30 Over, and an OLCC?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Recently, our station has been getting slammed with volume. There have also been a lot of vacations and sick calls, so we are understaffed, which is pretty much the norm. Yesterday, one of our drivers went out 30 stops over his 195 and somehow managed to get all of them off. He had to give his outbound to another driver and finally got back to the station around 1900, well over an hour after the CTV had departed. No Code 1's. Hooray.

Today, they tried to OLCC him for not taking a lunch, despite numerous PowerPad messages to both dispatch and the station asking for help. He also called his manager on his cell phone and attempted to explain what was happening...twice. Both times he left a message, stating that he would continue delivering so he wouldn't have any non-attempts. No answer. No call-back.

Management clearly knew he went out well over standard, and utterly failed to fulfill their end of the bargain, which was to provide help so this courier could get his break. They blow it, and then attempt to pin an OLCC on this guy to cover their sorry asses.

This is so typical, and just one more reason we need a union. Do you really think they would even try an OLCC if we had a legitimate grievance procedure? This is the type of "reward" you can count on for going above and beyond at FedEx. What an effing joke.

Broke

Recently, our station has been getting slammed with volume. There have also been a lot of vacations and sick calls, so we are understaffed, which is pretty much the norm. Yesterday, one of our drivers went out 30 stops over his 195 and somehow managed to get all of them off. He had to give his outbound to another driver and finally got back to the station around 1900, well over an hour after the CTV had departed. No Code 1's. Hooray.

Today, they tried to OLCC him for not taking a lunch, despite numerous PowerPad messages to both dispatch and the station asking for help. He also called his manager on his cell phone and attempted to explain what was happening...twice. Both times he left a message, stating that he would continue delivering so he wouldn't have any non-attempts. No answer. No call-back.

Management clearly knew he went out well over standard, and utterly failed to fulfill their end of the bargain, which was to provide help so this courier could get his break. They blow it, and then attempt to pin an OLCC on this guy to cover their sorry asses.

This is so typical, and just one more reason we need a union. Do you really think they would even try an OLCC if we had a legitimate grievance procedure? This is the type of "reward" you can count on for going above and beyond at FedEx. What an effing joke.
The same thing happens at our station. Management is never prepared for anything and they never answer their phone no matter how many times you try to call them.

UPSBluRdg03

The thing to have done would have been to taken his break then bring stops back. Going out and doing all the work and not taking a lunch is his own ignorance. I would send a message and say I am taking my break Im going to be at this loation for x amount of time. I need help, send someone to me or I will be bringing stops back.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The thing to have done would have been to taken his break then bring stops back. Going out and doing all the work and not taking a lunch is his own ignorance. I would send a message and say I am taking my break Im going to be at this loation for x amount of time. I need help, send someone to me or I will be bringing stops back.

That would make sense at a rational company, but at FedEx he'd have been OLCC'ed (written-up) for Code 01's (non-attempts). It's a Catch-22..you cannot win.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The same thing happens at our station. Management is never prepared for anything and they never answer their phone no matter how many times you try to call them.

Here too. They never answer the phone after the sort, probably because most of the time they are on the road. Most of the time they get burned because they try and shave hours by starting the sort according to volume projections and flight ETA's from Memphis. Trouble is, most of the time, their information is wrong.

Broke

Here too. They never answer the phone after the sort, probably because most of the time they are on the road. Most of the time they get burned because they try and shave hours by starting the sort according to volume projections and flight ETA's from Memphis. Trouble is, most of the time, their information is wrong.
I can't wait til peak this year,it should be real interesting. In years past, management doesn't even to begin to acknowledge anything is different until a couple of days before christmas. Usually on christmas eve I have about 2 or 3 days worth of freight to deliver because of all of the dex 01's I've had. needless to say, there are a lot of disappointed customers on christmas.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I can't wait til peak this year,it should be real interesting. In years past, management doesn't even to begin to acknowledge anything is different until a couple of days before christmas. Usually on christmas eve I have about 2 or 3 days worth of freight to deliver because of all of the dex 01's I've had. needless to say, there are a lot of disappointed customers on christmas.

I don't think they're going to get much of an effort this peak. Most employees are figuring-out that burning yourself to a crisp during peak isn't worth it. I don't like to disappoint customers, but I have zero problems bringing back Code 01's. I do what I can do, and that's it. There are going to be a lot of exceptions this Xmas, and if the weather is bad for the week or two before, it won't be pretty. Maybe the top execs will come down to the Hub and toss boxes for 5 mins and get a photo op for Frontline.. Nah...too far from Aspen or Vail.

