6 hour splits for weekly minimum

thedownhillEXPRESS

That's right, the great company we work for is telling courriers (whose route is cut/has minimal work) that they need to come back for the pm sort, if you refuse, you are waiving your weekly minimum.

This will affect many people when DRA starts systematically cutting routes, and will greatly affect those in swing positions, do an FO or p1 route, sit for 5-6 hours, work another 2......

Is this even legal in every state for a "full timer" for Christs sake?

FedUpRTD

If you are DOT, FedEx will have a hard time making this work with the HOS rules. When I was a courier years ago, we were all DOT. I think that FedEx largely moved away from that awhile back, but I can't be certain.

STFXG

You are off duty when not operating. Requiring you to come back doesnt violate any dot rules. If you work 6 hours then go off duty and come back in for 2 then that's still only an 8 hour day.

Also if its company policy to work the later shift in order to get paid a weekly minimum that is not illegal in any way. They are only required to pay hourly for the amount of hours you work. Offering to pay more than that, or a minimum weekly pay, is just kindness out of fedexs heart. Not required.

FedUpRTD

That is not true. Your break time is counted toward your duty hours. If you work 8 hours plus a 1 hour break, then in the eyes of the DOT you were on duty for 9 hours. Your true "off duty" hours can't be less than 10 consecutive hours.

thedownhillEXPRESS

10 hours is nothing.

night sort ends 8pm?
6 am start

Even moving the times around a little wont affect most employees.

DOT won't mean much if any as you can see

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's right, the great company we work for is telling courriers (whose route is cut/has minimal work) that they need to come back for the pm sort, if you refuse, you are waiving your weekly minimum.

This will affect many people when DRA starts systematically cutting routes, and will greatly affect those in swing positions, do an FO or p1 route, sit for 5-6 hours, work another 2......

Is this even legal in every state for a "full timer" for Christs sake?

Wonderful. Think we need a union?

packageguy

I work ups, so I might sound out of place. I thought you owned your routes and get paid by the piece. so if your truck is full of work way stop. I would finish and go home come back tomorrow. why come back for 2 hours. Are they paying gas and expenses.
I see a law suit coming real soon?

thedownhillEXPRESS

I work ups, so I might sound out of place. I thought you owned your routes and get paid by the piece. so if your truck is full of work way stop. I would finish and go home come back tomorrow. why come back for 2 hours. Are they paying gas and expenses.

you thought wrong, better do some research and then get back to us.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

You're thinking of Ground, and they aren't set-up in the way you describe either.

STFXG

That is not true. Your break time is counted toward your duty hours. If you work 8 hours plus a 1 hour break, then in the eyes of the DOT you were on duty for 9 hours. Your true "off duty" hours can't be less than 10 consecutive hours.

True but if you are taken off the clock you are off duty. You are talking about break time. A split shift is taking you off duty. The hours count towards your restart time. So if you work 6 go home for 4 and work 2 more then you'd be counted as 12 hours without the 8 hour of consecutive off duty to reset your hours... And you still get the 70 hours per week total with a 34 hour reset for every 70 hours on in a 7 day period.

vantexan

You are talking about Ground, he's talking about Express, who are regular employees. That's the big issue which will be huge next week. Fred S will announce a restructuring of the Express division.

vantexan

True but if you are taken off the clock you are off duty. You are talking about break time. A split shift is taking you off duty. The hours count towards your restart time. So if you work 6 go home for 4 and work 2 more then you'd be counted as 12 hours without the 8 hour of consecutive off duty to reset your hours... And you still get the 70 hours per week total with a 34 hour reset for every 70 hours on in a 7 day period.

Pretty certain under DOT rules we must be off at least 10 consecutive hrs between end of shift and start of the next one. The point being to make sure we get adequate rest before going out onroad.

DontThrowPackages

How great would that be ,if we could all afford it, to them they can have the 2 hours we're not coming back. They would have to hire even more people to work 2 hours a day with no immediate chance of promotion.

STFXG

Pretty certain under DOT rules we must be off at least 10 consecutive hrs between end of shift and start of the next one. The point being to make sure we get adequate rest before going out onroad.

Sounds right to me. Not sure why I said 8. Long day... Thanks for correction.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sounds right to me. Not sure why I said 8. Long day... Thanks for correction.

If this is true (6 hr splits), what a joke. So, let's say you start at 0700 and work until 1045, then take a 6-hr split. That brings you back at 1645, which is too late to do pickups on the Left Coast, but just in-time for the reload. On the East Coast, you could still be doing pickups until much later. How is everyone with giving Fred 12-13 hours a day for what, 6-7 hrs of work? Don't forget to factor-in your doubled commute and fuel costs. Where do I sign up?

thedownhillEXPRESS

It's not "if".
This is what is being told to full timers who don't sign off on their guarantee hours.
Your only scheduled for 20 hours this week?
Waive your right to 35 hours or see you on the reload.

Several people in different stations have reported this in the past two weeks.

I'm sure it is going to become commonplace and is part of the master plan...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's not "if".
This is what is being told to full timers who don't sign off on their guarantee hours.
Your only scheduled for 20 hours this week?
Waive your right to 35 hours or see you on the reload.

Several people in different stations have reported this in the past two weeks.

I'm sure it is going to become commonplace and is part of the master plan...

I've been predicting for some time that the 35 hr guarantee for FT is going away. I think that you are correct about it being included in the Master Plan.