22.4 combination FT off the street new hire

Brownst0ne

Howdy folks hope this finds you well

I’m in the process of being hired on as a full time combination driver under the 22.4 article, and I have a few questions.

I’m currently in a good job at a good company making $23/hr. I have not been looking for other employment but have family members that drive for UPS who have been talking to me about getting in, so I set up a profile and have been checking daily for opportunities, only because I understand the career opportunity of being a driver for UPS is immense. I saw an opportunity for this position and applied, made it through road test and the 5s & 10s so that I’m eligible for intigrad. I’m scheduled to start training in about a week. I will be making my decision over the next day or two as to whether I should give my notice at my current job and commit to UPS as a career decision.

Here are my questions -

- being hired on as a 22.4 driver, what are the consequences should I (for whatever reason) fail to make it through integrad, or be DQ’d before my packet is up
- will I be working a full 40 each week until I can bid to a regular route? Or will I be filling in and only being compensated for hours worked, given labor demands.
- will I only be eligible as a union member once I complete my packet? Will I be protected by the union beforehand?
- will I have a regular training route? Meaning, will I be on the same route throughout my packet?

I’ve been researching nonstop since this opportunity presented itself as I want to make the most responsible decision for myself and my family. We cannot afford to lose a source of income should this fall through, and I have nothing to fall back on, aside from the little we have in savings. I’m a very hard worker and am used to the backbreaking labor that comes along with any job that has high productivity demands. I’m mostly just worried about not making it through my packet given varying routes and not being able to find a groove because you have no set route.

I guess I’m just asking - If you were in my position, what would you do?

I appreciate any response and respect the work you all do.

Roller252

Well if it helps you at all with your decision I pursed this job for 8 yrs. (RPCD NOW) If this is what you want to do and as you stated you've researched the job and know what you are getting into then I say go for it. Yes the hours can be long and management can be a pain but the benefits far out way the negatives in the long run. Just be absolutely sure that your wife and family are on board. Good Luck.

JustDeliverIt

I’m in the process of being hired on as a full time combination driver under the 22.4 article, and I have a few questions.

I’m currently in a good job at a good company making $23/hr. I have not been looking for other employment but have family members that drive for UPS who have been talking to me about getting in, so I set up a profile and have been checking daily for opportunities, only because I understand the career opportunity of being a driver for UPS is immense. I saw an opportunity for this position and applied, made it through road test and the 5s & 10s so that I’m eligible for intigrad. I’m scheduled to start training in about a week. I will be making my decision over the next day or two as to whether I should give my notice at my current job and commit to UPS as a career decision.

Here are my questions -

- being hired on as a 22.4 driver, what are the consequences should I (for whatever reason) fail to make it through integrad, or be DQ’d before my packet is up
- will I be working a full 40 each week until I can bid to a regular route? Or will I be filling in and only being compensated for hours worked, given labor demands.
- will I only be eligible as a union member once I complete my packet? Will I be protected by the union beforehand?
- will I have a regular training route? Meaning, will I be on the same route throughout my packet?

I’ve been researching nonstop since this opportunity presented itself as I want to make the most responsible decision for myself and my family. We cannot afford to lose a source of income should this fall through, and I have nothing to fall back on, aside from the little we have in savings. I’m a very hard worker and am used to the backbreaking labor that comes along with any job that has high productivity demands. I’m mostly just worried about not making it through my packet given varying routes and not being able to find a groove because you have no set route.

1. If you don't make it through the week of Integrad you are out automatically. If you don't make it through the first 30 days you are out automatically. Depending where you are in the country, each building has different needs. If you are at a building that is short drivers and you are close to their numbers on day 29, they may keep you. If they are testing the waters for drivers and you don't meet their number, even if they tell you that you are doing good, they may let you go on day 29. Honestly, it will be managements decision and the union protection doesn't kick in until you qualify.

2. You will work 40+ hours a week depending on how busy your building is. As a 22.4, you may work inside the building and drive part of the day. You may drive all day. Up to management but it is a combo job and work as directed. More than likely you won't see the inside of the building but it is a possibility.

3. You are a union member once you qualify and stay on. Until then you are at the mercy of your management team.

4. Typically, you are on the same route when you qualify. Different regions have different supplemental contract language that will cover this.

Honestly, if you have family members that drive at UPS then those are the people you should be talking to. Get a lay of the land (how hard up is your building for drivers, what the management team is like). If they are really pressed for drivers, it's a calculated risk that if you put the effort in you could get the job. Your family members that work at the building would be your best source of information.

It isn't an easy place to work for. The job itself isn't bad at all if you like physical work. The micromanagement from supervision is probably the most annoying aspect. You learn over time that it doesn't mean much but it does get to a good amount of people. Good luck with whatever you choose.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you don't have a good chance at getting your old job back, and you really aren't in a solid financial position, it may be too high a risk to try for this job. Literally any little thing could go wrong and your family could be out on the street. On the other hand, that's just how life is. If you want to improve your lot in life, you have to take chances.

