22.4 guarantee

I was hired on as a 22.4 last year, and I qualified before peak. I'm in the mid Atlantic area.

The only work I've done so far is driving. Up until recently, I'd been working 5 days per week, usually for about 8 hours. Recently, though, I've been coming in to find that they don't have a route for me. This has happened one day each of the last 4 weeks. They always ask me to wait until everyone has left the building, just in case someone doesn't show and they need me, and then I go home.

I have a couple concerns/questions:

1. Is this consistent with what other 22.4's are experiencing?

2. Is this consistent with the guarantee as described in the contract?

3. What are my rights as far as being put to work?

Thanks,

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I was hired on as a 22.4 last year, and I qualified before peak. I'm in the mid Atlantic area.

The only work I've done so far is driving. Up until recently, I'd been working 5 days per week, usually for about 8 hours. Recently, though, I've been coming in to find that they don't have a route for me. This has happened one day each of the last 4 weeks. They always ask me to wait until everyone has left the building, just in case someone doesn't show and they need me, and then I go home.

Thanks,
Same thing is happening here but our 22.4s got run into the ground from Nov-Jan, so they have all been cool with the layoffs. I’m pretty sure that you are a FT UPS employee, which means you should be able to get your 40 if you demand it. Might have to work inside on the preload. Might have to work the preload then go run some air

Inputnamehere

Thanks,
As long as you showed up to to work you have an 8 hour guarantee. They need to put you to work. If they send you home, you can file and get paid for your 8 hour guarantee.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Thanks,

You need to read your Supplemental Agreement(s) and talk with your Steward.

As long as you showed up to to work you have an 8 hour guarantee. They need to put you to work. If they send you home, you can file and get paid for your 8 hour guarantee.

Not in the Central Region.

It's 6 hrs for "show up" pay and 8 hrs.... if put to work.

Also, a 22.4 would be a "10%'er" and not have a 40 hr guarantee.

-Bug-

542thruNthru

-Bug-

Question.

22.4 #5 says he is garunteed 8 hours 5 days a week if reporting as scheduled. It also says that paragraph #5 shall supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

So what would it matter what his supplmental said?

He's being told to show up and wait. That sounds like he's being scheduled and should get 8 hours to me.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Question.

22.4 #5 says he is garunteed 8 hours 5 days a week if reporting as scheduled. It also says that paragraph #5 shall supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on the same subject.

So what would it matter what his supplmental said?

He's being told to show up and wait. That sounds like he's being scheduled and should get 8 hours to me.

Can't disagree.

Thanks for all the input so far.

I read my supplement, and I didn't see anything about my guaranteed hours in it, so I assume I'm covered by the national agreement. My steward couldn't tell me what my initiation fee was supposed to be to the union, so I'm not entirely confident he'll be able to help me with this.

I guess my next concern is that if I make a stink about this, they'll just tell me to stop coming in, and I'll ultimately end up with even fewer hours. I like to think I have a decent relationship with my supervisor currently, I'd rather keep it that way.

542thruNthru

I read my supplement, and I didn't see anything about my guaranteed hours in it, so I assume I'm covered by the national agreement. My steward couldn't tell me what my initiation fee was supposed to be to the union, so I'm not entirely confident he'll be able to help me with this.

I guess my next concern is that if I make a stink about this, they'll just tell me to stop coming in, and I'll ultimately end up with even fewer hours. I like to think I have a decent relationship with my supervisor currently, I'd rather keep it that way.

A couple things....

Do you know what teamster local you are?

Do you have anyone below you in seniority?

Were you a off the street hire?

Staydryitsraining

The consecutive 8 hour language for 22.4s just went to panel and was thrown out by the union. It officially means nothing, that means 22.4s can be forced to split shift to get their 8.

Staydryitsraining

If your being told to report to work to drive and not driving file for your 8. If they dont have work for you work preload file against pt air drivers and show up to another warehouse shift.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?

Please dont be afraid to rock the boat and stand up for your rights. Too many around here that get rolled over because they dont want to cause a "fuss". Your union dues aren't just for :censored2:s and giggles.

DOK

Thought 22.4’s were guaranteed 40 per the Master agreement?

-Bug-