22.3 combo job posting

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Very weak language in the contract with 22.3's. UPS has to create them and then maintain them. The contract doesn't say that they have to maintain them in the locations they were opened in. So if you have a 22.3 in Yuma, AZ they can cut it and move it to Phoenix. IMO 22.3 positions is just asking to be financially at risk when they cut it. If your really high up in seniority and you've had your job for some time, then your relatively safe. They will move your job around the building though. They've done that in Spokane. Most of the guys there have not worked the same combo shift for longer than a year at one time.

I'mTheMan

Here in Seattle hub, they're still layoff more 22.3 which is still in process. Once it's completed, then 22.3 will be eliminated the jobs by then. However, it'll keep a few for peak season and then finished it off for good. I wondered if economy will show improvement and get better volume next year? Will UPS re-open up 22.3 or not? I think UPS will not reconsider it.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I had 20 years in driving before i bid to 22.3 preload/air driver. It's a small center though i'm the only 22.3 there.

where are you located? sounds like you are in area where they use classification seniority.otherwise you can bump any driver in any center with less years than you.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Here in Seattle hub, they're still layoff more 22.3 which is still in process. Once it's completed, then 22.3 will be eliminated the jobs by then. However, it'll keep a few for peak season and then finished it off for good. I wondered if economy will show improvement and get better volume next year? Will UPS re-open up 22.3 or not? I think UPS will not reconsider it.

are you guys gonna do anything about this? anyone contacted any labor lawyers yet?

RedThunder

I'm in South Carolina. Local 509. I've been a package driver and a vacation/coverage feeder driver. We have classification seniority, has to be an opening to bid from pkg to feeder, feeder to pkg etc.. I really don't know if i can bump out a package driver or not. I don't really want to go back to package but i'll do whatever i have to. The first year i was 22.3 i probably drove package 30-40 days or so whenever they were short. This year maybe only once or twice.

The e-mail came in from division manager on Friday 10/10 and said my position was laid off effective on Monday 10/13. I could bump a preloader and if there was no air to run i had to be sent home. If i wanted to come back to the local sort and bump another part-timer i could but i would not be guaranteed 8 hours. No one told me until i was about two hours into my shift on Monday, it was a part time sup. who told me, so i got my 8 hours that day.

I was actually took the layoff for the next two days before i started to bump the preloaders to get some hours. Then starting that Friday i was told that i had to come in to cover preload positions for the next three weeks because of vactions and personals. But i'm still not getting my guarantee and i am getting sent home after the sort goes down. I'm going to file on that this Friday. So far my BA has said that they can move the position if they want but they have to give me the opportunity to follow it. I don't really have any idea how it's going to work out.

If nothing else we have a feeder driver retiring in 6 months and i'll bid on that if i have to.

I'mTheMan

are you guys gonna do anything about this? anyone contacted any labor lawyers yet?

Well the grievances were filed last late July of this year and it also filed to NLRB at the same time. Right now we have a Western Supplemental Panel hearing next week on monday for 3 days or so. Hopefully by friday of next week, we'll see what's going to happen. This is for affection of 3 locations of jobs layoffs for 22.3 for Redmond, Boeing Field, and Seattle. It's been a while that union has done nothing to keeping us up to date till whenever we hears something so we're pretty mad to both sides now and I don't see that both parties aren't coming up a real solution.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Start thinking about a class action lawsuit.
Its time to put the union & the company on notice that we want our jobs.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor

this might be the only way to go. it seems like the company and the union gave us the contract book to wipe our butt with it. it's so hard to fight corruption at this level, but i think it's worth everyone's time. after all this is your livelihood.........

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Rebids in 22.3s? Not sure whats going on, but alot of us (including me) arent doing our bid jobs. Not sure if this is going to be a local 25 thing this February, or just local, either. more to follow later