6th day on the job as a preloader and starting to get blisters

viper133

I just noticed a small blister in my toe in only one foot yesterday and it got even bigger today. If i keep working will it pop on the job and cause me an infection? should i pop it before working and cover it with gauges and anti bacteria ointment?

will my toe eventually get use to the job so i wont get blisters anymore?

i will be working tomorrow(friday) and then having the next 2 days off, hopefully that blister will heal by then!

Thanks, i need guidance!
:sad-very:

Btw, i am wearing some thick socks and a police type of work boot.

brownedout

No matter if you pop it or not you should absolutely cover it. Especially before your shift. Foreign matter entering the blister may cause infection, your sweat (perspiration) is foreign matter. I too got blisters on my toes (2 of them) last week for the first time in over 15 years. Due to the extreme heat most of us have been dealing with, I was probably walking/stepping a little different causing the blister(s). If your wearing a cotton sock try a synthetic blend, or vice-versa, use what works for you. I have found the synthetic socks work best as a driver. This is contrary to everything I was led to believe when I started. Different day different age, much better materials. Also I believe you're right when you ask if your feet will get used to the different motions you are now using. It could be as simple as that. Good luck to you viper.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Boots are a bad idea when working preload, high tops ingeneral.

What you can try to do is wrap or place napkins or spacing between the spot with the blister.

I used to play a lot of ice hockey before working here, and my feet are used to abuse. But I would get blisters or ( even worse ) trench foot while working preload, it isnt fun I know. The best you can do is get a comfy pair of walking shoe/ work shoe, non slip, non meshed and low tops.

In two days your feet should heal quickly.

You can pop the blister. Use a pin, something with a sharp point. Heat ( lighter ) the point until its black, so it sterilizes the pin, wait till it cools off. Take the pin and poke a small hole into the blister and let it leak out. Place a bandaid over the area. When putting your shoes on, feel the area within, does it hurt? Does it feel like it rubs on that spot? If so, take napkins and try to space the area out between the shoe. Keep placing the show back on, lace up and try walking around. If it feels good for the time being, it will work for awhile. If you feel it again, repeat the spacing process.

viper133

ORLY!?!, but that work boot is as light as sneakers.

plus my supervisor wont allow sneakers, i agree to wear boots as an unloader, but not having to wear sneakers as a preloader is just not right. you lose the speed and accuracy walking.

Last edited:

viper133

Indecisi0n, when i was testing out that boot at Sears last week, it felt so comfortable. No signs of tightness or rubbing. Maybe i need to adjust my gait, my right foot is fine (well not 100%, its a tiny hardened blister).

Indecisi0n

First don't ever start work with new boots/shoes. Always wear them in for a day or two before using them at work. This helps break in the shoes and contours to your foot.

brownedout

First don't ever start work with new boots/shoes. Always wear them in for a day or two before using them at work. This helps break in the shoes and contours to your foot.
Yeah, awesome tip. I'll usually wear mine for a few hours at the very least, doing work around the house/yard.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I just noticed a small blister in my toe in only one foot yesterday and it got even bigger today. If i keep working will it pop on the job and cause me an infection? should i pop it before working and cover it with gauges and anti bacteria ointment?

will my toe eventually get use to the job so i wont get blisters anymore?

i will be working tomorrow(friday) and then having the next 2 days off, hopefully that blister will heal by then!

Thanks, i need guidance!
:sad-very:

Btw, i am wearing some thick socks and a police type of work boot.

Soak your feet in epson salt. Then suck it up and be a man. :)

air_dr

I had almost the exact same problem when I was hired and started on the preload. You have thick socks, which I have found to be helpful as well. I wear King Cotton by Wigwam available mail order from Cameron Wollens of Wisconsin. In my case, my issues cleared up when I changed the brand of work boots I wore. I went with Caterpillars, the "Birmingham." I personally prefer the work boots to be looser rather than tighter, but of course, not too loose.

To make a long story short, I ended up solving my problem by changing shoes even though two MDs, one of which was a podiatrist, assured me that my shoes were not the problem. Take that for what ever its worth to you.

Did you wear the same thick socks to the store when you selected the right size to purchase? The thick socks may call for going with a larger shoe size. Just a thought.

viper133

Soak your feet in epson salt. Then suck it up and be a man. :)
I would follow your advice, but all i've got are iodized salt.

I had almost the exact same problem when I was hired and started on the preload. You have thick socks, which I have found to be helpful as well. I wear King Cotton by Wigwam available mail order from Cameron Wollens of Wisconsin. In my case, my issues cleared up when I changed the brand of work boots I wore. I went with Caterpillars, the "Birmingham." I personally prefer the work boots to be looser rather than tighter, but of course, not too loose.

To make a long story short, I ended up solving my problem by changing shoes even though two MDs, one of which was a podiatrist, assured me that my shoes were not the problem. Take that for what ever its worth to you.

Did you wear the same thick socks to the store when you selected the right size to purchase? The thick socks may call for going with a larger shoe size. Just a thought.

thanks for your reply, i didnt know CAT made shoes. Must be better than timberlands.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I was going to say as well warm salt water, may burn for while but it will dry it out and pull what infection out.

Also go to a pharmacy and ask them for moleskin, I think its a brand name. Just use it to cover the blistered area after you clean it. This will keep the sock/boot from rubbing against it until it heals or you find different foot wear.

goetface

The joints in my hands aka my knuckles are swollen and painful, this is my first week unloading. My back only hurts when I get a trailer that is all floor height and I gotta constantly pick up bulk and put it on the belt. Then sup says faster, faster ,faster meanwhile I know Im doing a good PPH, because i unloaded a full 53 in 1h15min which includes jams and belt stops from load side, so I just say yes sir. Im low on the KY but its all good.

dillweed

Sorry to hear about your pain! I've been there and it's rough and the hot weather is probably making it worse.

The epsom salts is a good idea. It feels good and draws out infection and nasties from the open area. Not that expensive and good stuff to have around the house.

For sure cushion the area well. Make sure nothing is rubbing on it. You can use bandaids or anything that feels comfy. Sometimes those tender areas toughen up in time but you've had lots of good suggestions to try. Best of luck, foot pain hurts in the whole bod!

Returntosender

Develop thick skin real fast. Because if you choose to work ups for years. Your going develop polyps in your rectum if you let BS get to you.