30 in a 90

Okay so apparently no one can give me a straight answer at my center. My first day of driving was August 26, 2014. I'm in my last week of the 90 and I'm at 29 days. However my sup told me that beginning Nov 1 the progress basically paused until free period was over. My Union guy on the other hand said no since you started before free period, all driving within free period shall count but your seniorty day won't be until the second week of January. Does anyone have any clear cut answers for me?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Okay so apparently no one can give me a straight answer at my center. My first day of driving was August 26, 2014. I'm in my last week of the 90 and I'm at 29 days. However my sup told me that beginning Nov 1 the progress basically paused until free period was over. My Union guy on the other hand said no since you started before free period, all driving within free period shall count but your seniorty day won't be until the second week of January. Does anyone have any clear cut answers for me?
Depends. If you were hired as a seasonal driver, then the time worked after November 1st does not count.

On the other hand, if you were hired in August to fill a vacancy or because they needed more permanent drivers, then there is no free period for you. All time counts.

The free period is only for "seasonal" drivers.

I've been preloading for 6 years we've had several old timers retire and they are moving guys up for permanent spots. I'm not seasonal but who's to say they didn't put some sort of clause on me to say well you're seasonal now

I did not sign any bid sheet. I'm not bidding on a route or anything just to finally be a permanent full time employee. I'm aware that volume will drop off after peak but I just want to get my 4 year progression clock ticking hence why my urgency with the matter. Also on top of all this I was also told that anything before Labor Day may not count because that could also be a seasonal period. Either way I think they will have a hard time stopping me from getting 30 in at this point because our volume is hitting us hard now.

PT Car Washer

I did not sign any bid sheet. I'm not bidding on a route or anything just to finally be a permanent full time employee. I'm aware that volume will drop off after peak but I just want to get my 4 year progression clock ticking hence why my urgency with the matter. Also on top of all this I was also told that anything before Labor Day may not count because that could also be a seasonal period. Either way I think they will have a hard time stopping me from getting 30 in at this point because our volume is hitting us hard now.
I agree you most likely are in unless someone in higher has a real hard on against you.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You had to have signed an intent sheet for part timers wishing to go full time into a package position. Did this intent sheet say seasonal? If not, then it is a permanent position and there is no free period for you.

542thruNthru

Management pulls this kinda thing sometimes. A good way to make sure they don't pull it on you is.... DON'T BE A SHEEP AND READ YOUR CONTRACT!

Sorry about that but I'm sure you have never really cracked your contract book open and read it (probably don't have one do you?)

There should be no free period for you. I can not say that for sure because I'm in a whole other local but when I first started cover driving it was Nov 7. There was no free period for me.

Good luck and do yourself a favor get a contract book and get informed. It will help you TONS in the years to come.

I did the same thing .. They come to me and asked me to drive I got my 30 in 90 in and I was golden.. never signed a full time bid sheet... but I got my time in by Oct