22.3 Job bumping part timers

cudwortho

Hello all~

I work on the Local Sort with a few other part timers and a 22.3 employee. The 22.3 employee usually washes and parks trucks, cleans building, runs air and left in building packages, etc. Lately the sup has told him to work on the belt which is taking time away from the part timers. He is off loading trucks which has always been a part timers responsibility and in turn he hasn't been washing as many trucks per night.

Is this OK? He does have seniority over all of us, but I want to make sure he can work on the local sort and basically bump part timers out of work.

By The Book

Yes. Most extended centers in our local have multiple 22.3 and multiple feeder runs. We have the work needed to have the same.
You've been here a long time and may have had those promised 22.3 jobs from years ago reduced and reconfigured like most centers. The trick is to talk with your business agent and try to get one created.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You've been here a long time and may have had those promised 22.3 jobs from years ago reduced and reconfigured like most centers. The trick is to talk with your business agent and try to get one created.

I work in one of the largest hubs in the country and we haven't had a new 22.3 job created (in fact, we've lost dozens from attrition) since 2005/2006.

If it was that easy, I think we would've done it by now.

SquirrelBoggie

The problem in our hub is a lot of the guys that have a 22.3 job been getting fired, quitting, and/or becoming drivers. So now the vacant jobs just vanish, can UPS do that?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The problem in our hub is a lot of the guys that have a 22.3 job been getting fired, quitting, and/or becoming drivers. So now the vacant jobs just vanish, can UPS do that?

This is a big problem in my part of the country. The only way a 22.3 can be "held" is for a 22.3 that went into feeders until he attains "feeder seniority" as the company prefers to lay them off back to their old job rather than finding them new work. The jobs aren't necessarily vanishing as the company is required to maintain these jobs nation wide (or take work off the rail and create feeder runs instead), they're simply being removed from your building. Each job has a code tied to it that can be verified by your BA through the International in order to track where the job went.

The IBT initially had proposed contract language in the NMA that would at least keep 22.3's within the same local, but that language got scrapped pretty early.

RealPerson

I like reading how it is different around the USA in the Centers. In our center the Drivers go to the 22.3 jobs and gladly take a pay cut. I think only recently did we have a 22.3 put in for a driving job, but that is to cover his ass, because they are eliminating my shift that has 7 positions that will bump him out (maybe).

We can't even get part timers to go full time driving, when many years ago, it was a minimum 5 year wait for Ft driving.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is a big problem in my part of the country. The only way a 22.3 can be "held" is for a 22.3 that went into feeders until he attains "feeder seniority" as the company prefers to lay them off back to their old job rather than finding them new work. The jobs aren't necessarily vanishing as the company is required to maintain these jobs nation wide (or take work off the rail and create feeder runs instead), they're simply being removed from your building. Each job has a code tied to it that can be verified by your BA through the International in order to track where the job went.

The IBT initially had proposed contract language in the NMA that would at least keep 22.3's within the same local, but that language got scrapped pretty early.
What would we need to do to try and create a 22.3 in my center? We have one but other buildings our size have more. Our center has always been run with their absolute bare minimum if everything so we've been left out on allot of things.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
What would we need to do to try and create a 22.3 in my center? We have one but other buildings our size have more. Our center has always been run with their absolute bare minimum if everything so we've been left out on allot of things.

Divvying up 22.3 jobs (in my view and experience) is almost entirely political on the union side. Some locals/hubs receive an inordinate amount of the jobs while others (like mine) don't see any.

Hell, the hub(s) in Tennessee look like they received over 100+ jobs in the last few months while the rest of the south has just been shafted.

The 22.3 committee is chaired by Hall (for IBT) and Rosentrater (for UPS). They're the ones deciding where the jobs go.

Overpaid Union Thug

Divvying up 22.3 jobs (in my view and experience) is almost entirely political on the union side. Some locals/hubs receive an inordinate amount of the jobs while others (like mine) don't see any.

Most of those 22.3s likely went to the Whites Creek hub.

Hell, the hub(s) in Tennessee look like they received over 100+ jobs in the last few months while the rest of the south has just been shafted.

The 22.3 committee is chaired by Hall (for IBT) and Rosentrater (for UPS). They're the ones deciding where the jobs go.