2014 medical plan

vintageUPSer

has anyone received the 2014 medical options. ( for retirees) i usually get it la te october and must respond by end of November
thanks
jim

OldManAllowance

I also had the same question...I was told no changes to the coverage, but I would think a review is in order for dependents like kids in college or death (hate to even mention that one!) of a spouse. Has the "affordable" health care law affected this?

obama

got something in the mail a month ago and had until Oct 20-something to reply. No reply = same coverage as 2013. Call the benefits line and ask them to mail you the info for 2014. Too late to change anything though.

oldngray

nowhere special
I just got a letter in mail from UPS about changes in health insurance. As of now I am still under the UPS plan ($50 per month). UPS supposedly agreed at the last minute to allow retirees covered under the UPS plan to keep the same coverage. This new letter states that after all of the supplements pass I will be transitioned to a Teamster administered plan with more information to be provided later. I assume that is Teamcare although the letter didn't state that specifically. UPS has not sent ANY previous information about insurance changes to me (except the one last year saying my premiums would increase to $247 per month before the contract was settled - never any letter explaining why I was still being billed at the previous rate or why it didn't change). If it wasn't for what I read about the insurance here on Brown Cafe I would be totally in the dark. It does look like UPS is quietly backing away from their promise to allow retirees to keep the same insurance now when nobody is paying attention though.

oldupsman

I just got a letter in mail from UPS about changes in health insurance. As of now I am still under the UPS plan ($50 per month). UPS supposedly agreed at the last minute to allow retirees covered under the UPS plan to keep the same coverage. This new letter states that after all of the supplements pass I will be transitioned to a Teamster administered plan with more information to be provided later. I assume that is Teamcare although the letter didn't state that specifically. UPS has not sent ANY previous information about insurance changes to me (except the one last year saying my premiums would increase to $247 per month before the contract was settled - never any letter explaining why I was still being billed at the previous rate or why it didn't change). If it wasn't for what I read about the insurance here on Brown Cafe I would be totally in the dark. It does look like UPS is quietly backing away from their promise to allow retirees to keep the same insurance now when nobody is paying attention though.

I didn't get that letter oldngray. And as far as I know, and I just checked with my local, I will remain with my UPS plan. Plus
guys who retire by the end of this year will be grandfathered in also. My monthly premium will increase to 300 per month
by 2018. Having said all that I'm mentally preparing myself to get totally screwed. And next week my wife is going in
for a breast biopsy. Praying for the best, preparing for the worst. Physically and mentally.

oldngray

nowhere special
I didn't get that letter oldngray. And as far as I know, and I just checked with my local, I will remain with my UPS plan. Plus
guys who retire by the end of this year will be grandfathered in also. My monthly premium will increase to 300 per month
by 2018. Having said all that I'm mentally preparing myself to get totally screwed. And next week my wife is going in
for a breast biopsy. Praying for the best, preparing for the worst. Physically and mentally.

I retired 2 years ago and was supposedly grandfathered in, but of course with retiree plans UPS and/or Teamsters are free to do almost anything they want. I have been expecting to get screwed eventually. It was just a question of when and how badly. And the whole retiree system is so screwed up that letter I got may have been incorrect. Maybe some Wally in a cubicle sent the info that would apply to future retirees to everyone. It also said more details would be sent later so for now its just wait and see and the longer it takes all of the supplements to pass the longer changes will be delayed.

oldupsman

Thanks. She's playing tough guy but I can tell she's scared. And now with this health insurance
thing hanging over our head she feels bad about it, like it's her fault. I just keep saying, let's stay positive.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thanks. She's playing tough guy but I can tell she's scared. And now with this health insurance
thing hanging over our head she feels bad about it, like it's her fault. I just keep saying, let's stay positive.

I have a good friend who has been taking treatments for breast cancer all year. She just went in for routine mammogram and they found a tumor. It was spreading very aggressively and she was lucky they found it in time. Surgery, then chemo, and now radiation. She will finish her treatments next week but its been a horrible year for her. I pray your wife won't have to go through that.

oldupsman

I have a good friend who has been taking treatments for breast cancer all year. She just went in for routine mammogram and they found a tumor. It was spreading very aggressively and she was lucky they found it in time. Surgery, then chemo, and now radiation. She will finish her treatments next week but its been a horrible year for her. I pray your wife won't have to go through that.

Well, that's her worse fear. And if for some reason we would lose our insurance, she would battle me all the way
on getting treatment. I can just imagine the nightmare of changing from my current plan to Teamcare right in the
middle of this whole process. GOTTA STAY POSITIVE.

