2011 IBT Presidential Debate

mamirk69

Does anyone have a video link to this debate? I know I can request a copy of the video from my local union but that might take three weeks.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
As soon as it is up on the election supervisor's website I intend to post a link (I believe there is also supposed to be a transcript). In addition:
  • You can request a free DVD copy from the Office of the Election Supervisor via e-mail, telephone, fax, or mail.
  • Each Local Union will have 3 copies to be made available to the members for viewing or copying.
  • Up to 20,000 copies will be provided to each candidate, for distribution as they see fit.
This is paraphrased from the Supplemental Rules for Conducting the International Officer Candidate Forum, dated August 17, 2011.

mamirk69

As soon as it is up on the election supervisor's website I intend to post a link (I believe there is also supposed to be a transcript). In addition:
  • You can request a free DVD copy from the Office of the Election Supervisor via e-mail, telephone, fax, or mail.
  • Each Local Union will have 3 copies to be made available to the members for viewing or copying.
  • Up to 20,000 copies will be provided to each candidate, for distribution as they see fit.
This is paraphrased from the Supplemental Rules for Conducting the International Officer Candidate Forum, dated August 17, 2011.

Thanks in advance for posting the link. I have read transcripts here and there but I do not think they are full transcripts.

mamirk69

mamirk69

I actually learned alot about all three candidates. One, Gegare and Hall let the cat out of the bag on what goes on behind closed doors and the under handed nonsense that went on with Central States. Two, Sandy has done some good for her local but she has also taken some hits in managing her local financially. The same could be said for the IBT under Hoffa especially this year when the IBT made 175 million and spent roughly over 200 million. Zuckerman is a man I could not vote for because I am a 22.3 and after hearing that he negotiated a contract to reduce the hours from 8 to 6 guaranteed and half their pension that raised an eyebrow from my perspective. I was one time waffling on who I was going to initially vote for but now I know the direction I am heading. hall is good negotiator but at the end of the day I simply think Ken is a stooge for Hoffa. Under the right leadership and direction Hall would be phenomenal and that is why I do not understand Hall following Hoffa. Hall is an intelligent man and handled himself well at the debate. Fred on the other hand dropped the ball in my opinion. Sandy had her ups and downs but seemed very genuine. Seeing this debate lets me know Hoffa has to go.

804brown

I actually learned alot about all three candidates. One, Gegare and Hall let the cat out of the bag on what goes on behind closed doors and the under handed nonsense that went on with Central States. Two, Sandy has done some good for her local but she has also taken some hits in managing her local financially. The same could be said for the IBT under Hoffa especially this year when the IBT made 175 million and spent roughly over 200 million. Zuckerman is a man I could not vote for because I am a 22.3 and after hearing that he negotiated a contract to reduce the hours from 8 to 6 guaranteed and half their pension that raised an eyebrow from my perspective. I was one time waffling on who I was going to initially vote for but now I know the direction I am heading. hall is good negotiator but at the end of the day I simply think Ken is a stooge for Hoffa. Under the right leadership and direction Hall would be phenomenal and that is why I do not understand Hall following Hoffa. Hall is an intelligent man and handled himself well at the debate. Fred on the other hand dropped the ball in my opinion. Sandy had her ups and downs but seemed very genuine. Seeing this debate lets me know Hoffa has to go.

I agree totally. It was amazing watching Kenny boy (Hoffa's standin) just attack the other two. When you have an awful record like Hoffa-Hall, all you can do is attack. Gegare was right on about Hall feeling the heat and sweating ike a pig. Gegare himself was pretty comfortable up there. He certainly was more animated. But he kept his arms crossed the whole time. What was he trying to show off his muscles to Sandy?? Sandy started slow but finished strong. She hit Hoffa-Hall hard on no new friend/T jobs at UPS and the need for solidarity against corporate America in the AFL-CIO. I would have liked to have seen more interaction between the candidates. Direct responses to allegations and attacks, etc.

Go Sandy GO!!

