4th of july

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
According to UPS.com: Friday, July 3 will be a normal business day for Parcel/small package pickups & deliveries, commercial & residential. That day will be a holiday for UPS Freight. All operations except Express Critical closed Saturday, July 4.

As many businesses may be closed friday, I would expect your center mgmt will consolidate routes. Inside operations would be adjusted to these changes, too.
As far as being paid for the holiday, you better read YOUR SUPPLEMENT/RIDER/ADDENDA/ETC. as the language seems to vary widely, judging from the many responses above. FWIW, LU705 members eligible for holiday pay "must work his/her regular work day which immediately precedes or follows the holiday unless the Employer agrees to give the employee the extra time off."

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Since I work Friday night and will get done on Saturday morning which is a UPS holiday all of my overtime becomes doubletime rather than time and a half. And I'll get paid for the holiday too. Bend over UPS.

raceanoncr

what happens if you have a Tues-Sat job?

I would think your days off would be Sunday and Monday.

Brilliant!!!

You would get Sat off. In NJ if you have a Tues to Sat job and Mon is a holiday you get an extra days pay. If you work a Sun-Thurs job and Mon is a holiday you have to come in Sun.
They are have a list to sign up for people to take a 1 day RLO in feeders for Fri July 3rd.

Nope, not necessarily. Here, and again I say HERE, I've had bid runs in feeders that were Tues-Sat. When holiday started at midnite on Sats, my double time plus holiday time started when I punched in after midnite on Sat.

Here (notice, HERE) it's going to be the same this year. I even had to grieve it one year (and won). The very next holiday, the very same supe said they weren't gonna pay it. I calmly said that we just won this and don't have any hesitation to file again if that's what he wanted. He adamantly refused. The manager was close by in another office and overheard. When he was appraised of the facts (in front of his supe), he said, "Well, sure he gets paid double. He starts after midnite of the holiday, the loads have to be moved, end of story."

raceanoncr

Brilliant!!!
It's called sarcasm, mensa.

Mensa ... is raceanoncr Indian?

Hoax, it's called, "MensaRace". It's where all UpstateNyers think that all rednecks can't discern sarcasm and have to untie their Wingtips, their bowties, loosen their Jim Beam belt buckles, take off their pop-bottle-horned-rimmed glasses to even read the local post-it notes on the lamp posts.

A

anonymous6

Brilliant!!!

Nope, not necessarily. Here, and again I say HERE, I've had bid runs in feeders that were Tues-Sat. When holiday started at midnite on Sats, my double time plus holiday time started when I punched in after midnite on Sat.

Here (notice, HERE) it's going to be the same this year. I even had to grieve it one year (and won). The very next holiday, the very same supe said they weren't gonna pay it. I calmly said that we just won this and don't have any hesitation to file again if that's what he wanted. He adamantly refused. The manager was close by in another office and overheard. When he was appraised of the facts (in front of his supe), he said, "Well, sure he gets paid double. He starts after midnite of the holiday, the loads have to be moved, end of story."

Thanks amondo

upsman68

I'm sure they will cut routes and send out drivers with 10 and 11 hour planned days. I have a route with a lot of retail stops so a lot of them are open on the 3rd. We will see what they do.

upser_J

You and me both! It is nice getting a 48 hour check.

Especially since I have heard (since last week) that CHEMA is running a "slim" twi or midnight instead of not running at all on Friday. Theyre asking all of us full-timers who wants to work and who doesn't. I'm guessing theyre only doing air.

Sleeve I think the twi will be heavy, and I heard they want to not run a midnite shift.... and either let full timers to go home without pay after the twi or prolly give us some crappy jobs *(correction for any wise guys... crappier than usual:tongue_sm) See what I do not get is how they plan on not doing day work for sunday... yeah the 4th is on saturday but sooo many people will have parties on sunday, that or be too hung over to come to work!! so i guess we're gonna have to wait and see... is there any kind of weeks notice needed if they're gonna shut a shift down??

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm sure they will cut routes and send out drivers with 10 and 11 hour planned days. I have a route with a lot of retail stops so a lot of them are open on the 3rd. We will see what they do.

Don't you know the ratio. For every business you indicate as closed, you get 10 more stops. I'm still PO'd about the 12.25 dispatch on good Friday. I'll be sitting out the disaster that will be July 3rd by virtue of a well placed vacation.

over9five

Staff member
All bid Feeder runs here are scratched for the third. You can bid by seniority for the reduced schedule.
Everyone else is laid off for the day unpaid, or you can use a sick/optional day.

smokey711

We had previously been told that we would work the third like any other Friday... Yesterday they came around asking who wanted to work. We normally run about 25-30 primary sorters on our shift. Next Friday I will be one of four.