2012 Minimum Wage Increase

GoneBrown

The minimum wage in Washington state is going from $8.67 to $9.04 in January. Will UPS honor the wage increase for the folks making minimum wage in the new year?

brown bomber

brown bomber
What a sad commentary on the state of a UPS part-time job.
We should ALL be embarrassed.
At the present time I would not advise anyone to start as a part-timer @ UPS......unless, you're a student still covered on your parents health insurance..willing to put up w/ abuse......bust your ass, while making less....and if by chance, you do well and exceed,...you are not compensated.......you're better off working elsewhere

UPSGUY72

At the present time I would not advise anyone to start as a part-timer @ UPS......unless, you're a student still covered on your parents health insurance..willing to put up w/ abuse......bust your ass, while making less....and if by chance, you do well and exceed,...you are not compensated.......you're better off working elsewhere

That Bad advise even with the low starting pay for PTimers.

For the health insurance your only allowed to stay on your parents health care plan if they agree to it. It there choice not yours.

brown bomber

brown bomber
That Bad advise even with the low starting pay for PTimers.

For the health insurance your only allowed to stay on your parents health care plan if they agree to it. It there choice not yours.
find me a true "parent"..who would leave a child uncovered.......I would do whatever I could to ensure my kids were covered........common sense

klein

Für Meno :)
find me a true "parent"..who would leave a child uncovered.......I would do whatever I could to ensure my kids were covered........common sense

Well, if you didn't have a job at UPS and paid out of pocket $1500 and over per month (more then earnings for many), I guess you would need to move north, south , east or west.

Just choose any country besides Turkey.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is 24, a FT college student and a manager at Papa John's. Before Obamacare he would have come off the insurance once he turned 23--he is now eligible for coverage until he turns 26. We have to complete a certification form prior to each semester stating that he is a full time student and indicating whether or not his employer offers health care coverage so, no, it is not up to the parents health care plan if they agree to it--they are required to do so if the "child" is not offered health care coverage from their employer.

klein

My son is 24, a FT college student and a manager at Papa John's. Before Obamacare he would have come off the insurance once he turned 23--he is now eligible for coverage until he turns 26. We have to complete a certification form prior to each semester stating that he is a full time student and indicating whether or not his employer offers health care coverage so, no, it is not up to the parents health care plan if they agree to it--they are required to do so if the "child" is not offered health care coverage from their employer.

So you wanna obilish Obamacare, too - so your son is no longer a freeloader and belongs to the other uninsured 27% ?

Just wondering.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I don't understand why you can't pay an additional fee, if you choose, to keep you own adult uninsured children insured. I just don't get that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't understand why you can't pay an additional fee, if you choose, to keep you own adult uninsured children insured. I just don't get that.

As long as the "child" has not turned 26 and they are not offered health care coverage through their employer the parents' health insurer must offer them coverage at no cost. The only requirement is an annual (semi-annual if in college) certification form.

klein

Listen you NY'ler !
Manager at a pizza franchise earns probably around $12 US (here it's $15 or $16 an hr).
I know !

Don't make your boy sound better than he is, like you praise yourself more than you deserve.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Listen you NY'ler !
Manager at a pizza franchise earns probably around $12 US (here it's $15 or $16 an hr).
I know !

Don't make your boy sound better than he is, like you praise yourself more than you deserve.

OK, I don't know what the hell your problem is, but it is getting really old.

My son is a FT college student who is working at Papa John's for spending money. He will be graduating in December with a four year degree in Global Supply Chain Solutions.

The thread is about health care coverage for children and that is what my post was about. Our health insurer (NYS Teamsters Health and Welfare Fund) has been mandated to extend coverage to uninsured children who have not yet turned 26 and are not offered coverage through their employer. Papa John's does not offer health care to their employees, even the FT ones, so my son is now on my insurance.

I suppose it could be worse---he could be in his mid 40's, been fired from his job for drinking on the clock, pushing a hot dog cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

I don't know why UPS or any other US company should be paying for your son or even yourself.
But, I suppose that what makes all these companies uncompetitive and in a lot of cases just move overseas.

IF his Papa Johns franschise paid it for him and all other workers, that Pizza would become a few dollars more expensive.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As long as the "child" has not turned 26 and they are not offered health care coverage through their employer the parents' health insurer must offer them coverage at no cost. The only requirement is an annual (semi-annual if in college) certification form.
It's amazing how many don't grow up til they are in their 30's.