22.4 Combo Driver Bid: ADVICE NEEDED!

Newly Accepted 22.4 Driver

Howdy,

I signed the bid to become a 22.4 combo driver the week before Labor Day and was accepted the following week. After completing all the requirements (chauffer license, DOT physical, on road test) I was told by some Drivers that I would need to start learning my 5's and 10's.

I immediately put together a study guide and scoured any internet forums/YouTube videos for information about the job. A lot of videos were dated and some stuff I did find was a little vague.

I have issues with learning. I have to learn being hands on with a lot of repetitive information so that my brain can soak it in. I was great in school, but was easily bored. I want to take this position very seriously as I've been with the company now for 5 years and have learned everything on my sort from loading trucks, unloading, small sort, picking, internationals, and clerk work.

The only thing I've never done was Pre-Load which i know is a whole different beast, and driver helper. Of which now, I regret because some people have told me this is a good way to learn the operations of loading and understanding how the package cars get ready for delivery.

Now on to the point of this thread:

I haven't gone to intergrad yet. Aside from learning verbatim the 5's and 10's, what else should I know?

What am I learning about the package cars?
How am I preparing each load?
What is the best way to organize?
How should I prepare?
Is there any information from YOU as DRIVERS or PRE-LOADERS that is beneficial to making everyone's lives easier, in terms of organization, preparedness, awareness etc?
What are the delivery processes like?
How can I be honest about mistakes and :censored2:-ups?
What can I do to make sure I am explaining issues with Clerks and Supervisors?
How do I handle possible misloads, or mistakes when it's brought up by supervisors?
How do I handle supervisors if it seems like I'm being harassed or taken advantage of?
How do I handle customers (homes) or businesses?
What should I know about intergrad before even starting?
What should I be aware of when driving my package car?

If you've made it this far down, I appreciate the commitment and possible response. I understand that most of this stuff will probably be covered in training. I'm I'm trying to cover my basis every which way so I can study hard and memorize everything I'm supposed to.

This is my first career and only job I've ever taken seriously. I really do enjoy working here and when the bid sheet went up, I was first on the list to sign. I'm ready to do something different and make better changes for myself and financially.

If you had an easy time going through intergrad, I envy you. But I'm really looking for honest and helpful answers. Thanks in advance!

Red Headed Stranger

Integrad wasn't bad as long as you have your 5's and 10's memorized. There is quizlet online that will help you (similar to flashcards)
https://quizlet.com/67918135/ups-flash-cards .
Also, spend the $14.99 for this book on Amazon:

25 DIAD Training Tips You Wish You Knew: The best quick and easy way to increase DIAD knowledge Paperback – September 3, 2019​

It helped me get ahead of the curve. Good luck to you!

charm299

Howdy,

I signed the bid to become a 22.4 combo driver the week before Labor Day and was accepted the following week. After completing all the requirements (chauffer license, DOT physical, on road test) I was told by some Drivers that I would need to start learning my 5's and 10's.

I immediately put together a study guide and scoured any internet forums/YouTube videos for information about the job. A lot of videos were dated and some stuff I did find was a little vague.

I have issues with learning. I have to learn being hands on with a lot of repetitive information so that my brain can soak it in. I was great in school, but was easily bored. I want to take this position very seriously as I've been with the company now for 5 years and have learned everything on my sort from loading trucks, unloading, small sort, picking, internationals, and clerk work.

The only thing I've never done was Pre-Load which i know is a whole different beast, and driver helper. Of which now, I regret because some people have told me this is a good way to learn the operations of loading and understanding how the package cars get ready for delivery.

I haven't gone to intergrad yet. Aside from learning verbatim the 5's and 10's, what else should I know?

How should I prepare?
Is there any information from YOU as DRIVERS or PRE-LOADERS that is beneficial to making everyone's lives easier, in terms of organization, preparedness, awareness etc?
How do I handle possible misloads, or mistakes when it's brought up by supervisors?
How do I handle supervisors if it seems like I'm being harassed or taken advantage of?

If you've made it this far down, I appreciate the commitment and possible response. I understand that most of this stuff will probably be covered in training. I'm I'm trying to cover my basis every which way so I can study hard and memorize everything I'm supposed to.

This is my first career and only job I've ever taken seriously. I really do enjoy working here and when the bid sheet went up, I was first on the list to sign. I'm ready to do something different and make better changes for myself and financially.

If you had an easy time going through intergrad, I envy you. But I'm really looking for honest and helpful answers. Thanks in advance!
take some adderall, you’ll be Einstein within minutes

DetBurblotski

I would ask around and see if anyone has come on as a Cover Driver (TCD) in the last 12 months. If management in your building is still hiring TCDs then I would hold out and see if a bid sheet comes up for that position. This is a whole thing in my hub. Management took on a bunch of us as 22.4s last year and told us that was the only option we had to drive for UPS. Union didn't say a thing and even a couple shop stewards echoed what management said (though, they will deny it now).

