400+PPH... "Best I've seen" wall quality... Pending Susp. for Misloads. Really?

teemstur

So, let me start by saying : I know Misloads are bad and should be easy to avoid.

Now, let me go on.

My misload rate has gone under 1/3000 and I now have a pending suspension for it.

I have a PPH in the high 300's or low 400's daily. Every time there is a wall quality audit, they say that mine are damn near perfect. I show up on time every day (7 months and clocked in ONE minute late, once.)

My belt, around break time, has 3500 scans, with about 8 people. Every other belt in the building has ~3000 scans with 11 people. We are understaffed and never get help from other belts. As a result we are being pushed to the extreme - 400 PPH and backed up all the way to the pickoff? Great, load faster. No, I can't send any help, they are busy.

Constantly getting told to go faster. I get a few missorts and toss em' out of the trailer to the catwalks. Yell out "MISSORTS IN ______" and they are still there an hour later. Someone comes to help and starts tossing boxes back on the extendo, next thing I know a few of them get loaded and of course that comes back on me.

Am I free of all blame? Hell no. Is there more that could be done? Yes, I think so.

I was handed papers for a grievance and told I have a "pending suspension" because of my misload rate which is partly/largly due to the fact that the entire belt is understaffed. Today we had everyone again on our belt at a solid 300 PPH but at the end of the day we had 7 carts of irregs waiting because the guy running the floors had to push flow for the trailer that we have that was backed up all the way to pickoff and belt shutting off every 10 seconds. Still no help from other belts.

I feel that it is a tad unfair that I am expected to have a perfect wall quality, 400+PPH, and 0 misloads at all times. There has to be a compromise somewhere. What am I missing?

Z

ZQXC

Understand this: ups does not care how well you perform, or how long you have maintained that performance; they are only looking for the exception (in this case, a misload)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Unfair?? Wah.

2014-09-19-02-49-01-493029441.jpeg
If you were given a verbal warning and a warning letter...they can suspend you for misloads.

rkctkc

If they want to start handing out suspensions for misloads, then make sure you don't get any at all. If you have to slow your pace down to a quarter of your normal pace to do so then so be it. I've never heard of anyone being suspended or fired for working too slow outside of their probationary period.

Nostromo

Boy after reading this I'm counting my blessings for not getting suspended for having 7+ misloads during my probationary period.

Sent using Morse code

Notretiredyet

File a grievance if you still can regarding misleads esp if others are loading your trucks. Work at a safe and reasonable pace and do your best to reduce the misleads. Understaffing is a common practice at UPS and will never get addressed until it begins to hurt someone's numbers with the power to change it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I start would be cleaning up every falling package from the belt or rollers, since egress is a major safety concern. You cannot be fired for working safely and maintaining egress. let's play the petty tit-for-tat game!

annie345

So, let me start by saying : I know Misloads are bad and should be easy to avoid.

Now, let me go on.

My misload rate has gone under 1/3000 and I now have a pending suspension for it.

I have a PPH in the high 300's or low 400's daily. Every time there is a wall quality audit, they say that mine are damn near perfect. I show up on time every day (7 months and clocked in ONE minute late, once.)

My belt, around break time, has 3500 scans, with about 8 people. Every other belt in the building has ~3000 scans with 11 people. We are understaffed and never get help from other belts. As a result we are being pushed to the extreme - 400 PPH and backed up all the way to the pickoff? Great, load faster. No, I can't send any help, they are busy.

Constantly getting told to go faster. I get a few missorts and toss em' out of the trailer to the catwalks. Yell out "MISSORTS IN ______" and they are still there an hour later. Someone comes to help and starts tossing boxes back on the extendo, next thing I know a few of them get loaded and of course that comes back on me.

Am I free of all blame? Hell no. Is there more that could be done? Yes, I think so.

I was handed papers for a grievance and told I have a "pending suspension" because of my misload rate which is partly/largly due to the fact that the entire belt is understaffed. Today we had everyone again on our belt at a solid 300 PPH but at the end of the day we had 7 carts of irregs waiting because the guy running the floors had to push flow for the trailer that we have that was backed up all the way to pickoff and belt shutting off every 10 seconds. Still no help from other belts.

I feel that it is a tad unfair that I am expected to have a perfect wall quality, 400+PPH, and 0 misloads at all times. There has to be a compromise somewhere. What am I missing?
The union dues not recognize production standards.. Had anyone been written up for lack of production? Or for misloads, being late, not using your methods, etc... As long as it's getting done everyday, why would they hire help? Do your job properly ( not as fast as you can) and show up for work and on time.. Let management figure out production and staffing.

annie345

In my center mgmt tried cracking down on misloads.. We the union members got on the same page and made our primary concerns no misloads, and no attendance issues.. After 2 weeks of drivers wrapping up their cars and starting their routes 45 minutes after their start times, those warning letters stopped. They got the message.

UPS4Life

Doesn't your building have the scanners that beep differently when the package doesn't belong in that trailer? Like everyone else said aim for 0 misloads. My building use to give pizza away on Fridays for anyone who held a 1/5000 mis sort level all week. It was something small the company didn't have to do and I appreciated it. But now they have scanners that beep if it's wrong so no more pizza. Take this as a primary concern. They're more worried about misloads than pph. Pph doesn't mean squat especially if your misloading. Just out of curiosity how do you know they're the same misloads you found earlier?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nostromo

It's all about not being the "needs most help" person.
Makes sense since everyone in my area gets 2 people to a feeder. Only "bad" part is I get the feeling my co workers think I'm an over achiever. To the op what I've started doing is looking at the zip code or slic number if it's not the same I don't even bother scanning it.

Sent using Morse code