2 tier pay system, easy 100 or not?

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
I had a discussion with the shop steward about the next contract and he was of the opinion the next contract will have a 2 tier pay system “ new hires would be making less at top rate”. I countered that here is no way the Union will ever let that happen, and if it where to happen we would have a huge target on our backs.

But he countered that the Union already has in the past, His example was the two part-time preloaders in our build, that make driver’s rate because they where grandfather in the 80’s .

He is so sure of it, he offer a bet of $100.00. What is your opinion, accept his offer or do you thing there will be a two tier pay system.

clarnzz

I don't think the Eye of Sauron would gaze upon the old schooler with the higher top rate top badly. It basically just focuses on people who don't perform or cause trouble.

With that said, I don't think it's a good idea.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well the Illinois contract which is separate from the rest of the country already has a tiered pay scale new hires top out at $25 I think. I do believe they will try to pass it and I don't think it will pass and it shouldn't for the reason you said all of us that are over 5 years from retirement it will put a huge target on our back.

UPSGUY72

I had a discussion with the shop steward about the next contract and he was of the opinion the next contract will have a 2 tier pay system “ new hires would be making less at top rate”. I countered that here is no way the Union will ever let that happen, and if it where to happen we would have a huge target on our backs.

But he countered that the Union already has in the past, His example was the two part-time preloaders in our build, that make driver’s rate because they where grandfather in the 80’s .

He is so sure of it, he offer a bet of $100.00. What is your opinion, accept his offer or do you thing there will be a two tier pay system.

Those PT making driver pay are because they have been with the company for ever there is not top rate for PTimers. IF you where a Pt timer for 30 years and started working in the 80's you would be making driver rate to and not because your grandfathered in. IF you stay PT for your entire time with UPS you will get raises every year so your pay will keep going up. As a PT timer your pay is based on the amount of time your have been with the company.

A two tier pay rate for FT driver would be a hard sell especially when the company is make billions of dollars a year.

OVERBOARD

Well the Illinois contract which is separate from the rest of the country already has a tiered pay scale new hires top out at $25 I think. I do believe they will try to pass it and I don't think it will pass and it shouldn't for the reason you said all of us that are over 5 years from retirement it will put a huge target on our back.
I was wasn’t aware that Illinois already had a 2 tier pay system, but would you make the bet?

OVERBOARD

A two tier pay rate for FT driver would be a hard sell especially when the company is make billions of dollars a year.
I was thinking the same thing but he seem pretty confidant that its going to happen. He said “the current employee's will sell out the future employee's”. I guess he thinks we all have. its all about me attitude.

Logb17

Something will have to change. If we keep getting dollar raises every year, ill be making 50 bucks an hour when I retire. I'm sorry, but that's a bit crazy. Either we take a freeze in pay or two tier.

Brownslave688

Something will have to change. If we keep getting dollar raises every year, ill be making 50 bucks an hour when I retire. I'm sorry, but that's a bit crazy. Either we take a freeze in pay or two tier.

Yeah $50 an hour sounds "crazy" just as $30 an hour sounded crazy to many guys 20 years ago. Your right we can't keep one dollar raises at some point they need to be more than that or you will be able to buy less with that money when your making $50 an hour than you can now making just over $30. You do understand inflation and how it works correct?

clarnzz

Your crazy, I deserve at least that right now! (god now im going to prove the people who think I'm a troll right), but hey wtf!

OVERBOARD

There is nothing wrong with you making 50 dollars a hour when you retire, just think when you retire gas will probably be 10 dollars gallon, milk will be 8 dollars a gallon and so on so on. The guy next to you will be thinking how you sold him out.

Just today I was talking to a old timer UPS retiree and he told me when he first started top pay was 3.10 a hour. It's all relative.

Brownslave688

Just read an article on average inflation (3.75%) our $1 raise is about 3% your already losing money. Ok so say your 25 now and you have a million dollars let that million dollars just sit til your 70 it would have the same purchasing power as $190,000 now. See why u need that raise now?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have mentioned the two tier pay system a few times on this forum. I believe that the company will include this in their contract proposal and will throw in a signing bonus to help get it passed. The proposal will include a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out. New FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract would fall under this system, if approved.

As stated above, this would put a huge target on the backs of those within 5 years of retiring.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I have mentioned the two tier pay system a few times on this forum. I believe that the company will include this in their contract proposal and will throw in a signing bonus to help get it passed. The proposal will include a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out. New FT hires as of the ratification date of the contract would fall under this system, if approved.

As stated above, this would put a huge target on the backs of those within 5 years of retiring.
I am coming around to the fact that UPS will try implement a two tiered wage proposal to decrease their labor costs down the road. They can only go so far increasing our productivity and efficiency while keeping our shipping rates in line with the competition. Since service is taking a backseat all we will have to offer is competitive shipping rates.
If two tier ever comes to pass you can bet that management would do their best to get rid of all of us old farts. Had a center manager a few years ago admit to me that she would like nothing more than to see all of us with 7 weeks vacation shown the door!