Remember, they only "need you" unti peak is over, and then it's a full scale effort to slash your hours to the bone. That's gratitude.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No, it isn't over yet. They are still trying to OLCC him. At UPS, you could file a grievance. At FedEx, you have the joke GFT and Open Door policies, which almost inevitably support management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What would have been different if that happened to a UPS driver?

What would have happened is the driver would have done everything the same as your driver did (deliver all his pkgs and meet another driver to give his pickups to so they could make service) and then he would have taken his full lunch/break and punched out well after 2000. They don't want us to go over 9.5 and we cannot go over 12.

In my opinion your driver did the right thing and if receives discipline as a result well that is just plain wrong. He took care of the customers and gave his outbound to another driver--the only thing he didn't do is take his lunch.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What would have happened is the driver would have done everything the same as your driver did (deliver all his pkgs and meet another driver to give his pickups to so they could make service) and then he would have taken his full lunch/break and punched out well after 2000. They don't want us to go over 9.5 and we cannot go over 12.

In my opinion your driver did the right thing and if receives discipline as a result well that is just plain wrong. He took care of the customers and gave his outbound to another driver--the only thing he didn't do is take his lunch.

I agree, he did the right thing for the customer and also covered himself with management by informing them of his intentions. He also protected his outbound freight. IMO, he should receive a positive OLCC in his file for fulfilling his duties. It's not his fault that management is incompetent. We cannot go over 12, and they'd prefer you not get any OT at all. Not taking a lunch is just part and parcel (pun intended) of this type of work. Not recognizing that fact is pure idiocy.

LTFedExer

I agree with this also. He covered his butt with phone calls and messages. I might have gone a step further and called the Senior Manager.

When I worked down south, my manager came on a check ride with me. I worked an ODA/out of town/extended route (whichever you call it). It just happened it was a REALLY busy day. She asked if we were stopping for lunch. I said I wouldn't make service if we did. She said keep going (didn't bother me, I used to bring snacks+drinks in a cooler). End result......12 1/2 hrs, no break, 67 stops, 425 miles using EVERY shortcut I knew. She got a letter for it, not me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How can we come to the conclusion skipping all breaks and lunches is the right thing ? That's asinine. Skipping all lunches and breaks is the worst thing an employee can do for themselves and their coworkers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How can we come to the conclusion skipping all breaks and lunches is the right thing ? That's asinine. Skipping all lunches and breaks is the worst thing an employee can do for themselves and their coworkers.

In this particular case it was the right thing to do for the customer as all packages were delivered and the outbound made the plane/trailer.

LTFedExer

In this particular case it was the right thing to do for the customer as all packages were delivered and the outbound made the plane/trailer.
It's a catch 22 Steve. Nobody said skipping ALL breaks was the 'right' thing to do. But, he chose not to. Besides, I'm sure he ate during the day. It just wasn't an official break.

UPSBluRdg03

I agree with this also. He covered his butt with phone calls and messages. I might have gone a step further and called the Senior Manager.

When I worked down south, my manager came on a check ride with me. I worked an ODA/out of town/extended route (whichever you call it). It just happened it was a REALLY busy day. She asked if we were stopping for lunch. I said I wouldn't make service if we did. She said keep going (didn't bother me, I used to bring snacks+drinks in a cooler). End result......12 1/2 hrs, no break, 67 stops, 425 miles using EVERY shortcut I knew. She got a letter for it, not me.

Damnet man. Cant imagine riding around for 425 miles worth in a day. Some of our most extended routes will do 250 maximum. On an average day my route will cover 150 miles and a good chunk of that is getting to and from the delivery area.

Im all about providing the upmost service and taking care of our customers but you cant let mgmt. walk over top of you by giving them your lunch or breaks. If you do it once, chances are you will do it again and they will expect you too. You cover your ass by sending a message in that you need help or will have missed pieces and if you dont receive any help then you hit em where it hurts and bring the stops back. Not taking a break is putting yourself in danger of health risks especially in the summer time.

LTFedExer

Damnet man. Cant imagine riding around for 425 miles worth in a day. Some of our most extended routes will do 250 maximum. On an average day my route will cover 150 miles and a good chunk of that is getting to and from the delivery area.

Im all about providing the upmost service and taking care of our customers but you cant let mgmt. walk over top of you by giving them your lunch or breaks. If you do it once, chances are you will do it again and they will expect you too. You cover your ass by sending a message in that you need help or will have missed pieces and if you dont receive any help then you hit em where it hurts and bring the stops back. Not taking a break is putting yourself in danger of health risks especially in the summer time.
That was the most I ever drove in a day. Perfect that my manager was with me. An average day was closer to 350-375, with 32 miles from the station to my first stop and another 32 from my last pickup back.

Would I have done that if my manager wasn't with me? I honestly couldn't say I would or wouldn't have.