$550 +commission?

Cheeseman

I am considering taking a petition wit a contractor. They are offering $550 + commission. But I'm not sure what the commission amount is. Anyone have any opinions?

how is it working for contractors? Can on expect to make $650-$70 a wee if you bust your hump?

​thanks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am considering taking a petition wit a contractor. They are offering $550 + commission. But I'm not sure what the commission amount is. Anyone have any opinions?

how is it working for contractors? Can on expect to make $650-$70 a wee if you bust your hump?

​thanks

Run, Forrest, run!! Not a good opportunity. Ground is a sham and a scam. Look elsewhere for a real job.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Like where?

That depends on the minimum wage for the state where he works. In some states, Ground is hovering right around that figure. Please tell the OP that the $550 is probably for 60 hrs. per week, and that the "commission" is a joke.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

650 is a good number for a Ground driver. I wouldn't count on it being so high. It could be as STXFGHJKL stated, where you receive per package, or it could be for something like a weekly/monthly bonus for no complaints, accidents, or disputed deliveries. Either way, it is marginal. I'd cut your number in half. Best case scenario is an extra 100 or 200 bucks a month, if that. Don't go in blind. Are you doing Ground or HD? Ride with the drivers. Ask them questions. Contractors are usually full of doodoo. The only ones I would trust with any reliable information are owner/operators... meaning contractors who own one route and drive one route. The others will blow smoke to get you on board, then they will ride you for $$$$$$, especially right before and during peak.

Unless you are a member of the 1%, you are and will be exploited.
BBSAM, you are better than this. All blue collar workers are exploited to some extent. However, many jobs pay hourly wages, overtime, and offer some form of benefits and maybe even a retirement. Most Ground contractors pay little more than minimum wage and offer no benefits. The difference in exploitation between Ground and other average entry level jobs is not small, it is a huge gaping chasm.

I'd rather be exploited by the hour with some health insurance. That was a rhetorical statement by the way, I get paid rather well by FedEx for doing nothign but clacking on a keyboard and eating various fried foods all day, and I have benefits. I need coverage in case I have a heart attack.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Don't mind bbsam, he doesn't se to be real happy with Ground these days (witness his lack of "Ground is the greatest" posts.) Looks like the bloom is off the rosebush as far as that goes.

Last edited:

HomeDelivery

start with the local TEMP AGENCY that will pay you BY THE HOUR... that way you can learn the process while getting paid for your time in the building & on-the-road

if you can shovel out those stops faster than at least 15 per-on-road hour or more, then that's when you start considering going with a contractor that pays BOTH minimum set salary day & bonus per-stop or per-package pay after a set amount of stops

​good luck in whatever you do

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Don't mind bbsam, he doesn't se to be real happy with Ground these days (witness his lack of "Ground is the greatest" posts.) Looks like the bloom is off the rosebush as far as that goes.

I suspect he's been on the road instead of the keyboard lately.

bbsam

Staff member
I suspect he's been on the road instead of the keyboard lately.
I have been clear about where I have been. I am the volunteer grounds keeper for our soccer club. Mowing, trash, field striping, etc. Very time consuming and rewarding.

bbsam

Staff member
650 is a good number for a Ground driver. I wouldn't count on it being so high. It could be as STXFGHJKL stated, where you receive per package, or it could be for something like a weekly/monthly bonus for no complaints, accidents, or disputed deliveries. Either way, it is marginal. I'd cut your number in half. Best case scenario is an extra 100 or 200 bucks a month, if that. Don't go in blind. Are you doing Ground or HD? Ride with the drivers. Ask them questions. Contractors are usually full of doodoo. The only ones I would trust with any reliable information are owner/operators... meaning contractors who own one route and drive one route. The others will blow smoke to get you on board, then they will ride you for $$$$$$, especially right before and during peak.

BBSAM, you are better than this. All blue collar workers are exploited to some extent. However, many jobs pay hourly wages, overtime, and offer some form of benefits and maybe even a retirement. Most Ground contractors pay little more than minimum wage and offer no benefits. The difference in exploitation between Ground and other average entry level jobs is not small, it is a huge gaping chasm.

I'd rather be exploited by the hour with some health insurance. That was a rhetorical statement by the way, I get paid rather well by FedEx for doing nothign but clacking on a keyboard and eating various fried foods all day, and I have benefits. I need coverage in case I have a heart attack.

I am serious. Where are the more preferable jobs? Everybody says don't go to Ground, but few seem to go to the lengths needed to go elsewhere. I came to Ground from UPS and then to driving a taxi and then RPS. If not Ground, then what and what will be the cost involved in that path forward?

fedupped

I am serious. Where are the more preferable jobs? Everybody says don't go to Ground, but few seem to go to the lengths needed to go elsewhere. I came to Ground from UPS and then to driving a taxi and then RPS. If not Ground, then what and what will be the cost involved in that path forward?
650 was a good number for me....25 years ago.

bbsam

Staff member
Yeah, OK. How many SPH did you do?

Hard to say. We have 10 fields. Games are Saturday and Sunday. I usually mow on Monday and Tuesdays. I usually use a push mower to go over the striped lines for a cleaner look and it keeps the lines more visible through the week. Wednesday I start painting. We usually paint each line in both directions. It held the AR's (assistant referees) determine balls out of bounds looking down the line in either direction. Thursday is a miscellaneous day of touchup, trash, and whatever maintenance needs to be done on mowers, etc. I have started rolling the fields about once a week. The irrigation system made a few fields too soft and subject to pretty bad ruts by the ZTrak lawnmower.

The soccer fields in Muscatine Iowa are absolutely top notch but they have alot of corporate money and city money going into them. We are pretty ghetto in comparison and deal with a much smaller private budget, but I do my best to emulate those fields.