4x10 and swings

swinginthewind

I get stuck doing 4x10 more often than not. Usually I work the day off but end of quarter BS is leaving me high and dry on the OT. So my question is, is there something I can do as a swing to keep management from dinging my time cards 4x10 and losing my OT. Because im NOT a 4x10 and this loophole they use is BS

Swngdrvr

Every time I do a 4x10 I get overtime just like normal. As long as you don't put in 4 day work week you should be fine.

!Retired!

Either 1 of 2 things should happen. You either:
1. Get OT for anything over 8 hours the day you run the 4/10, if you're working 5 days.
OR
2. Get your straight pay for the 4/10 and OT for the 5th day.
If you're saying what I think your saying, your paycheck would read something like ~50 straight hours with no OT.

Purplepackage

Either 1 of 2 things should happen. You either:
1. Get OT for anything over 8 hours the day you run the 4/10, if you're working 5 days.
OR
2. Get your straight pay for the 4/10 and OT for the 5th day.
If you're saying what I think your saying, your paycheck would read something like ~50 straight hours with no OT.

Pretty sure he's saying they have him punch 4x10 and then he gets a day off during the week. Like the 4x10 would

swinginthewind

Pretty sure he's saying they have him punch 4x10 and then he gets a day off during the week. Like the 4x10 would

Bingo. There's been week I've done a different route, work 4 days, and still get the overtime pay after 8. Other weeks, like now during crunch time, they force me to punch 4x10, negating overtime after 8, lowering my pay. 40 straight time hours. Usually its the difference of 100 or more bucks for the week.

Purplepackage

Bingo. There's been week I've done a different route, work 4 days, and still get the overtime pay after 8. Other weeks, like now during crunch time, they force me to punch 4x10, negating overtime after 8, lowering my pay. 40 straight time hours. Usually its the difference of 100 or more bucks for the week.

My tip is too always have some money saved away, this company takes overtime away just as fast as they give it. You should always be prepared to have lean weeks but that should be made up when you're working 60 hours because they feel like it

swinginthewind

My tip is too always have some money saved away, this company takes overtime away just as fast as they give it. You should always be prepared to have lean weeks but that should be made up when you're working 60 hours because they feel like it

Agreed. I budget for a minimum pay check. Its not so much the money as the principles. Refusing to let me work my 5th, taking a BS day off in the middle of the week. Just see it as I didn't sign an offer letter 4x10 so why am I being "reclassified" as one as they see fit. Frustrating ups and downs of being a swing.

Schweddy

Balls
I've seen this in my own station where they take a certain lettered individual and put them on a "temporary" stint and it becomes the norm, permanently. No clue how to avoid it though. friend does what they want.

!Retired!

I was told when I first started and was working 50 hour weeks to enjoy it, it won't be around forever. I didn't listen, and then the OT went away. I started budgeting on 35 hours since then and it's worked out well.
Agreed. I budget for a minimum pay check. Its not so much the money as the principles. Refusing to let me work my 5th, taking a BS day off in the middle of the week. Just see it as I didn't sign an offer letter 4x10 so why am I being "reclassified" as one as they see fit. Frustrating ups and downs of being a swing.
Enjoy the time off while you can. Just like OT, it won't happen forever. As a swing, one week you work 20 hours because nobody is on vacation and the next week you have FO, a full route and 3 PM's because EVERYONE'S on vacation.