47yrs old,Too old for Package Car?

I'm a 47yr old in good shape,is package car too much work for someone my age?
I'm used to working 12hr days,and enjoy walking and being outdoors.All opinions
count...

old levi's

blank space
I was 44 when I finally got a chance to drive. I'm so close to 60 now that I can see it on the horizon.
Still driving package every day.

Re-Raise

I'm a 47yr old in good shape,is package car too much work for someone my age?
I'm used to working 12hr days,and enjoy walking and being outdoors.All opinions
count...

If you have been working part-time for UPS, then you probably know a little about the pace you are expected to work at and should be fine. If you are thinking of starting now as an outside hire you may be in for a surprise.

It isn't exactly "walking and being outdoors".

It would depend on your end game plan. If you are just looking for a good paying job to do for a few years, goferit. If you are looking for a career that you can retire from,fergetaboutit.
You are at the age that many (not all) drivers start feeling the daily pain of the wear and tear the job puts on the body and it just continues to exacerbate. True enough some people can do the job for 30 years without major problems, but they are in the minority. Don't know what kind of work you are used to doing for 12 hours a day but at UPS you are expected to go full tilt for 12 hours. I started at 35 and made to 58 before injuring my back to the point I can't do the job and the worker comp docs say there is nothing to do to fix it. I can't walk 50 yards without my right leg going numb and loosing the strength to stand up. I realize this doesn't happen to everyone but it is always a possibility.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
It would depend on your end game plan. If you are just looking for a good paying job to do for a few years, goferit. If you are looking for a career that you can retire from,fergetaboutit. You are at the age that many (not all) drivers start feeling the daily pain of the wear and tear the job puts on the body and it just continues to exacerbate. True enough some people can do the job for 30 years without major problems, but they are in the minority. Don't know what kind of work you are used to doing for 12 hours a day but at UPS you are expected to go full tilt for 12 hours. I started at 35 and made to 58 before injuring my back to the point I can't do the job and the worker comp docs say there is nothing to do to fix it. I can't walk 50 yards without my right leg going numb and loosing the strength to stand up. I realize this doesn't happen to everyone but it is always a possibility.Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Hey T,What did UPS do for you? Did they find you another job?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I hear there talk of UPS having weight limits of 30 pounds at one point? 10? Not many years ago too.

30 years of TVs, FRIDGES, BEDS, POTTERY BULK, A/Cs, DEHUMIDIFIERS, is a little different than the previously known 30 yeras of packages.

Aside that, harrassment and oversupervision via technology is at an all-time high, 20-30 years ago did not feature this.

37 is the new 47 at UPS.

Hey T,What did UPS do for you? Did they find you another job?
They didn't do squat, I couldn't even get the insurance company to ok treatment after about six weeks. The UPS to Liberty Mutual liaison stopped returning my calls. I got tired of messing with it and took a 23 year retirement. I had already figured out I couldn't make it to 30 anyway.

evilleace

I hear there talk of UPS having weight limits of 30 pounds at one point? 10? Not many years ago too.

30 years of TVs, FRIDGES, BEDS, POTTERY BULK, A/Cs, DEHUMIDIFIERS, is a little different than the previously known 30 yeras of packages.

Aside that, harrassment and oversupervision via technology is at an all-time high, 20-30 years ago did not feature this.

37 is the new 47 at UPS.

I heard the weight limit was 50 pounds. But that is still drastically diifferent than the 150 that is the weight limit know, as far as your age I would not want to start driving at that age especially with the way production is pushed these days.

37 is the new 47 at UPS.
When I first started with UPS, May of 1983 they had just upped the limit from 30 to 50. The drivers were still talking about it everyday.

brett636

I don't think the issue is whether the job can be done @ 47 because I'm certain someone at that age in good health can do it. The issue I believe some are alluding to is whether the job can still be done @ 57 or 67 years old as that is how long you would need to work in order to qualify for any kind of decent pension. Also it depends on whether you can get in at all because in some areas the wait to go fulltime can be 10 years or more depending on the size of the building, local economy strength, number of soon to be retiring drivers, etc. This is assuming you don't work for UPS at all at this point. If you do have some sort of fast track to get in and don't mind working hard and getting harassed to perform to unrealistic standards then go for it. I wish you luck!

rod

Retired 22 years
When I first started with UPS, May of 1983 they had just upped the limit from 30 to 50. The drivers were still talking about it everyday.

I could be wrong but I believe Texas would have to be the only place to have a 30 lb limit. (being that it was a different country and all :-). When I started in Minnesota in 1971 there was a 50 lb limit and you couldn't send more than 100 lbs combined weight to the same consignee on the same day. We (all 7 of us) also had a driver sort, dispatched ourselves, and ran quite well even though we only had a center manager present 2 days a week. I hear thing are different now.

Last edited: