30 days are done, what to expect now?

letticesandwich

Tomorrow will be day 30 of my 30 day probation. Worked every workday of this 30 day period as well. Fairly sure I will be able to say I am a FT driver. A bit relieved in that aspect. Thanks for the help in knowing what to expect in driving BC forum.

So I wonder what to expect now? No seniority, overstaffed, not enough work, are all things I expect to hear and to be laid off frequently until peak begins. Or will they throw me out blind on routes immediately? Gotta start somewhere and all that, but curious as to how most new drivers progress.

PT Car Washer

Summer time, lots of vacations, call ins, unexpected volume, letting high seniority drivers the day or week off. You will not be able to buy a day off. Be grateful for the weekends to rest up. Going to work you like a borrowed mule until sometime in January. Then lay you off. Maybe.

Lower your expectations on everything you are hoping for. This will help you get through your career at ups. This place is one very messed up system. Sit back and figure out the game then play.

You will figure out you work with a lot of dummies pretty soon. If you have half a brain you will rise to the top and dominate this system. Most only care about their own well being and have tunnel vision. They are entitled. Don't be entitled and look at things from many angles. Just like life find your angle.

TheKingOfQueens

Summer time, lots of vacations, call ins, unexpected volume, letting high seniority drivers the day or week off. You will not be able to buy a day off. Be grateful for the weekends to rest up. Going to work you like a borrowed mule until sometime in January. Then lay you off. Maybe.

I don't understand ? I thought once you made book you can't get layed off. Isn't that what we pay union dues for ?

Just created new account . Was "theupsguy83" using TheKingOfQueens from now on.

PT Car Washer

I don't understand ? I thought once you made book you can't get layed off. Isn't that what we pay union dues for ?

Oh yes you can be laid off. Most times for a day or so. Sometimes between peak and spring vacations a few weeks or months. Work inside for a 40 hour check or go on unemployment. Or the weather sucks and you are out delivering at 10:00 PM and 10 below Zero every night. No you can't have a day off.

TheKingOfQueens

Oh yes you can be laid off. Most times for a day or so. Sometimes between peak and spring vacations a few weeks or months. Work inside for a 40 hour check or go on unemployment. Or the weather sucks and you are out delivering at 10:00 PM and 10 below Zero every night. No you can't have a day off.

Totally confused . I thought once you're done with your 40/70 you're good to go . Full time driving period. No working in the warehouse anymore just driving .

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Totally confused . I thought once you're done with your 40/70 you're good to go . Full time driving period. No working in the warehouse anymore just driving .

You actually think that once you make seniority that UPS, out of the goodness of its collective heart, will pull a route out of its butt just so you never again get laid off?

I fear for the future of the company.

PT Car Washer

Yeah. You are confused. There will be PTers driving while you are loading package cars. And it is all legal.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Get to know some older drivers and ask for tips on area knowledge. Dont complain about your workload because everyone there gets drop kicked from time to time. Peak is hell. Work safe and dont let a screwed up time allowance cause you to speed and have an accident and destroy your body in the process

Sent using BrownCafe App

TheKingOfQueens

You asked the way it was going to be. A lot of the young guys do not mind working 3 or 4 days a week. Gives you family time.

I just wanna drive . I don't wanna load another truck for the rest of my life !!!!

PT Car Washer

I just wanna drive . I don't wanna load another truck for the rest of my life !!!!

It is not that bad loading. Listen to the FT drivers that want to go back to loading working an Art. 22.3 job. Chances are depending on your location you will never load again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I always loved getting laid off. Completely stress free. No stupid customers or drivers or dogs or anything.

letticesandwich

Thanks for some insight. I get a feeling I'll be worked. Fresh meat less then 1 year cheap labor type of deal.

About inside jobs then? It could not be preload due to DOT regulations. Need so many hours off of work to drive. I don't care if it was preload then some other 4 hour shift either. But it would be twilight and night sort for the 8 hours?