25 years ago we was on strike

JonDoe

No brother, I think you're missing the point. This conversation started off about UPS taking over the pension for all upsers. I've shown you that, that would not be better for all UPS teamsters. I'm sorry your pension is in trouble but I can say that if UPS took over all UPSers pension we would all be screwed. So... lesser of two evils.
I guess that is your opinion, but from where I stand my pension is fine(while UPS has it) until CS takes over when I hit 65, so you see how I feel.

JonDoe

I feel for you, I really do. I supported the Butch Lewis act because I want to help everyone with a failing pension.

I guess that is your opinion, but from where I stand my pension is fine(while UPS has it) until CS takes over when I hit 65, so you see how I feel.
So that brings up another issue. Under this contract UPS will cover any shortages by CS when I hit 65. What happens with the next contract? Am I still covered for CS loss's even after the bailout and say they get rid of that clause out of the contract?

Again if I retire before 2023 contract.

Thebrownblob

So that brings up another issue. Under this contract UPS will cover any shortages by CS when I hit 65. What happens with the next contract? Am I still covered for CS loss's even after the bailout and say they get rid of that clause out of the contract?

Again if I retire before 2023 contract.
I don’t want to scare you but it’s renegotiated every contract and is never a guarantee at least it hasn’t been so far. Some sort of a wink and a nod and a gentleman‘s agreement which we all know what kind of gentleman UPS is

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was there in '97. I still have the picket sign I was carrying. Had my 12 year old son walking with me. He started with ups in the hub at 16 while in high school. He left to join the navy, came out and eventually went back to ups, where they reinstated his seniority date and gave him the back raises. I believe he has 19 years with them now, and he works in my old feeder department.

Attachments

• IMG_4477.jpg
    IMG_4477.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 33

Pullman Brown

Our local told us this! we were told at Union Meetings that 22.4 would work inside then come on area and take work off of us. The company would win having lower paid people performing full time work,the Union would win as more Full Time Dues would be collected and the Drivers would win as we would have reduced overtime.........I guess two outta three aint bad lol

I’m just curious but any of you old old timers remember anything equivalent to this 22.4 Company/Teamsters sales pitch that didn’t even get off the ground running?

Last edited:

JonDoe

I don’t want to scare you but it’s renegotiated every contract and is never a guarantee at least it hasn’t been so far. Some sort of a wink and a nod and a gentleman‘s agreement which we all know what kind of gentleman UPS is
From what I've been told is that if I retire under this contract then I'm covered. That seems to be why we are having a ton of retirements now. Everyone is assuming that clause will disappear in the next contract.

Whither

Scofflaw
From what I heard and saw our was the same way. My local pulled every BA and E board member and told every steward to be available to pass out the palm cards. 6 building 11 centers all at once on Monday. The rest of the week they are hitting every building one by one again. From what my BA told me last night as he was changing out the notices in the union bulletin board. Maybe 10% have actually downloaded the app from all the people he asked after Monday while passing out cards again. They also created a QR code so members can scan it and update their address. Guess how many have done that?

The apathy is still rampant across all members it seems.
That apathy seems to be a feature of the environment, if you will, and those of us who pay attention and get involved are the odd ducks. Generally people can't be bothered. A lot of times when I've urged coworkers to file grieves, contact OSHA, and so on I wind up getting asked "When are you going to become the steward?" That's a way of shutting down the conversation posing as a compliment. What I hear is, "I don't want take any responsibility; you do it for me." I can see it a mile away: if I became stew, these brothers and sisters would make the same complaints against me as they do our current stew.

Thebrownblob

From what I've been told is that if I retire under this contract then I'm covered. That seems to be why we are having a ton of retirements now. Everyone is assuming that clause will disappear in the next contract.
What you’ve been told and a guaranteed agreement that you can read or not the same thing especially with UPS. I’m in the same boat as you and I do not trust him without something iron clad. Assume absolutely nothing.

qdg2

In my opinion, the teamsters care about our pension because we help fund all the rest. Take that away.... and why would they care. We'd be just another company that lost a pension for a raise or lower healthcare..
IMO, the Teamsters care about any pension because they skim "fees" from it. Admin fees....interest....that sort of thing.

So that they can steer the money into "investments" that profit the Teamsters Admin.

Skimming the cream.

Their proverbial golden goose.......

To be fair......so does UPS. Up to and including canceling it all together. I believe this will ultimately happen.

Thebrownblob

IMO, the Teamsters care about any pension because they skim "fees" from it. Admin fees....interest....that sort of thing.

So that they can steer the money into "investments" that profit the Teamsters Admin.

Skimming the cream.

To be fair......so does UPS. Up to and including canceling it all together. I believe this will ultimately happen.
Lol how would they go about “skimming the cream” ? How would UPS go about canceling the pension altogether? They couldn’t even get out of their unfunded liabilities. Please give us a breakdown of how this works.

qdg2

So, folks that are "covered"(shortfalls made up etc) may not be solvent into perpetuity?

So, example: I retire in July 2023. I'm "covered". New contract in August doesn't have this clause.....is insolvent again?

I'm talking about the old covered guys vs. new retirees.

So UPS really doesn't have any liability?

If so, why did they even do this(guarantee shortfalls)?

So, this was negotiated in 2007....or so...I think.

And those guys(2007-present) would lose everything(possibly)(relatively)(pennies on the dollar) come 2023 or whenever that wink and a nod stuff ceased?

Thebrownblob

So, folks that are "covered"(shortfalls made up etc) may not be solvent into perpetuity?

So, example: I retire in July 2023. I'm "covered". New contract in August doesn't have this clause.....is insolvent again?

I'm talking about the old covered guys vs. new retirees.

So UPS really doesn't have any liability?

If so, why did they even do this(guarantee shortfalls)?

So, this was negotiated in 2007....or so...I think.

And those guys(2007-present) would lose everything(possibly)(relatively)(pennies on the dollar) come 2023 or whenever that wink and a nod stuff ceased?
If you want a guarantee for me you’re not going to get it because I am not 100% sure if I’m not 100% sure I won’t say so it looks murky to me that does not mean UPS does not have liability UPS does a lot of things that they know are wrong and they wait for someone to sue them.

Thebrownblob

Skimming the cream.

Now that you understand UPS is not going to cancel your pension altogether you still haven’t explained to me how the Teamsters are “skimming the cream” Please do tell us