22.3 Full-time senority vs Part-time with more years.

Mattaniah

I am trying to find a reg. that tells me if i have seniority over part-timers with more years in than me. I have heard by word of mouth that by taking my 22.3 full-time position i have seniority over part-timers with more years in than me but i would like to find a current reg. that tells me this is or isn't the case.

Any help and or direction is greatly appreciated!

PT Car Washer

I am trying to find a reg. that tells me if i have seniority over part-timers with more years in than me. I have heard by word of mouth that by taking my 22.3 full-time position i have seniority over part-timers with more years in than me but i would like to find a current reg. that tells me this is or isn't the case.

For what purpose?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Why?

Mattaniah

My center has a bid for a full-time driving position and I was told by my supervisor that a part-timer has more seniority over me, so i wouldn't be getting that position. But I've always been told that full-timers always supersede part-timers on a bid for a route. Just trying to find a reg that tells me which way is correct.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My center has a bid for a full-time driving position and I was told by my supervisor that a part-timer has more seniority over me, so i wouldn't be getting that position. But I've always been told that full-timers always supersede part-timers on a bid for a route. Just trying to find a reg that tells me which way is correct.

IF you pay dues grieve it

IF not you take what they give
You

cachmeifucan

You should but ups violates the contract every chance they get. They probably have to fulfill the 22.3 jobs won in last contract to be filled in the last year and if u make a lateral bid then they might have to put your job up to existing full-time then to part time employee. In cach 705 the supervisor send 22.3 home every day because they say we only gar. 8 hours but part time get overtime almost 7 a day. And the gar. 3.5 hours. Seniority shall prevail in any and all instance but it never does. The union stance is I think as long as the part time employee isn't over 5 hours and on over time they can but then if you come in the next day see they got over time then you can file. Usually once u file they stop sending you home but if you don't file they repeat.

cachmeifucan

And it all depends on how good your stewards and b.A are lucky for us if you ask the union for help we get it but most people just get upset but never follow through. Or don't know the rights. I would never listen to anyone in management says about the contract all they do is lie

brown_trousers

I've been reading through the contract and i can't seem to find anything that specifically says "Full-time employees have seniority over part-time employees when bidding for a full-time route."
There will definetely be contract language explaining the bid to FT driving process, and usually a 22.3 people bid onto the same FT driving list that everyone signs up for once a year.

The other option, if your contract allows it for bidding purposes, would be to claim an established practice of promoting combo workers before part timers

Rack em

Made the Podium
Depends where you are at. Here Full time Trump's part time.
I don't agree with that. If a part timer has 15 years of company seniority and a 22.3 driver has only 8 years company seniority, then the PT wins the bid. The bid is for a FT position, so overall seniority should prevail. IMO

brown_trousers

I don't agree with that. If a part timer has 15 years of company seniority and a 22.3 driver has only 8 years company seniority, then the PT wins the bid. The bid is for a FT position, so overall seniority should prevail. IMO
I agree. If the contract says company seniority is used for bidding to FT driving. Then that is the way it should be.

It sounds like there are a lot of locals out there that create their own rules to circumvent contract language

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It can depend on the job.

What is it..... newly created 22.3, existing 22.3, package or feeder ?

The OP didn't really specify.

-Bug-

Fragile

I've seen it happen several times.

Part timer beats out FT ground driver into a feeder bid because the PT had more seniority.

RealPerson

Depends on how your building runs the seniority list.. Also what is the job / bid? some 22.3 jobs only allow full time to bid... I am part time and bump a 22.3 that has less years than me, for positions and vacation.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Depends on how your building runs the seniority list.. Also what is the job / bid? some 22.3 jobs only allow full time to bid... I am part time and bump a 22.3 that has less years than me, for positions and vacation.
That is a local practice. Here, no part-timer is going to bump a FT 22.3 off vacation. I pick before 30 year part-timers. Also, according to the contract, unless you have a specific bid (you are bidding start times and/or route), no one can pick a specific load or unit..you are put where you put. The only language says "age and physical condition will be considered", nothing about seniority. Also, any preferred job should go to a part-timer, given the 22.3 already has one "preferred" job half. However, no part-timer is going to bump a FT off of their preferred job.

brown_trousers

That is a local practice. Here, no part-timer is going to bump a FT 22.3 off vacation. I pick before 30 year part-timers. Also, according to the contract, unless you have a specific bid (you are bidding start times and/or route), no one can pick a specific load or unit..you are put where you put. The only language says "age and physical condition will be considered", nothing about seniority. Also, any preferred job should go to a part-timer, given the 22.3 already has one "preferred" job half. However, no part-timer is going to bump a FT off of their preferred job.
I believe that would be a different issue. It sounds like the OP is talking about the bid to become a FT ground driver. The same bid that part timers sign to become a FT driver.

BigBrown1234

At my location 22.3 dove tail into the sort in seniority order PT/FT even for vacation. Their replacement is pulled from the PT ranks, so 22.3 on vacation only affects the PT ranks.
The FT drivers filed for this because 22.3 kept blacking out weeks for the regular package drivers but they are not part of their operation.