401K Questions

After a couple of years of investing in my Bright Horizons 401k retirement fund I started looking a little closer into the fees. Can someone verify the fees to me.
At first glance it looks like there is a 5.5 basis points out of 100 which equals 5.5% off the top. (front end load) Does this sound right? So before they make you a single dollar you pay them 5.5%. Or am I doing the math wrong on basis points?
Then there is a fund management fee of 2.8 basis points.
I have to be doing this wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.36.15 PM.png

Rack em

Made the Podium
What @Brownslave688 said, the BH funds are more stable funds and it's low risk/low reward. You want to be investing in stuff that will make you money right now. Then once you are retired or close to retirement, you can move your money into a more stable fund.

Thanks @DriverNerd. I knew I was doing something wrong. I stopped contributing to my 401k 4 years ago and took what was in and moved it over to the SMA with BNY Mellon. This information was for some of the guys at work. A couple of the pre-loaders and drivers were asking about the 401k.
I told them the same thing. Get out. Theres no match on your contributions, its low risk/reward, the bond markets going to take a :censored2:, theres not really any freedom on where and when you can put your money, fees, all 401k are eventually going to become Roth's.
I have another question for you folks. What sectors do you guys/gals/people invest in? I'm a little worried about the impending doom of the perfect storm of a market collapse. Whats your hedge against inflation/ depression, (last September yield curve inverted), dollar collapse. I know the general thought is gold/silver, precious metals. The time to invest in those were June 2018- to July 2019, anything after that theres a high chance of being upside down. (COT reports)
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 7.14.02 AM.png
The metals the past 6 months have been pretty volatile. I'm a bit skiddish about jumping on board a train thats close to the end of its cycle. Gold bull markets usually only last 2-7 years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thanks @DriverNerd. I knew I was doing something wrong. I stopped contributing to my 401k 4 years ago and took what was in and moved it over to the SMA with BNY Mellon. This information was for some of the guys at work. A couple of the pre-loaders and drivers were asking about the 401k.
I told them the same thing. Get out. Theres no match on your contributions, its low risk/reward, the bond markets going to take a *, theres not really any freedom on where and when you can put your money, fees, all 401k are eventually going to become Roth's.
I have another question for you folks. What sectors do you guys/gals/people invest in? I'm a little worried about the impending doom of the perfect storm of a market collapse. Whats your hedge against inflation/ depression, (last September yield curve inverted), dollar collapse. I know the general thought is gold/silver, precious metals. The time to invest in those were June 2018- to July 2019, anything after that theres a high chance of being upside down. (COT reports)View attachment 319754 The metals the past 6 months have been pretty volatile. I'm a bit skiddish about jumping on board a train thats close to the end of its cycle. Gold bull markets usually only last 2-7 years.
It’s pretty scary the crash many are calling for. But with the terrible financial policy we’ve had for decades it’s all a deck of cards waiting to come crashing down. I’m not sure it’ll matter for most what they’re in if we see the 80-90% drop that’s being predicted.

DriverNerd

401k's are for long term investing. If you're not savvy with investing then it's a terrific option, especially with a roth. Sure, you can do better investing in individual stocks/metals/bitcoin etc, but most wouldn't want to do all that work research. If you're not putting money away for retirement your entire life you'll be in for a rough time when you retire. I don't see anything wrong with a bright horizon, especially if you choose a far out date so it's much more aggressive. If you're closer to retirement and need more then it's not a good choice.

I do 500/400/international mix.

It’s pretty scary the crash many are calling for. But with the terrible financial policy we’ve had for decades it’s all a deck of cards waiting to come crashing down. I’m not sure it’ll matter for most what they’re in if we see the 80-90% drop that’s being predicted.
You can only rig the markets so long before natural law takes back over. Control is an illusion. Man's obsessive idea to make our own laws is always over ridden by natural law of the "rule of inverses." Hang on to your seats, its going to be a bumpy ride.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
401k's are for long term investing. If you're not savvy with investing then it's a terrific option, especially with a roth. Sure, you can do better investing in individual stocks/metals/bitcoin etc, but most wouldn't want to do all that work research. If you're not putting money away for retirement your entire life you'll be in for a rough time when you retire. I don't see anything wrong with a bright horizon, especially if you choose a far out date so it's much more aggressive. If you're closer to retirement and need more then it's not a good choice.

I do 500/400/international mix.
A lot of people talk big about how they can do better investing on their own, but there's a pretty small (tiny really) group of people who have actually beat the S&P 500 index over the long term. None of them are driving trucks for a living.

A lot of people talk big about how they can do better investing on their own, but there's a pretty small (tiny really) group of people who have actually beat the S&P 500 index over the long term. None of them are driving trucks for a living.
Not true. I drive truck and I’m up over 73% since 2018. Generally speaking yes, but we’re in unprecedented times.
We’re in the greatest financial shift in human history.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
After a couple of years of investing in my Bright Horizons 401k retirement fund I started looking a little closer into the fees. Can someone verify the fees to me.
At first glance it looks like there is a 5.5 basis points out of 100 which equals 5.5% off the top. (front end load) Does this sound right? So before they make you a single dollar you pay them 5.5%. Or am I doing the math wrong on basis points?

View attachment 319648
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

Jkloc420

View attachment 319648
If your going to panic everytime the market goes up or down you dont need to be in it

Jkloc420

What about that post lead you to that response?
It is his several post and your stock market crashing 80 percent to 90 percent, if your a young investor your should what the market to go up and down. If your about to retire then you should worry

Brownslave688

It is his several post and your stock market crashing 80 percent to 90 percent, if your a young investor your should what the market to go up and down. If your about to retire then you should worry
But not a single response was “freaking out”

Brownslave688

I said panic not freaking out, the stock market may go down but you really think it will be 80 to 90 percent, if it does that were great depression 2.0
Yes it would be. I don’t know. It’s people much brighter than me predicting it but it’s not that hard to fathom when you dig into how it’s all being propped up.

Low interest rates and fake QE money is basically what is keeping it all from crumbling. It’s simply unsustainable.

Jkloc420

Yes it would be. I don’t know. It’s people much brighter than me predicting it but it’s not that hard to fathom when you dig into how it’s all being propped up.

Low interest rates and fake QE money is basically what is keeping it all from crumbling. It’s simply unsustainable.
Those people have been predicting that for years though and maybe they get it right once