2013 Customer Service Hall of Fame No. 4: UPS

Returntosender

2013 Customer Service Hall of Fame - MSN Money
'Excellent' rating: 41.3%
UPS (UPS) routes 16.3 million packages a day. On its busiest day last year, Dec. 20, it delivered 28 million.
'Customer experience' isn't seen as a separate unit or department, says the company. It is the rubric under which all other decisions are made, and have been since the company's first deliveries by foot and bicycle in Seattle in 1907.
"In other companies, these groups are typically under separate senior management," said Larry Darrow, the president of UPS global business services. At UPS, all proposals funnel up to what it calls 'customer experience,' and if an idea is bad for customers, it can be killed point-blank.
UPS uses union workers and does not hire contract drivers. "We have to enable our employees to be successful, so they can deliver success to our customers," Darrow said. "We have to treat our employees like they're our customers."
UPS posted revenue of $54.13 billion in 2012.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The fact that we deliver over 16 million packages per day nationwide is pretty amazing when you stop and reflect on it for a moment, and both management and hourly deserve credit for all the planning, logistics and hard work that make such a feat possible.

However...the idea that, "...if an idea is bad for our customers it can be killed point-blank" and...."we have to enable our employees to be successful so that they can deliver success to our customers" is a flat out lie. At UPS, operational decisions are based on wishful thinking and a fear-based pursuit of arbitrary metrics rather than any realistic assessment of the needs of the customers. In other words; in the AM we eliminate routes based upon a desire to generate the demanded SPC metric and look good on the report, and then in the PM we scramble around in desperation trying to find a way to stave off the service failures that we have intentionally set ourselves up for. The results might look good on a report but its not the ideal way to run a service business.

laffter

The fact that we deliver over 16 million packages per day nationwide is pretty amazing when you stop and reflect on it for a moment, and both management and hourly deserve credit for all the planning, logistics and hard work that make such a feat possible.

However...the idea that, "...if an idea is bad for our customers it can be killed point-blank" and...."we have to enable our employees to be successful so that they can deliver success to our customers" is a flat out lie. At UPS, operational decisions are based on wishful thinking and a fear-based pursuit of arbitrary metrics rather than any realistic assessment of the needs of the customers. In other words; in the AM we eliminate routes based upon a desire to generate the demanded SPC metric and look good on the report, and then in the PM we scramble around in desperation trying to find a way to stave off the service failures that we have intentionally set ourselves up for. The results might look good on a report but its not the ideal way to run a service business.

Those are some good words, man.

rudy5150

"We have to enable our employees to be successful, so they can deliver success to our customers," Darrow said. "We have to treat our employees like they're our customers."

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA:tiesmiley::upssmiley:

UPS (UPS) routes 16.3 million packages a day. On its busiest day last year, Dec. 20, it delivered 28 million.
'Customer experience' isn't seen as a separate unit or department, says the company. It is the rubric under which all other decisions are made, and have been since the company's first deliveries by foot and bicycle in Seattle in 1907.
"In other companies, these groups are typically under separate senior management," said Larry Darrow, the president of UPS global business services. At UPS, all proposals funnel up to what it calls 'customer experience,' and if an idea is bad for customers, it can be killed point-blank.
UPS uses union workers and does not hire contract drivers. "We have to enable our employees to be successful, so they can deliver success to our customers," Darrow said. "We have to treat our employees like they're our customers."
Was that dude drinking when he made this statement.

nicky

And after this interview Larry Darrow returned to his off where he slaughtered 5 trees to run the countless number of reports in order to catch a driver who spent 17 extra seconds at his 149th stop, the audacity!

Buck Fifty

However...the idea that, "...if an idea is bad for our customers it can be killed point-blank" and...."we have to enable our employees to be successful so that they can deliver success to our customers" is a flat out lie. At UPS, operational decisions are based on wishful thinking and a fear-based pursuit of arbitrary metrics rather than apoetryny realistic assessment of the needs of the customers. In other words; in the AM we eliminate routes based upon a desire to generate the demanded SPC metric and look good on the report, and then in the PM we scramble around in desperation trying to find a way to stave off the service failures that we have intentionally set ourselves up for. The results might look good on a report but its not the ideal way to run a service business.

Everything sober types sounds like poetry or a parable to me. He has a beautiful mind.

Its like poetry in motion. Name that tune. Will get you some pos kharma.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
"We have to enable our employees to be successful, so they can deliver success to our customers," Darrow said. "We have to treat our employees like they're our customers."

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA:tiesmiley::upssmiley:
Actually, I would say that UPS does treat the employees like the customers...they really don't give a :censored2: about either.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
OK, that's it
I'm leaving now...I quit
I was unwise, so don't you apologize
I paid the price, for taking your advice
I felt it all.....
​Just like a cannonball

Style is based on repetition and limitation.

​I think I have listened to Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb a thousand times."
No the guy is a good writer. If the international would get with the times and get a real web site for teamsters to get information like this one they should employ a guy like sober to be on it. He's that good.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

I don't know which would be worse. This guy purposely lying or actually believing what he is saying.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Style is based on repetition and limitation.

​I think I have listened to Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb a thousand times."

Well, I've been with UPS for a little over 26 years, so by my math that would be something like six thousand three hundred PCM's I have stood there and listened to. And that number doesnt even begin to include the number of disciplinary and operational meetings I have been a participant in over that period of time.

Style? Repetition? Limitation? When it comes to the art of dispensing pure, unadulterated BS in a skillful and believable manner, I have spent 26 years learning from the best. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Most of this stuff writes itself, all I gotta do is type.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, I've been with UPS for a little over 26 years, so by my math that would be something like six thousand three hundred PCM's I have stood there and listened to. And that number doesnt even begin to include the number of disciplinary and operational meetings I have been a participant in over that period of time.

Style? Repetition? Limitation? When it comes to the art of dispensing pure, unadulterated BS in a skillful and believable manner, I have spent 26 years learning from the best. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Most of this stuff writes itself, all I gotta do is type.

So, how many times have you listened to "Working Man"?

Rush - Working Man - YouTube