5 bucks a week to send my child support?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Reasonable? WTF

While I understand your point of view, you have been fishing this "too much" worm and you have only had one bite and that fishie bites at any little morsel that allows him to express his frustrations with and hate of UPS.

As others have argued, the cost is not related to the amount.
If you were to write a bad check, the bank is going to charge you around $35 regardless whether the check was for $5 or a $1000.

​If this is something you do not want to accept then fine.
If this is not something you can understand, then bless your heart.

redman024

It has nothing to do with the amount. I am in the process of finding out how many employees pay this wage attachment fee. At the moment I am up to 7. This means ups sends one electronic payment a week to health and welfare. I know this for a fact because they told me how the process works. So you can't tell me it cost anywhere near 35 dollars let alone 35 cents to send this to health and welfare. This is about a corporation taking advantage of its employees!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
[h=2]6. Income withholding requires extra paperwork for the employer. May the employer charge a processing fee to the employee?[/h]Most States allow the employer to charge the employee an administrative fee for processing the income withholding. Employers may contact their Child Support Enforcement Agency to learn what the administrative fee is in their state. Note that the total amount the employer withholds for child support plus fees may not exceed the maximum amount permitted under the Federal Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA).
[h=2]7. What if the fee plus the child support payment exceeds the maximum allowable amount under CCPA?[/h]If the fee plus the child support exceeds the maximum amount allowed to be withheld under the CCPA, the employer may take the entire amount of its administrative fee and make the child support payment less than the amount in the notice. The amount of support that was not paid because the employer deducted the administrative fee instead becomes part of the arrears owed by the non-custodial parent.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It has nothing to do with the amount. I am in the process of finding out how many employees pay this wage attachment fee. At the moment I am up to 7. This means ups sends one electronic payment a week to health and welfare. I know this for a fact because they told me how the process works. So you can't tell me it cost anywhere near 35 dollars let alone 35 cents to send this to health and welfare. This is about a corporation taking advantage of its employees!

It's good to see people who are passionate about things in their life.
​Good luck on your investigations.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It's good to see people who are passionate about things in their life.
​Good luck on your investigations.

Perhaps instead of being sarcastic and demeaning, you could try having a bit of empathy and put yourself in the shoes of a lower-income part time employee who is asking a legitimate question about why the company he works for is charging him such an exhorbitant fee for a routine weekly deduction from his check. Maybe you should consider being grateful for the fact that $5 a week/$260 a year is pocket change to you instead of sitting there and making fun of those who are not so financially well off. My kids are in their 20's now, but I can remember only a few years back when it would cost me at least $500 apiece each fall just for school clothes, supplies, activity fees and the like. For a low-income working parent, $260 per year in fees is a big deal and the OP has every right to question why 8% of his child support payments are going to UPS instead of his kid. I agree that an employer should be able to charge a reasonable fee, but $5 per week is too much.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Perhaps instead of being sarcastic and demeaning, you could try having a bit of empathy and put yourself in the shoes of a lower-income part time employee who is asking a legitimate question about why the company he works for is charging him such an exhorbitant fee for a routine weekly deduction from his check. Maybe you should consider being grateful for the fact that $5 a week/$260 a year is pocket change to you instead of sitting there and making fun of those who are not so financially well off. My kids are in their 20's now, but I can remember only a few years back when it would cost me at least $500 apiece each fall just for school clothes, supplies, activity fees and the like. For a low-income working parent, $260 per year in fees is a big deal and the OP has every right to question why 8% of his child support payments are going to UPS instead of his kid. I agree that an employer should be able to charge a reasonable fee, but $5 per week is too much.

I know based on your personality, that you display to us here that this is beyond your ability to relate, but I was not being sarcastic.

I worked three jobs and went to school when I was his age and I had a wife and a child. Believe me, I can relate.

He was asking for feedback and he got it and you are the only one who advised him that he should pursue a change in his current state of affairs.

I absolutely doubt your sincerity in your advice because, again, based on your hundred of repetitive posts, you hate anything UPS and anyone who is or was in management at UPS.
This is exposed that you decided to interpret my expression that if he feels passionate about this go for it.

