401k balance

Serf

With the Economy the way it is now. Similar to 2008/9. If you don’t mind sharing; what are some of the #’s career PT or FT Fedex employees were able to save over the years in the 401k? And any strategies to ride out this crap besides moving all the money to bonds?!

thedownhillEXPRESS

Ride this out by not moving your money around. Moving money into bonds AFTER the market is down isn’t a good idea. Neither is market timing. In March 2020 the world looked like it was ending with the markets collapsing. By the end of the year we were at new highs. You can’t predict the future or the FED.

Buhryein

Unless retirement and/or withdrawal is in sight in the near future you generally don't want to mess with it much if at all. Moving what you have into bonds now just solidifies your losses with no chance of recuperating.

With the Economy the way it is now. Similar to 2008/9. If you don’t mind sharing; what are some of the #’s career PT or FT Fedex employees were able to save over the years in the 401k? And any strategies to ride out this crap besides moving all the money to bonds?!
2008 and 2009 it was very hard to watch my 401k and ira balances crashing.
The only advice I can give you is do not panic and if you have the ability to increase your savings now might be a good time to do it

Serf

I understand folks in here that have a spouse that makes good money so they are able to max out the annual 401k contribution limit. Otherwise it doesn’t look all that great with a standard 6% on your end, & 3 % from Express. I’m guessing 225-300k is about average balance for employees after 20 yrs?

Up In Smoke

Learn to insure your long positions with options. For a fraction of your nest egg you can insure a positive return. Choppy markets make for great buying opportunities.

Fdx stock down 45 this morn,holy cow!
Fat Freddy just took a big pay cut
Screenshot_20220916-094139-969.png

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The smartest investors on the planet would say STAY the course. Keep investing weekly. You buy more stock at dips with DCA , dollar cost averaging, and will come out way ahead when the market comes back.

It does depend on when you are retiring. If a ways to go keep doing what you are doing.
I'm retired and will not start RMD until I'm 72.5. over 6 years from now. We still invest a little aggressively for our age. perhaps 70/30 stocks to cash.

This is not coming from me. Buffett, Bogel ( started Vanguard funds where most of our retirement money is ) and many other smart business people advise.

Our retirement accts were in the high 6 figures 7 years ago when I retired.
They have doubled since then. Thru ups and downs of the market.

Not too worried now . Only if something unusual and never before seen occurs. In that case we still have our paid off home which is worth 7 figures and a good chunk of cash in several banks.

Whatever you make try to invest the max in the 401k and put aside cash every payday.

Serf

The smartest investors on the planet would say STAY the course. Keep investing weekly. You buy more stock at dips with DCA , dollar cost averaging, and will come out way ahead when the market comes back.

It does depend on when you are retiring. If a ways to go keep doing what you are doing.
I'm retired and will not start RMD until I'm 72.5. over 6 years from now. We still invest a little aggressively for our age. perhaps 70/30 stocks to cash.

This is not coming from me. Buffett, Bogel ( started Vanguard funds where most of our retirement money is ) and many other smart business people advise.

Our retirement accts were in the high 6 figures 7 years ago when I retired.
They have doubled since then. Thru ups and downs of the market.

Not too worried now . Only if something unusual and never before seen occurs. In that case we still have our paid off home which is worth 7 figures and a good chunk of cash in several banks.

Whatever you make try to invest the max in the 401k and put aside cash every payday.
Thanks for thorough feedback.

NC man

retired last Dec,moved 401 and portable to rollover IRA at vanguard, with news about economy.rcession looming etc I put lot in cash and several funds,Sphd schd. Splv ,low volatility funds and one is Schwab fund with dividend stocks also veipx ,equity inc at VG which is only down about 5% for the year, vweax a Corp bond fund at VG that yields around 4-5%. Put some in a REIT and somevindividual stocks like apple, chevron,ConocoPhillips and Oxy ,all oil companies that are doing well but cyclical so keep close eye on those.also have some Amazon which already had for several years.About 50 % stocks the rest bonds cash.
Read any books by William bengen and wade Pfau concerning financial planning.

retired last Dec,moved 401 and portable to rollover IRA at vanguard, with news about economy.rcession looming etc I put lot in cash and several funds,Sphd schd. Splv ,low volatility funds and one is Schwab fund with dividend stocks also veipx ,equity inc at VG which is only down about 5% for the year, vweax a Corp bond fund at VG that yields around 4-5%. Put some in a REIT and somevindividual stocks like apple, chevron,ConocoPhillips and Oxy ,all oil companies that are doing well but cyclical so keep close eye on those.also have some Amazon which already had for several years.About 50 % stocks the rest bonds cash.
Read any books by William bengen and wade Pfau concerning financial planning.
Very nice plan.

Have some in stock but sometimes cash is really king

Serf

The PPA Express gives is icing on the cake. Better than nothing. But all of a sudden I’m realizing I’m just about half way done at Express. If I ever want to make parole, I must beef up the 401k.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
How many people can pick stock winners consistently or time the market correctly?

no one that I know of. Buffet and just a handful out of 8 billion people on the planet.

That is why we use Index Funds at Vanguard. very low cost and good returns safely . past performance does not guarantee future results......blah blah blah.