Long story short, a bunch of us went straight from preload to 22.4 and got stuck in the four year pay progression (which starts at $20.50/hr). Other drivers came on just a few months after us and they were TCDs making 85% of top rate (about $32/hr last year, now almost $34/hr). Those drivers are now being converted to 22.4 and being red circled in at the higher rate.

Ask around. See if management hired TCDs in the last 12 months. If they did they likely will when peak kicks into gear. You've already met the requirements to get into integrad they would definitely give you a shot.

DO NOT TRUST THE UNION. Ask your fellow UPSers about this.

As for how to pass integrad it seems like you're pretty serious about studying and getting good at the job so you'll probably be fine.

I would ask around and see if anyone has come on as a Cover Driver (TCD) in the last 12 months. If management in your building is still hiring TCDs then I would hold out and see if a bid sheet comes up for that position. This is a whole thing in my hub. Management took on a bunch of us as 22.4s last year and told us that was the only option we had to drive for UPS. Union didn't say a thing and even a couple shop stewards echoed what management said (though, they will deny it now).

Long story short, a bunch of us went straight from preload to 22.4 and got stuck in the four year pay progression (which starts at $20.50/hr). Other drivers came on just a few months after us and they were TCDs making 85% of top rate (about $32/hr last year, now almost $34/hr). Those drivers are now being converted to 22.4 and being red circled in at the higher rate.

Ask around. See if management hired TCDs in the last 12 months. If they did they likely will when peak kicks into gear. You've already met the requirements to get into integrad they would definitely give you a shot.

As for how to pass integrad it seems like you're pretty serious about studying and getting good at the job so you'll probably be fine.
Just remember you'll have more seniority than them guys. You'll be thankful for that during your career

DetBurblotski

Dude, the president of my local said the same thing and you know what? That's a bunch of BS. I'm not that far ahead of those other guys. I'm going to lose out on tens of thousands of dollars over the course of four years. Whatever small amount of seniority I'm going to have isn't worth that.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

Dude, the president of my local said the same thing and you know what? That's a bunch of BS. I'm not that far ahead of those other guys. I'm going to lose out on tens of thousands of dollars over the course of four years. Whatever small amount of seniority I'm going to have isn't worth that.
It will make a big difference when you get RPCD a position before he does

DetBurblotski

How? I'll still be in pay progression...

And if they become an RPCD within 12 months after me? Actually it will probably be more like 6 months. But honestly tell me why that justifies me losing at least $30000+ just this calendar year alone?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

Howdy,

How should I prepare?

You will work Saturdays and possibly 6 days a week for years 😂

YOULL NEVER BE A RPCD
🧔✊

Integrad wasn't bad as long as you have your 5's and 10's memorized. There is quizlet online that will help you (similar to flashcards)
https://quizlet.com/67918135/ups-flash-cards .
Also, spend the $14.99 for this book on Amazon:

25 DIAD Training Tips You Wish You Knew: The best quick and easy way to increase DIAD knowledge Paperback – September 3, 2019​

It helped me get ahead of the curve. Good luck to you!
Thank you for this!

542thruNthru

Sounds like that was the only option at the time to go driving. The union doesn't know when management will be hiring TCD in 2 months or 2 years.

DetBurblotski

Sounds like that was the only option at the time to go driving. The union doesn't know when management will be hiring TCD in 2 months or 2 years.
If the union knows there's a possibility management will hire TCDs in the near future it is their job to warn us not to sign a 22.4 bid sheet. TCDs were coming on just 3 months after I started driving as a 22.4. NOBODY from the union warned me that might happen. I would have never signed the bid sheet if they did!

OP, print this thread out. Find people you trust who have been with UPS for a more than a while. Who are NOT affiliated with the union. Ask for their advice about this. Do not go from preload to 22.4 even if management and the union are telling you it's your only option.

542thruNthru

If the union knows there's a possibility management will hire TCDs in the near future it is their job to warn us not to sign a 22.4 bid sheet. TCDs were coming on just 3 months after I started driving as a 22.4. NOBODY from the union warned me that might happen. I would have never signed the bid sheet if they did!

OP, print this thread out. Find people you trust who have been with UPS for a more than a while. Who are NOT affiliated with the union. Ask for their advice about this. Do not go from preload to 22.4 even if management and the union are telling you it's your only option.
There is always a "possibility". How would the union know. You're blaming the local for something they can't control. UPS doesn't tell them what type of position or time frame they will be hiring.

Sorry you're so bitter that you got a FT position.

DetBurblotski

Are you shop steward? You sound like one. This is why I'm telling OP to ignore you guys.

I'm bitter because guys who started a few months after me have recently been converted to the same FT position I have. And they're making $12+ more an hour than me.

I'm going around to everyone in my hub telling them "don't sign any 22.4 bid sheets". Why isn't the union do the same thing?

Are you shop steward? You sound like one. This is why I'm telling OP to ignore you guys.

I'm bitter because guys who started a few months after me have recently been converted to the same FT position I have. And they're making $12+ more an hour than me.

I'm going around to everyone in my hub telling them "don't sign any 22.4 bid sheets". Why isn't the union do the same thing?
Don't sign those bid sheets and let everyone underneath you pass you up