2 ground stations in the same county?

STFXG

Very now that smart post is merging with ground.

It will still run its own separate operation though. As far as I know.

STFXG

Right. They created a new service so they wouldn't have to pay us for the volume taken (like with HD), and now that the volume is gone they can bring it back to Ground without any legal ramifications.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Reminds me of a Dr. Phil saying - "if they'll do it with ya, they'll do it to ya"

(yikes! - invoking Godwin and Dr. Phil in the same day - how low can a guy stoop?!!!) :crying:

It will be fine

Not without a "war" first.
The war is already being fought and the teamsters are losing. Right to work laws, general apathy by members, software created to eliminate the need for experience. I read on here that only 30 something percent of members even voted on the last contract. Ups will just take away from the workers knowing there is no will to strike. When their compensation comes down closer to our level the remaining members won't see much benefit to continue paying those dues.

SmithBarney

The war is already being fought and the teamsters are losing. Right to work laws, general apathy by members, software created to eliminate the need for experience. I read on here that only 30 something percent of members even voted on the last contract. Ups will just take away from the workers knowing there is no will to strike. When their compensation comes down closer to our level the remaining members won't see much benefit to continue paying those dues.

Despite both the companys rhetoric, experienced driver/courier will always run better than those without knowledge. UPS compensation is what keeps it from becoming the revolving door that FDX ground/express has become. I'm sure you would see a strike before you see people turning in their cards.

bbsam

Staff member
No software will ever replace driver knowledge or experience. That's just an engineer's pipedream.
Doesn't have to replace 100%. Just 70% or so to flatten out the learning curve. We've done it here in the last couple months. New driver, minimal experience on route, used scanner provided GPS turn by turn directions for a month, and now he's able to do it on his own. He's not as quick as the previous driver but he's adequate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No software will ever replace driver knowledge or experience. That's just an engineer's pipedream.

True but....

Doesn't have to replace 100%. Just 70% or so to flatten out the learning curve. We've done it here in the last couple months. New driver, minimal experience on route, used scanner provided GPS turn by turn directions for a month, and now he's able to do it on his own. He's not as quick as the previous driver but he's adequate.

...adequate may be what the company is shooting for.