6 1/2 years preload to new fulltime driver

Bitcoinz

They wanted my "Avatar" pic.
I've been working with brown since 2008. I went from seasonal help loading 5 trucks, unload, sort and finally spa position within 6 and a half years. I love my company and my union, it's a delicate balance.

I know what is expected in the first 30 days. Sweat and blood (well hopefully no blood). I 've waited so long, it seemed surreal when they notified me. I'm excited, nervous and anxious all at the same time.

I guess what I am asking for is some beginner tips or maybe driving stories you would like to share when you first went full-time. I'd really appreciate it :)

Be safe out there...

clever_username

Philosoraptor
Take your time and learn your route, you get a big overage allowance when starting off.
Don't keep your DIAD in your holster when you're driving, as it can accidentally record while traveling. Use the holder on the dash.
Once you get your large packages/air out of the way, find a place to stop and sort your shelves out. It will save time later.

Bitcoinz

Wear good shoes. make sure you break them in,before you try them on the route.

Your feet can make or break you.

Can you suggest a certain style/brand? One of my buddies who went driving recently said he got some Dr. Scholls pads in his boots and they really helped.

But maybe there is a certain boot most drivers prefer?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The shoe topic has been beaten to death. Search for shoes using the search function.
Yes, unless you get a contoured insole built into the shoe, the dr sholls gel insoles feel great on the feet. Don't get the generic.
There are hundreds of new driver threads on the forum but bottom line hustle your butt off and don't hit anything.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

Bitcoinz

The shoe topic has been beaten to death. Search for shoes using the search function.
Yes, unless you get a contoured insole built into the shoe, the dr sholls gel insoles feel great on the feet. Don't get the generic.
There are hundreds of new driver threads on the forum but bottom line hustle your butt off and don't hit anything.

Sent from my 28 year old brown truck

LOL. Great tips! Thank you. Did you know about the new language in the contract about drivers and accidents? There is a new section about new drivers in minors accidents, they will not be disqualified from their 30 days. Wonder if this related the mass driver hiring and the amazon contract...

We botched it once, this is our last time maybe? Maybe they HAVE to have more drivers on road, perhaps the stockholders are demanding it. They won't screw it up this peak. Not with the threat of other smaller companies picking it up. UPS is too big to give that up.

*edit* when I meant mass hiring related to the new 9.5 language in our contract.

guyinthebrownbox

Most of these pertain to the 30-day probation ONLY

Show up early if your management team allows it to sort your truck. At least enough to get your day started smoothly.

Hustle

Drive the route in your own car. I drove mine and drew my own residential maps and wrote down all the number breaks for each block of the neighborhoods. Yea you are spending your own money and time but think of it as a return on investment once you qualify.

Stop the truck if needed and sort your next 10,20, or 30 stops.

If you must, skip that lunch until you get faster. I must stress this is strictly for qualifying only. Make that paper report look as good as possible.

Hustle.

Ask questions. Ask other drivers for tips (within being safe and honest). Sometimes the trainer can't or won't tell you everything, whether on purpose or not

Wear the correct uniform and meet appearance standards to the letter. Don't give them even the smallest reason to DQ you.

Hustle like your life depends on it. Short of being unsafe, get your jog on. Hustle. Hustle. Hustle.

At first, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Concentrate on being smooth, not fast. It will come. Even down to something as little as the movement you make turning the truck off, getting the seat belt off, and getting the bulk head door open. Seconds count when you have 150 stops.

Do not have service failures. Get those airs off and hit those pick up windows.

Hustle

Don't count the cost of qualifying. Don't think about the 30 day period. Show up, be :censored2:ing awesome at everything, go home. No BS

I'll add more if I can think of anything. My trainer told me you need 3 things to qualify

1. Area knowledge-knowing the route. Memorizing addresses, landmarks, number breaks, and delivery points
2. Organization-overcoming a bad preloader. Keeping the truck sorted. Come in early if management allows
3. Hustle-motherflippin hustle

It comes down to this. Be safe, don't get hurt, and don't crash/hit anything with the truck. Beyond that, hustle. Deliver like you got something to prove. Perform the job as if someone is watching all day.

A lot of people complain about the job being hard or that the standards are too high. Basically they can't hack it. Yea the job is tough. They are going to pay you $25-$30+ an hour. And they WILL expect that amount of work in return.

There are going to be days it absolutely sucks. You'll be behind, you'll have too many stops, some customer will be mad at you, the weather will suck, and your truck might break down. All in the same day. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when. But it comes down to this....

You either want it or you don't. You have to tell yourself, not matter how bad it gets, I'm going to make it. PERIOD

Sent using BrownCafe App

Can you suggest a in certain style/brand? One of my buddies who went driving recently said he got some Dr. Scholls pads in his boots and they really helped.

Everybody has a different prefrence. I wear over the ankle boots In the winter (usually sketchers) if they are too heavy,it bothers my knees.

clever_username

Philosoraptor
Can you suggest a certain style/brand? One of my buddies who went driving recently said he got some Dr. Scholls pads in his boots and they really helped.

I wear Danner GTX Strikers. Waterproof and they have that Danner quality. Can be had for around $150 online.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
LOL. Great tips! Thank you. Did you know about the new language in the contract about drivers and accidents? There is a new section about new drivers in minors accidents, they will not be disqualified from their 30 days. Wonder if this related the mass driver hiring and the amazon contract...

We botched it once, this is our last time maybe? Maybe they HAVE to have more drivers on road, perhaps the stockholders are demanding it. They won't screw it up this peak. Not with the threat of other smaller companies picking it up. UPS is too big to give that up.

*edit* when I meant mass hiring related to the new 9.5 language in our contract.
Uh no minor accident language I know of. We have had a few DQ for broken mirror while pulling out of the building this summer.