I feel passionate about photography and therefore I pursue that.

You feel passionate about exorcising your demons through hatred of anything UPS.

I fully s​upport all three of us in our pursuit of our passions.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
To me $5/week is a bargain. Granted a large % of your check, but there's a lot more to it than some clerk pushing a few buttons & remitting the child support payment.

How is the rest of your child support paid? Direct payment from your full time employer or do you personally remit? Obviously $60/ week can't be your total support.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was divorced, my ex and I worked out a deal, approved by our lawyers, where I would give her a check every Friday morning when I picked the kids up to bring them to school. It worked out well for both of us.

I'm not going to spend the time to research this but I would have to think that, at $5/week, I would have lost several thousand dollars to an unnecessary administrative fee.

I suggest the OP talk to his ex to see if they can work out a similar arrangement.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here (Ohio) child support has to be paid to the state, then the state pays the spouse. If you try to pay directly and skip the state then officially you haven't paid child support and can be liable for it in the future if things go bad.

soberups

Someone mentioned United Way----can you imagine how low our participation rate would be if UPS charged us an administrative fee for our payroll deductions?

This was my entire point; if UPS is truly concerned with helping the less fortunate by donating to United Way, perhaps some of that charity ought to be directed towards its own low-income employees by waiving the fees it charges for child support garnishments.

soberups

I saw no harassment but someone complaining about a reasonable charge for a state enforced process resulting from his actions. One makes choices and suffers the consequences of poor ones. In this case, it is a relatively minor consequence.

1. $5 per week for a part-time employee is not "reasonable", especially when the company is making a profit off of it.

2. The OP didnt make "poor choices", he was married and then divorced and is now paying child support in a state that requires his wages to be garnished. There is a difference between wage garnishments resulting from failure to pay bills versus wage garnishments that are in place to comply with state laws for child support.

3. $5 per week might seem like a "minor consequence" if you are a full-time management person or a driver who makes $60K per year or more. Its not a "minor consequence" if you are a part timer making $12 an hour for less than 20 hours per week.

The underlying issue here is the fact that the company is taking advantage of the law to make a profit off of the child support being paid by a part time employee, in effect taking money that ought to be going towards the child. I find it hypocritical that the company selectively chooses which automatic deductions it charges a fee for.

soberups

I know based on your personality, that you display to us here that this is beyond your ability to relate, but I was not being sarcastic.

Your initial response to the OP was to feign offense at his screen name, and the tone of every one of your responses has been condescending and sarcastic. To pretend otherwise is both dishonest and an insult to the intelligence of anybody who can read.

soberups

I absolutely doubt your sincerity in your advice because, again, based on your hundred of repetitive posts, you hate anything UPS and anyone who is or was in management at UPS.
This is exposed that you decided to interpret my expression that if he feels passionate about this go for it.

The inability to distinguish criticism from hatred is a common flaw among those with limited intellect or a blind and unthinking loyalty towards a particular entity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Your initial response to the OP was to feign offense at his screen name, and the tone of every one of your responses has been condescending and sarcastic. To pretend otherwise is both dishonest and an insult to the intelligence of anybody who can read.

I'm glad I did not insult you.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Good point! I am willing to pay the true cost!

Be careful what you wish for since you have no idea of the "true cost" to administer and execute the "Garnishment Distribution" system and process at UPS. If UPS were to spend the time to analyze all the cost for this and determine an average cost per transaction, I am pretty sure you would be paying a lot more than $5 per month.

​Go forth and fight your windmills and you will learn something regardless of the outcome.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The inability to distinguish criticism from hatred is a common flaw among those with limited intellect or a blind and unthinking loyalty towards a particular entity.

What would you call someone who only has hatred towards a particular entity?

I know this is therapeutic for you to lash out against something when you are so frustrated with your life.
Its almost enough to make a man drink and I would not want that. :wink2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Well I'm glad and impressed you realized I was feigning offense.

My responses were not meant to be condescending and sarcastic but rather informative and advisory ... Don Quixote can pursue his dreams with his pal Sancho Sober at his side but we all know what the end result will be.

If you were referring to my responses to you, they probably were meant to be condescending and sarcastic.