47yrs old,Too old for Package Car?

Re-Raise

no need to apoligze-------this is just an internet fourm------every topic will eventually lead to an argument.

I wasn't trying to argue with the guy. I stand by the questions I asked.

If you have worked part -time you have a better understanding of the pace we work at and the loads we go out with. He doesn't work for us part -time.

He has to be hired as the 1 in the 6 to 1 ratio as the outside hire. I asked how he was so sure he would be the one hired at 47 and he chose to call me a jealous fool. Why that makes me jealous or a fool, I don't know.

Maybe it is just my experience, but the outside hire is usually a part-time sup or someone who has an in with management.

Doesn't he realize unemployment is around 10 % and it is no secret the driver job pays pretty well and has good benefits? If there is an opening there will be a lot people for UPS to choose from.

If he gets hired I will apologize profusely on here for ever doubting him. Or he may just disappear like BBAG.

ups1990

This job is definitely a young man's job. With this said, at 47 your body can probably take another 10 to 15 years of punishment, so go for it! If it makes you feel any better, with UPS' current waiting period to have an opportunity to become a driver, most folks on this list will be around your age due to this lengthy period.
Many here, will agree that we're dealing with a new meaner and leaner UPS that also has transformed it workforce into a "leaner and meaner" force but for different reasons. I predict that more drivers will decide to retire at first chance regardless of the country's financial situation of that day, so more opportunities will open up for you and others.

Scuderia

There's a guy at my center, who drives feeders. This guy is OOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDDD. We call him the ghost. He can barely walk. I don't know if it would be possible to transfer from package car driving to feeder driving, which should be a lot easier. If so, you can drive the package car for a few years, and then switch to feeder driving.

Re-Raise

I'm a 47yr old in good shape,is package car too much work for someone my age?
I'm used to working 12hr days,and enjoy walking and being outdoors.All opinions
count...

Less than 2 months later and according to another thread about being re-hired you are now a full-time package car driver. You do know about the free hire period and driver school right?

klein

Für Meno :)
I started at age 48 with UPS as a Driver. No problems. I was faster on my route then the younger person that did it before, and got punished for being quicker - with more and more stops. :(

klein

Für Meno :)
I started at age 48 with UPS as a Driver. No problems. I was faster on my route then the younger person that did it before, and got punished for being quicker - with more and more stops. :(

And, it's not that the previous driver had no experience.. he had that route for 6 years or more. I was new at it !

Re-Raise

Things like that can drive a man to drink.

Zax

If you have other options dont do it. I will be 47 next month, I started in 1986, PT started cover driving in 94, I didnt get a full time bid until 2000. I am in the military, been to the Middle East 3 times, I am in good shape, active, but I'm starting to feel it. This telamatics thing is out of control, they are putting too many hurdles into your day that it hurts your production, which is NEVER good enough. Backing, Idle time, pickup compliance time, It's crazy. every trip has 25- 35 stops more than it did when I started, and we have less time to do it in. Not sure if I can last till 2025, when I finally get my 25 years in full time. Thinking about feeders, but will be night s for the next ten years at least.

C

chuchu

I'm a 47yr old in good shape,is package car too much work for someone my age?
I'm used to working 12hr days,and enjoy walking and being outdoors.All opinions
count...
Qualify and then memorize Art. 37. Use your hand rails (holds) and do the job by the safety methods NO MATTER HOW YOUNG YOU FEEL. Maybe your knees will hold out (if your mind does) until you retire. Just remember this....if you are hired off the street your gonna be laid off alot (1/2 the time) for the next two years and if you double or single bump your pay is going to drop to part-time pay. (Just little things the management "forgets" to tell you.)

Conan04

Qualify and then memorize Art. 37. Use your hand rails (holds) and do the job by the safety methods NO MATTER HOW YOUNG YOU FEEL. Maybe your knees will hold out (if your mind does) until you retire. Just remember this....if you are hired off the street your gonna be laid off alot (1/2 the time) for the next two years and if you double or single bump your pay is going to drop to part-time pay. (Just little things the management "forgets" to tell you.)

In my building earlier this year, I have seen drivers with about 5 years driver seniority on layoff.

How does UPS calculate the part-time rate for drivers on layoff?