22.4 drivers, and the teamster conference call.

PaulWall

I sat through this conference call today, all I wanted to do is ask if regular driver hours are protected. Tell me that if I want to work I get to work. Until I get that confermation I'm voting NO! YOU SHOULD TOO!

WHY...

UPS is going to deliver packages as cheaply as they possibly can. Why wouldn't they.

If they can work a 22.4 driver 60 hours a week with no worries of 9.5 grievances they will.

I've been told the 22.4 jobs are combo (meaning they have to work part of the day inside). NOT SO!
The company can use these drivers anyway they want.

Yes your job as a driver is safe and protected.
If you want to work more then 8 hours in a day that time might be over if these jobs get created.

Granted these jobs only apply to centers that will be delivering weekends.
I guarantee that if your center delivers Saturdays, you will have a 25% increase in lower paid coworkers that will ensure that you will work no more then your guaranteed 8 hours a day.

Other then the creation of the 22.4 jobs this contract seems alright. Across the board our pay package is increased. I think stronger language needs to be put in place to protect regular package driver work. Essentially if driver wants the OT the 22.4 driver gets to kick rocks.

Big Babooba

if you are a RPCD, you WILL NOT have a 40 hour guarantee. You will be guaranteed 8 hours IF WORK IS AVAILABLE. With weekend deliveries you can gutting Monday workloads, there will be layoffs.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I sat through this conference call today, all I wanted to do is ask if regular driver hours are protected. Tell me that if I want to work I get to work. Until I get that confermation I'm voting NO! YOU SHOULD TOO!

WHY...

UPS is going to deliver packages as cheaply as they possibly can. Why wouldn't they.

If they can work a 22.4 driver 60 hours a week with no worries of 9.5 grievances they will.

I've been told the 22.4 jobs are combo (meaning they have to work part of the day inside). NOT SO!

If you want to work more then 8 hours in a day that time might be over if these jobs get created.

I guarantee that if your center delivers Saturdays, you will have a 25% increase in lower paid coworkers that will ensure that you will work no more then your guaranteed 8 hours a day.

Other then the creation of the 22.4 jobs this contract seems alright. Across the board our pay package is increased. I think stronger language needs to be put in place to protect regular package driver work. Essentially if driver wants the OT the 22.4 driver gets to kick rocks.
How can you ever protect a job by creating another lower paying job that does the same thing? Makes zero sense.

What it does do, is create more income for the union. Of course, this is at the expense of the regular driver.

It's not just UPS that this money grabbing is goin on at. It's a reality that machines are eventually going to be common, safer and more economical means of transport. Rarely will a human ever be involved in the process. Mechanics and engineers will be the last ones out the door.

Skilled drivers are just not something companies want to invest in anymore. The "I'll just drive a truck if it goes to hell and get paid tons" is no longer a reality.

I'd agree it's still too soon for this technology to replace a fleet of operators, but if UPS doesn't start a new generation of new people accepting bad pay at ungodly hours, they'll never be able to recover or gain ground when these people are 15-20 years in, let alone circle of honor drivers in 2050 when people will be 3d printing food.

Opinion | The Trouble With Trucking

I can't see them mitigating the loss of technology based transport unless they start heavily investing in companies that can make good, small, long-lasting light-weight batteries for vehicles.

When I signed on I thought we had a union and then found out people north and south of me make $3 more an hour and my local rolled over. If this contract passes I'll be at $13 but they'll still be at $15?

My three years service means nothing since it won't stack my raises. Regardless, my state minimum wage will surpass the $13 by the time I'm up for my next wage increase.

What the :censored2:? Who rigged this :censored2:?

In the linked article, there is this goodie. I'm wondering how you drivers feel about these statements.

From the NY Times:

"The American Trucking Associations, citing its own research, claims that long-haul drivers with irregular routes can earn more than $53,000 a year. The group adds that many trucking companies offer signing bonuses to try to attract new workers, and that drivers who work for private corporate fleets often earnsalaries of more than $86,000 a year. Indeed, drivers who work as employees of companies like Walmart and UPS make a middle-class income, have predictable schedules and enjoy other benefits. Some drivers in the industry, including at UPS, are represented by the Teamsters union. But those drivers are the top echelon of the occupation and are not representative of the hundreds of thousands of people who toil in the industry’s underbelly."

James Bennet, the editorial board page editor can be reached on Twitter @JBennet and his deputy editorial page editor Kathleen Kingsbury (@katiekings).

Indecisi0n

TatteredSadBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

if you are a RPCD, you WILL NOT have a 40 hour guarantee. You will be guaranteed 8 hours IF WORK IS AVAILABLE. With weekend deliveries you can gutting Monday workloads, there will be layoffs.
If I am a RPCD without a 40 hour guarantee and am only guaranteed 8 hours IF WORK IS AVAILABLE. Right now....So what, not an issue.

Smashmouth

WHY...

I am pretty that question was answered on the call. Pretty sure Fred Z said it is definately a real possibility that 22.4s could take some hours from RPCDs on Mondays. Obviously in supplements that have a daily guarantee this may not be an issue, but our southern supplement has no guarantee, just a 24 hour requirement for notice of layoff, so they could call you on saturday after the 22.4s work and tell you the volume is down for monday and we only need X amount of drivers. The 22.4 language needs to go away, but at the very least there needs to be clear cut protections for RPCD.

It's already close to becoming an issue at my center.

First the rpcd's loved the relief on Monday. Then Mondays stopped being days of preload calling out and became the days of management asking people to leave.

Saturday sort & delivery by 22.4's has cut our volume approximately 20% on Monday. A driver delivered my 8566 HIN at 1500 hours. We've lost substantial Amazon. If the rest of Amazon and sure post disappeared I doubt we would need rpcd's to fill the retirements and quits, too.

When do the days come when management starts telling drivers not to come in?

silverbullet2893

KILL KILL!!

First the rpcd's loved the relief on Monday. Then Mondays stopped being days of preload calling out and became the days of management asking people to leave.

Saturday sort & delivery by 22.4's has cut our volume approximately 20% on Monday. A driver delivered my 8566 HIN at 1500 hours. We've lost substantial Amazon. If the rest of Amazon and sure post disappeared I doubt we would need rpcd's to fill the retirements and quits, too.

Weird how in different parts of the country the volume is different. My buddy sent me a pic a couple days ago and it looked like he was driving for Amazon. Lol.

Delivering HIN #8566 at 3:00 doesn’t mean anything.

When volume is down, mgmt always tells drivers they are laid off that day.

I had six cars on 1650 pkgs and only really saw them in SP bags. There's always the diapers and other stuff from Amazon that don't have the obvious packaging, but I've seen a larger reduction in those but a major increase in over 70s and heavy bulks.

Last week one bulk had to FDR/FDL and RDR/RDL to keep the weight in the car balanced. It still looked like it was about to drag ass.

Every time something unusual happens like this, management acts all unexpected or like they just seen a magic trick.

Delivering HIN #8566 at 3:00 doesn’t mean anything.

When volume is down, mgmt always tells drivers they are laid off that day.

Weird cause the next morning when I was loading his car he said he was back at center by 1600. Sometimes this route runs until 8pm.

F

Frankie's Friend

If I am a RPCD without a 40 hour guarantee and am only guaranteed 8 hours IF WORK IS AVAILABLE. Right now....So what, not an issue.
So less work may be available. That's an issue.
Let's see...
Laid off on mondays now...
Laid off on Monday and Tuesday next.
Hmmm.
Cant quite grasp that issue.
Sounds like he was light that day. Maybe should have cut his route.
Whatever you think. You're always right.
RCD is all you need. Loading one stop in 4 places is making the driver unnecessarily dig it out.
No dude, Orion is all about digging and for the idiots it's about climbing.

Let's see...
Hmmm.

Laid off Monday, Tuesday, Thursday....retirement is great. I don’t do ORION.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Let's see...
Hmmm.

You can’t argue with this guy. He’s taken over for Upstate as the company guy who will never side with the union. He’s always right, and never on “our” side.