local89ups

The truth of the matter I am a UPS'er in Louisville and I seen the lies that Hall put out and I need to clear the air about the lies. I was one the benefited from the changes the Zuckerman did. The jobs were 3 hour jobs that went to 6 hour jobs Hall had it backwords. I am sure that was by design but I cant stand by and let the Lies go. I usually syay off thes blogs but enough is enough. Fred and his agents work very hard for us. How many Local leaders would threaten to SUE the IBT for a wrong decision regarding a discharge of a Brother. Becaus the panel screwed a brother Zuckerman was going to sue the IBT for the decision. That what we need and I have had issues but Fred does not deserve the bashing from HALL. Dont believe the bs Hall and Hoffa will do anything. Now I hear there is a conference call for stewards regarding the abuse at ups and the 22.3 jobs.First hall Falsehood Several times in the debate, hall accused Fred Z of negotiating a 6-hour day contract for UPS workers who were working 8 hours. This is an outright lie. “The 6-hour jobs were created from existing 3-hour part-time jobs -- not 8-hour full time jobs,” Zuckerman points out. “The part-timers voted to keep these 6 hour jobs in subsequent contracts. We currently have about 800 6 hour part timers who love these jobs. They get paid time and one half after 6 1/2 hours and better pension benefits than 3hour part timers.”
Second hall Falsehood hall also blamed Zuckerman for not keeping up with carhaul organizing, but his efforts were undermined repeatedly. Zuckerman appealed to Hoffa personally, the GEB, and the organizing department for years looking for assistance in organizing, which they denied. Zuckerman points out: “We started campaigns at United Road, Hansen Adkins, and CAR Transport that the IBT has ignored. As the non-unions grow, our industry has shrunk and it is because the IBT won't organize in core industries. Our division had one full time staff person (Buzzy Houck) who they fired in January 2010 because the IBT is broke.” Zuckerman also wrote a letter to Hoffa expressing dismay that his administration sabotaged a productive alliance with the UAW, when Hoffa’s henchman lied to UAW leader Bob King, falsely claiming that Zuckerman was no longer Carhaul director. Bob King and Zuckerman had traveled to Japan together to successfully persuade Japanese automakers not to outsource carhaul jobs to non union companies.
Third hall Falsehood Hall outrageously claimed that Fred Gegare knew that he and Hoffa had cut a deal with UPS which allowed them to remove 45,000 members from the multi-employer Central States Pension Fund. Fred Gegare was not on the bargaining team that met with UPS and was furious when he was called to Detroit by Hoffa in 2007 and informed him that UPS workers would no longer be part of the Central States Pension Fund which Gegare serves as chairman. “As a result of Hoffa’s action, the Central States Pension Fund lost 40 percent of its assets,” Gegare points out. Seeing UPS leave without opposition from Hoffa, some 192 employers also exercised their option to pull their employees out of the fund. Hall then tried to imply that Gegare would now seek to return these workers, but the Gegare has made it clear that he will fight to protect pensions, wherever they are currently held.
Fourth hall Falsehood Hall brazenly implied that Fred Gegare had not supported the demonstrations against Wisconsin Governor Walker’s union stripping bills, though Gegare was a key organizer who mobilized IBT locals across the state to participate 24/7 in Madison protests. He helped arrange for active and retired Teamster members from across the country to join the protests. Tom Bennett, President of Local 200 in Milwaukee says “At the debate, Hall made it sound as though this was about money and that the Joint Council had not been spending a lot of money during the protests, but it was never about money, it was about mobilizing our people and the Teamster presence was very substantial at these demonstrations.” Teamster trucks were visible throughout the protests.
Expect more of these dishonest attacks from the Hoffa gang as the campaign heats up and understand that those who have accomplished so little, are now very worried that the membership will see them for what they are -- check cashers, not leaders of a strong and proud union.
Give me a break I read on another blog that it seems Hall/Hoffa are useing this as a campaign tool three weeks from the ballots going out. Shame on you for useing our jobs and our contract for you political gain but you are to late it will not work.

