3 to 12 months to promote to Driver?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Hello to anyone who has an opinion on this,

I was hired about 5 months ago as a sunrise loader/unloader, upon my hire I asked the H.R. manager what kind of amount of time I would be looking at to go full-time driver. She said anywhere from 3 months to a year. I had heard that this was the case at my hub before I actually was hired. I guess my question is, do you really think that is true or was the manager just trying to get me in to fill the void. I've heard that people transfer to my hub all the time for this reason. Does anyone think that this could actually be true

​thanks yall

Are you sure it's not every 3 to 12 months they promote the senior employee to driver? Maybe in 10 years you'll find out.

UPSGUY72

I was hired about 5 months ago as a sunrise loader/unloader, upon my hire I asked the H.R. manager what kind of amount of time I would be looking at to go full-time driver. She said anywhere from 3 months to a year. I had heard that this was the case at my hub before I actually was hired. I guess my question is, do you really think that is true or was the manager just trying to get me in to fill the void. I've heard that people transfer to my hub all the time for this reason. Does anyone think that this could actually be true

​thanks yall

"There's a sucker born every minute", PT Barnum and David Hannum

Loyal Teamster

thanks yall

Your manager is most likely correct. According to a 2012 Standard & Poor's report, 8 % of UPS Full Time hires had been employed with the company under 24 months. I guess your hub is part of those 8%.
Good luck with your career in UPS, try developing your skills as much as possible and grow together with this awesome company.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster

Re-Raise

Your manager is most likely correct. According to a 2012 Standard & Poor's report, 8 % of UPS Full Time hires had been employed with the company under 24 months. I guess your hub is part of those 8%.
Good luck with your career in UPS, try developing your skills as much as possible and grow together with this awesome company.

Thanks,
Loyal Teamster
We hire 1 outside for every 6 inside. The outside hires haven't been with the company very long.

Re-Raise

I know one who has been here for 24 years.

I was responding to the post about how long new full-time hires had been with the company, it didn't really have anything to do with how long they would stay with the company.
You really had to reach there to make it about you, but you did.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I know I probably shouldn't feel this way, but I don't have the same respect for an off-the-street hired to perm full time that I do for someone like us who took their lumps working 2 jobs, many of us on the night shift getting 2 hours of sleep per day for years to get the chance to go driving.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I know I probably shouldn't feel this way, but I don't have the same respect for an off-the-street hired to perm full time that I do for someone like us who took their lumps working 2 jobs, many of us on the night shift getting 2 hours of sleep per day for years to get the chance to go driving.

I respect the driver for how he performs his job as a driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my 24 years I have yet to figure out how knowing how to load 'em has anything to do with knowing how to deliver 'em. Some of our best preloaders have become some of our worst drivers and vice versa.

We have a PT cover driver who is used only as a last resort (hell, they'd rather put the janitor on the street than this guy) as he seems to think that he can maintain his insider pace while on road.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know one who has been here for 24 years.

your a dying breed...this isnt the 80's anymore...Im actually glad that they took a chance on a military veteran, or any military veteran for that fact, but there will never be more that a trickle of outside hires in the future...the floodgates have locked shut!!