3 to 12 months to promote to Driver?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In my 24 years I have yet to figure out how knowing how to load 'em has anything to do with knowing how to deliver 'em. Some of our best preloaders have become some of our worst drivers and vice versa.

We have a PT cover driver who is used only as a last resort (hell, they'd rather put the janitor on the street than this guy) as he seems to think that he can maintain his insider pace while on road.

so since he isnt as "fast" as you, that means he is a terrible driver???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
In my 24 years I have yet to figure out how knowing how to load 'em has anything to do with knowing how to deliver 'em. Some of our best preloaders have become some of our worst drivers and vice versa.

We have a PT cover driver who is used only as a last resort (hell, they'd rather put the janitor on the street than this guy) as he seems to think that he can maintain his insider pace while on road.

it has nothing to do with work ethic...So lets say you are sick and in line to receive a heart, and you have been waiting for months, and one comes available. But someone from another hospital has been able to skip over you to get that transplant...just because they were a little younger than you..do you call this fair. I know its a sketchy analogy but that is how some of the pt'ers feel. I will NEVER forget how long it took me to go fulltime..and I RESPECT EVERY PT"ER FOR WHAT THEY DO AND THE TIME THEY ARE PUTTING IN

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was hired under the provisions you and your fellow Teamsters agreed on. I am not going to apologize for the fact that some of you feel that I didn't "earn" my position.

As I said above, you don't have to know how to load 'em to deliver 'em.

U

uber

I was hired under the provisions you and your fellow Teamsters agreed on. I am not going to apologize for the fact that some of you feel that I didn't "earn" my position.

You say, "you and your fellow Teamsters" like you don't pay dues.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

your a dying breed...this isnt the 80's anymore...Im actually glad that they took a chance on a military veteran, or any military veteran for that fact, but there will never be more that a trickle of outside hires in the future...the floodgates have locked shut!!

Depends on where you are. They have asked us to submit contact info for those interested in being a summer utility, as they have exhausted the names on the dovetail list.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You say, "you and your fellow Teamsters" like you don't pay dues.

Go back and read all of what I wrote and you will see how the part that you chose to quote fits in to what I was trying to say.

SmithBarney

Depends where you are, took me 5months in 03. The center where I was still has this type of turnover. *I'd be in the top 1/3 of the seniority list if I were still there.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Dave, I get where you're coming from and I agree you can be a great driver without having worked inside first. I was just saying that for those of us who put in the time inside and made the sacrifices in order to drive it's hard to hear some got here without having to put in that work. It's like getting to a finish line of a race to see someone in the audience duck under the ropes and cross the finish line like they ran the race too, but again as I prefaced my last post in this thread I know I shouldn't feel that way and I realize it's not the outside hire's fault nor did they do anything wrong.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Dave, I get where you're coming from and I agree you can be a great driver without having worked inside first. I was just saying that for those of us who put in the time inside and made the sacrifices in order to drive it's hard to hear some got here without having to put in that work. It's like getting to a finish line of a race to see someone in the audience duck under the ropes and cross the finish line like they ran the race too, but again as I prefaced my last post in this thread I know I shouldn't feel that way and I realize it's not the outside hire's fault nor did they do anything wrong.

Basically it's not worth rationalizing with anyone who has been an outside hire. They don't understand the journey that you and I had to go through to get the job...period. It's interesting how ups prides itself on promotion from within but for the longest time the ratio was 2 to 1 or 3 to 1...who knows if ups really even followed that in the 70's and 80's anyway...not like they do now...btw..you should feel that way...it's human nature to feel screwed by someone getting a free ride...embrace the suck and just be happy that an off the street hire now is rare.....and that you only have 6 more years to listen to nobody tell us that he was a off the street hire and he didn't need to know how to load a truck to deliver out of one....maybe he will leave this site and get a damn hobby.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My "free ride" consisted of 8 years of serving my country.

I really don't care what you, Techie or anyone thinks of outside hires. If the union and company wanted to promote solely from within there would not be an outside hire clause in the contract. The simple matter is that I was hired under the terms of the contract which you and your fellow Teamsters ratified. I understand what you are talking about but quite frankly don't care. Dave.

S

serenity now

My "free ride" consisted of 8 years of serving my country.

I really don't care what you, Techie or anyone thinks of outside hires. If the union and company wanted to promote solely from within there would not be an outside hire clause in the contract. The simple matter is that I was hired under the terms of the contract which you and your fellow Teamsters ratified. I understand what you are talking about but quite frankly don't care. Dave.

This statement has no relevance, in any way, to the concerns that many embrace against the policy of outside hiring.
It is simply a separate and detached fact.
Nice try, Dave