mamirk69

The truth of the matter I am a UPS'er in Louisville and I seen the lies that Hall put out and I need to clear the air about the lies. I was one the benefited from the changes the Zuckerman did. The jobs were 3 hour jobs that went to 6 hour jobs Hall had it backwords. I am sure that was by design but I cant stand by and let the Lies go. I usually syay off thes blogs but enough is enough. Fred and his agents work very hard for us. How many Local leaders would threaten to SUE the IBT for a wrong decision regarding a discharge of a Brother. Becaus the panel screwed a brother Zuckerman was going to sue the IBT for the decision. That what we need and I have had issues but Fred does not deserve the bashing from HALL. I have attached the falsehoods from fred2011.com. Dont believe the bs Hall and Hoffa will do anything. Now I hear there is a conference call for stewards regarding the abuse at ups and the 22.3 jobs.First hall Falsehood Several times in the debate, hall accused Fred Z of negotiating a 6-hour day contract for UPS workers who were working 8 hours. This is an outright lie. “The 6-hour jobs were created from existing 3-hour part-time jobs -- not 8-hour full time jobs,” Zuckerman points out. “The part-timers voted to keep these 6 hour jobs in subsequent contracts. We currently have about 800 6 hour part timers who love these jobs. They get paid time and one half after 6 1/2 hours and better pension benefits than 3hour part timers.”
Second hall Falsehood hall also blamed Zuckerman for not keeping up with carhaul organizing, but his efforts were undermined repeatedly. Zuckerman appealed to Hoffa personally, the GEB, and the organizing department for years looking for assistance in organizing, which they denied. Zuckerman points out: “We started campaigns at United Road, Hansen Adkins, and CAR Transport that the IBT has ignored. As the non-unions grow, our industry has shrunk and it is because the IBT won't organize in core industries. Our division had one full time staff person (Buzzy Houck) who they fired in January 2010 because the IBT is broke.” Zuckerman also wrote a letter to Hoffa expressing dismay that his administration sabotaged a productive alliance with the UAW, when Hoffa’s henchman lied to UAW leader Bob King, falsely claiming that Zuckerman was no longer Carhaul director. Bob King and Zuckerman had traveled to Japan together to successfully persuade Japanese automakers not to outsource carhaul jobs to non union companies.
Third hall Falsehood Hall outrageously claimed that Fred Gegare knew that he and Hoffa had cut a deal with UPS which allowed them to remove 45,000 members from the multi-employer Central States Pension Fund. Fred Gegare was not on the bargaining team that met with UPS and was furious when he was called to Detroit by Hoffa in 2007 and informed him that UPS workers would no longer be part of the Central States Pension Fund which Gegare serves as chairman. “As a result of Hoffa’s action, the Central States Pension Fund lost 40 percent of its assets,” Gegare points out. Seeing UPS leave without opposition from Hoffa, some 192 employers also exercised their option to pull their employees out of the fund. Hall then tried to imply that Gegare would now seek to return these workers, but the Gegare has made it clear that he will fight to protect pensions, wherever they are currently held.
Fourth hall Falsehood Hall brazenly implied that Fred Gegare had not supported the demonstrations against Wisconsin Governor Walker’s union stripping bills, though Gegare was a key organizer who mobilized IBT locals across the state to participate 24/7 in Madison protests. He helped arrange for active and retired Teamster members from across the country to join the protests. Tom Bennett, President of Local 200 in Milwaukee says “At the debate, Hall made it sound as though this was about money and that the Joint Council had not been spending a lot of money during the protests, but it was never about money, it was about mobilizing our people and the Teamster presence was very substantial at these demonstrations.” Teamster trucks were visible throughout the protests.
Expect more of these dishonest attacks from the Hoffa gang as the campaign heats up and understand that those who have accomplished so little, are now very worried that the membership will see them for what they are -- check cashers, not leaders of a strong and proud union.
Give me a break I read on another blog that it seems Hall/Hoffa are useing this as a campaign tool three weeks from the ballots going out. Shame on you for useing our jobs and our contract for you political gain but you are to late it will not work.

If all this is true, why did Fred let Hall get away with his answers? Fred should have been able to point out the 3 hours jobs to 6 hours jobs and not give out answers after the fact of the debate. Fred should have been prepared for anything and everything.

SteeltownBrown

Can't help but feel the same way I felt watching the recent debates for President of the U.S. Is this the best we can get? Just as I will have to hold my nose and vote for somebody in that race I will have to do the same here.

local89ups

How do you prepare for every lie that comes at you. Call my brothers and sisters here at the Louisville and ask them Zuckerman did not give anything away what we have now we get overtime after 6.5 hours in fact we have alot of brothers and sisters that have had the chance to bid off this shift and job but have declined due to the money and the hours that they are making. The fact of the matter is this Hall lied and I think all UPS'ers need to know the truth. And if he commented on something that he didnt have the facts on you would be bashing on that. You are defending Hall who lied to us the rank and file member. I am not anyone but a brown package driver like alot of you I think we deserve to be told the truth. If you like the idea of being lied then so be it I am offended by Halls statements due to I live it everyday and Hall lied.

mamirk69

How do you prepare for every lie that comes at you. Call my brothers and sisters here at the Louisville and ask them Zuckerman did not give anything away what we have now we get overtime after 6.5 hours in fact we have alot of brothers and sisters that have had the chance to bid off this shift and job but have declined due to the money and the hours that they are making. The fact of the matter is this Hall lied and I think all UPS'ers need to know the truth. And if he commented on something that he didnt have the facts on you would be bashing on that. You are defending Hall who lied to us the rank and file member. I am not anyone but a brown package driver like alot of you I think we deserve to be told the truth. If you like the idea of being lied then so be it I am offended by Halls statements due to I live it everyday and Hall lied.

I am in no way a Hoffa supporter but I see situations for what they are. There is no way on this planet Gegare should have not had known that Zuckerman negotiated 3 hours to 6 hours while Hall claimed hours were reduced from 8 to 6. I also heard Fred state that Zuckerman had a lawsuit over this particular situation so there must be some truth to the matter. At the end of the day, all three candidates have flaws. IN MY OPINION, Hoffa slate have the most flaws based on the current management abuse and lack of contract enforcement but based solely on the debate Gegare did not impress me at all with his answers. I stated this also Sandy had her flaws also on answers but she was genuine. Hall was prepared and made lame duck excuses for Hoffa not being at the debate and Hall is not running for the IBT presidency so that alone was a slap in the face.