UPSerSheik

Victim of mediocrity
@Brownst0ne If you already have a good gig and are happy/doing okay financially, I'd say just stick with what you're doing. Like the others said, any one of a number of things could happen at Integrad or in those 30 days, so it's no guarantee that you'll get the job. As an off the street hire who doesn't know UPS management games, you're putting yourself even more at risk.

But it is a good job and is worth it if you qualify, so don't be totally discouraged or dissuaded. But if you really want to go the UPS route, for sure check with your company and see if you can take an extended leave of absence or try to find a plan B in the meantime. Good luck and best wishes whatever you choose.

What'dyabringmetoday???

1. If you don't make it through the week of Integrad you are out automatically. If you don't make it through the first 30 days you are out automatically. Depending where you are in the country, each building has different needs. If you are at a building that is short drivers and you are close to their numbers on day 29, they may keep you. If they are testing the waters for drivers and you don't meet their number, even if they tell you that you are doing good, they may let you go on day 29. Honestly, it will be managements decision and the union protection doesn't kick in until you qualify.

2. You will work 40+ hours a week depending on how busy your building is. As a 22.4, you may work inside the building and drive part of the day. You may drive all day. Up to management but it is a combo job and work as directed. More than likely you won't see the inside of the building but it is a possibility.

3. You are a union member once you qualify and stay on. Until then you are at the mercy of your management team.

4. Typically, you are on the same route when you qualify. Different regions have different supplemental contract language that will cover this.

Honestly, if you have family members that drive at UPS then those are the people you should be talking to. Get a lay of the land (how hard up is your building for drivers, what the management team is like). If they are really pressed for drivers, it's a calculated risk that if you put the effort in you could get the job. Your family members that work at the building would be your best source of information.

It isn't an easy place to work for. The job itself isn't bad at all if you like physical work. The micromanagement from supervision is probably the most annoying aspect. You learn over time that it doesn't mean much but it does get to a good amount of people. Good luck with whatever you choose.
(Depending on location).

22.4 driver

Here are my questions -

If you for a stable job that you like keep . You will make more money than 23$ an hour as a driver but that’s if you make it . Most don’t . So you’re taking a risk .

churn n’ burn

You say you have a good job at a good company, sounds like you're happy at this job, I would stay. How much could you be making there in 4/5 years? Have good benefits? What do you do?

JJinVA

It is a risk, as with anything in life worth pursuing. I dont know what you do for that $23 an hour youre currently making or how much room you have to advance in the company, but this job is extremely demanding. Some days are better than others, but the bad days will whip your whole a**. 150lb trampolines, 150lb Bo-flex machines, a mountain of irregs blocking your entire walkway and dispatch sends you to your first stop on the 8000 shelf in the back of the truck, only for the delivery to be a tinee tiny envelop buried under a mountain of boxes... lol

If I would have had a job paying a steady $23 an hour before coming to UPS, knowing what I know now, I probably would have stayed at my job. Not only because of the risk that you might not make the cut, but also, driving is one of the highest risk occupations out there right now with drinking and driving, heroin addicts passing out, and people texting and driving. Its chaotic on the road 12 hours everyday. Not to mention since you have a family, the hours youre expected to work will put stress on your personal life. I usually have just enough energy to come home, eat, take a shower, talk some smile* on the net for a little while, and then crash.

Its a good job if you really need the money, or if youre single. But otherwise its a bit to manage.

Brownst0ne

You say you have a good job at a good company, sounds like you're happy at this job, I would stay. How much could you be making there in 4/5 years? Have good benefits? What do you do?
I’m a warehouse manager. Getting close to the top of my pay range now but I’ve been with the company for almost 7 years. Not doing too bad for a 25 y/o without a degree. Company has great benefits and a vestment package, though the vestment doesn’t go into effect until January, so I’d lose out on that too.

542thruNthru

giphy-3.gif

Accidental post...:)

22.4 driver

I’m a warehouse manager. Getting close to the top of my pay range now but I’ve been with the company for almost 7 years. Not doing too bad for a 25 y/o without a degree. Company has great benefits and a vestment package, though the vestment doesn’t go into effect until January, so I’d lose out on that too.

23$ an hour as a manger ?! I’d stay there to make my resume glorious and than go elsewhere and make more money . But I’m just a no skilled driver .

21Savage

Didn't read what anyone else said but always bet on yourself.

I took the same leap of faith and I made it.

The determined ones always make it. The apprehensive ones who need their hands held and question everything fail. If you know you're a hard worker you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Bust your ass through intergrad and qualification then take it slow(er) and take care of your body and mind throughout the years. The biggest thing to get through ups in my opinion is patience. Be glad you skipped out on preload. The retirement opportunity is great, you can’t beat the benefits, and the pay will take care of you and your family during the work years and after.
Also understand what you signed up for. You are a (technically) t-sat. Get apart of the union and get to understand what your contract states for your position. Find a good shop steward in your center and have them give the rundown. Management will try sometimes to get you to do things outside your contract and try to intimidate you on many things. Don’t break on it. Know when to say no and know when you can’t say no.