2018 UPS 9.5 hour per day per route standard

9.5 work day as a National Standard for every Full Time employee

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rpoz11

Poll to establish how many Full Time employees wish to make 9.5 hours worked a National standard for all.
This polls means every route is factual, not to request into 9.5 t in.
That every route is effectively 9.5; period.

O

OLDMAN3

Voted no because it sounds like you are asking if the "standard" day should be change from the current 8 hours to 9.5 hours.

rpoz11

This poll should be understood as NO MORE THAN 9.5 hours worked maximum per day

May I clarify that we all shall not work more an 9.5 hours per day maximum, to be written into language as a permanent right from 2018 forward.

Lets make this known

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We should have ( negotiated ) language that places us ALL in the 9.5 catagory from the start of the year. Then, on a separate list, there should be a sign up list for those that want extra overtime.

The US postal service does this and it works out just fine.

This way, there would be NO grievances for excessive overtime. The company would have to plan for all routes to be 9.5 unless exempted by the driver himself who would sign up for overtime without restrictions.

Those that want it, can have it. Those that want to go home to their families and take care of their bodies over a 25 year career can do so. There would never be any arguments.

Right now, UPS is working everyone up to 13 hours. I worked on monday until 10pm in package this week. They didnt care. My first day back in package after being in feeder all year.

We go back to feeder next week and believe me, 12 hours in feeder is NOTHING like 8 hours in package.

TOS.

Oak

Be careful what you ask for. Max 9.5 for every driver would actually guarantee every driver was available for Saturday delivery.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
We should have ( negotiated ) language that places us ALL in the 9.5 catagory from the start of the year. Then, on a separate list, there should be a sign up list for those that want extra overtime.

This way, there would be NO grievances for excessive overtime. The company would have to plan for all routes to be 9.5 unless exempted by the driver himself who would sign up for overtime without restrictions.

Those that want it, can have it. Those that want to go home to their families and take care of their bodies over a 25 year career can do so. There would never be any arguments.

Right now, UPS is working everyone up to 13 hours. I worked on monday until 10pm in package this week. They didnt care. My first day back in package after being in feeder all year.

We go back to feeder next week and believe me, 12 hours in feeder is NOTHING like 8 hours in package.

TOS.
Ive been saying it for years have 2 driver shifts. 1 shift gets done early and 2nd shift runs a lot of airs, bulk, and a lot of pickups. 2nd shift would be younger guys and or guys that wanted a lot of ot. Get rid of the loaders, let drivers load their own trucks to cut down on poopy loads ad misleads and just have part time guys on the unload. My father in law even said it the other night at dinner" You guys schedule and getting home that late is just ridiculous" Ditto dude, it is stupid as hell lol.

beentheredonethat

Ive been saying it for years have 2 driver shifts. 1 shift gets done early and 2nd shift runs a lot of airs, bulk, and a lot of pickups. 2nd shift would be younger guys and or guys that wanted a lot of ot. Get rid of the loaders, let drivers load their own trucks to cut down on poopy loads ad misleads and just have part time guys on the unload. My father in law even said it the other night at dinner" You guys schedule and getting home that late is just ridiculous" Ditto dude, it is stupid as hell lol.

There are some pros with this and some cons. In areas far from center where drivers take an hour to get on area, you now would have 4 total hours just driving to and from on area with two shifts. (2 hours for each of two drivers). I would think there is some benefit to designating areas that are close to building be a low plan paid day area. Thereby having more driver routes. Areas that are far away from building would be planned out as having a higher paid day. IN that way, a driver who wants more hours bid on the routes that are designated as a higher paid day route. Drivers who want less hours bid on routes that have a designated lower paid day. (I'm from area of country where we bid each year -- I realize other areas are different). I think having a few driver runs in the early AM for air delivery as well as extra driver runs for bulk ground pickup make a lot of sense. The AM drivers would allow the regular drivers to break trace less often, the PM drivers would allow the local sort to start up with enough work to keep them busy. The main goal should be to have a reasonable paid day during majority of year and then be able to increase it during peak. I think most people would agree it's reasonable to work long days for the 4-5 weeks prior to Christmas. However, it is not realistic to work 10+ hours per day for 52 weeks a year. (Or even over 9.5 hours each day of the year).

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
There are some pros with this and some cons. In areas far from center where drivers take an hour to get on area, you now would have 4 total hours just driving to and from on area with two shifts. (2 hours for each of two drivers). I would think there is some benefit to designating areas that are close to building be a low plan paid day area. Thereby having more driver routes. Areas that are far away from building would be planned out as having a higher paid day. IN that way, a driver who wants more hours bid on the routes that are designated as a higher paid day route. Drivers who want less hours bid on routes that have a designated lower paid day. (I'm from area of country where we bid each year -- I realize other areas are different). I think having a few driver runs in the early AM for air delivery as well as extra driver runs for bulk ground pickup make a lot of sense. The AM drivers would allow the regular drivers to break trace less often, the PM drivers would allow the local sort to start up with enough work to keep them busy. The main goal should be to have a reasonable paid day during majority of year and then be able to increase it during peak. I think most people would agree it's reasonable to work long days for the 4-5 weeks prior to Christmas. However, it is not realistic to work 10+ hours per day for 52 weeks a year. (Or even over 9.5 hours each day of the year).
Totally agree with ya:bigsmile2:

CHALLY9TX

TOS.

Always thought the same.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rpoz11

Regional Addendum's and Regional Supplemental language across the country obviously will differ based upon the operational demands accordingly. This can be addressed in that manner.

8-Hour work days exist daily in areas where that occurs.

In other Regional areas across the country, those workers face more deliveries and volume density.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
By all, do you mean all the workforce, or UPS'ers? I say that because we now have record numbers of Americans working zero. Something like 92 plus million.

rpoz11

My suggestion is directly at 8-9.5 hour work days for full time employees.

Again, 8 hour per day , 40 hour per week guaranty is there.
For those who are forced to work past that 40 hour week and past 8 hours per day, then with this language the company will not work the full time employee past 9.5 hours per day.
Unless that person , as suggested by TOS, signs up and or volunteers for extra work.
Extra work is offered daily in my area.

rpoz11

We should have ( negotiated ) language that places us ALL in the 9.5 catagory from the start of the year.

TOS.

TOS,
what are your thoughts on how this 9.5 language would work in the feeder operation?