The Milkman

I retired 2 years ago and was supposedly grandfathered in, but of course with retiree plans UPS and/or Teamsters are free to do almost anything they want. I have been expecting to get screwed eventually. It was just a question of when and how badly. And the whole retiree system is so screwed up that letter I got may have been incorrect. Maybe some Wally in a cubicle sent the info that would apply to future retirees to everyone. It also said more details would be sent later so for now its just wait and see and the longer it takes all of the supplements to pass the longer changes will be delayed.

I got a letter the other day also, my wife turns 65 in Feb. so she gets the boot. That is why I got the letter. I called anyway and said I want to remain on the same plan I have been last 10-12 yrs. She said if I do nothing it will continue. But as far as the $50 bucks a month, untill the contract is all settled ,that will be the price. When I get a letter telling me otherwise, I assume then that any increases will be included. 3 more yrs before I get the boot off anyway so I got a good ride so far.

oldupsman

Got my letter yesterday. This letter said I will remain under the current UPS plan until the contract is ratified.
At that time I will be transitioned into a "new UPS-administered retiree health plan." Also states,
"You will receive future communication regarding this transition after the collective bargaining agreement is ratified."
What that means, who knows. Complete change in coverage? Premium increase? The local said my coverage
would stay the same but with a premium increase, which I expected. But this says a NEW health plan.

oldngray

nowhere special
Got my letter yesterday. This letter said I will remain under the current UPS plan until the contract is ratified.
At that time I will be transitioned into a "new UPS-administered retiree health plan." Also states,
"You will receive future communication regarding this transition after the collective bargaining agreement is ratified."
What that means, who knows. Complete change in coverage? Premium increase? The local said my coverage
would stay the same but with a premium increase, which I expected. But this says a NEW health plan.

Translated I read that as "details as to how bad you will get screwed later".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I got a letter the other day also, my wife turns 65 in Feb. so she gets the boot. That is why I got the letter. I called anyway and said I want to remain on the same plan I have been last 10-12 yrs. She said if I do nothing it will continue. But as far as the $50 bucks a month, untill the contract is all settled ,that will be the price. When I get a letter telling me otherwise, I assume then that any increases will be included. 3 more yrs before I get the boot off anyway so I got a good ride so far.
Translated I read that as "details as to how bad you will get screwed later".

Please refer to these changes in the future as "enhancements".

cragmont

If you retire before Jan 1st you will be under the UPS Plan you are presently under. After Jan 1st you will be under Teamcare When the contract is settled you will pay $100 a month per couple in 2014,$200 in 2015, $300 in 2016. Nothing is mentioned about 2017 and 2018. This was discussed in the master and said that The Union and Company have a mutual understanding to this payment schedule when the contract settles. It also said that the insurance will be moving to a straight 80-20 split in network and 70-30 out of network. The company plan has a $500,000 lifetime max per person where Teamcare has a$200,000 annual max. So pick your poison. Other than that there's nothing else stated, so a lot of gray area. I chose to retire before the first. Feel more comfortable having UPS handle my insurance. But in either scenario the retire is thrown under the bus.

oldupsman

If you retire before Jan 1st you will be under the UPS Plan you are presently under. After Jan 1st you will be under Teamcare When the contract is settled you will pay $100 a month per couple in 2014,$200 in 2015, $300 in 2016. Nothing is mentioned about 2017 and 2018. This was discussed in the master and said that The Union and Company have a mutual understanding to this payment schedule when the contract settles. It also said that the insurance will be moving to a straight 80-20 split in network and 70-30 out of network. The company plan has a $500,000 lifetime max per person where Teamcare has a$200,000 annual max. So pick your poison. Other than that there's nothing else stated, so a lot of gray area. I chose to retire before the first. Feel more comfortable having UPS handle my insurance. But in either scenario the retire is thrown under the bus.

That's pretty much the same thing my local told me. But now with this letter who knows.

pretender

I received the same letter. Are you paying $300 each, or is that for both of you? I am already paying $400 for the two of us.

oldngray

nowhere special
I just got my bill for next quarter today. Retiree under UPS plan and is still $150 per quarter (still same $50 per month) - for just me.

oldupsman

I received the same letter. Are you paying $300 each, or is that for both of you? I am already paying $400 for the two of us.
I'm still only paying 50 a month for both of us. Been that way since I retired 6 years ago. Now my local told me
my premium would go up to 100 a month for 2014, 200 a month for 2015 and 300 a month for 2016. That would be for
both of us. Nothing changes until contract is ratified.