6th day, time and a half while under 40 hours?

EmraldArcher

If you work a 6th day (doing Saturday air after driving M-friend for instance) it's supposed to be time and a half all day right?

Does this apply if you haven't yet worked 40 straight time hours yet?

For instance, I finished early one day and ended the day on Friday with 39.57 straight time hours.

Should my time and a half pay on Saturday be for my entire time on the clock or do I get paid .43 straight time hours and the rest as time and a half?

EmraldArcher

Sixth punch. Time and a half. Every second here in the central.

Sent using BrownCafe App

OK thanks, that's what I thought but the amount the screwed me over on Saturday was exactly enough to get me to 40 straight time hours for the week so I wasn't sure if that was how it was supposed to be.

By The Book

Sixth punch. Time and a half. Every second here in the central.

Sent using BrownCafe App
In my area, anything over 8, over 40, a sixth punch, or hours worked on a Saturday, for a m-friend employee is time and a half. An example I had was one day I was sick during the week and worked Saturday. My check was straight time and my center manager had to go back and put in an adjustment. He told me only 6th punch, but I showed him the language. My question to you is aren't you guaranteed 8 hrs.when you punch in?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In my area, anything over 8, over 40, a sixth punch, or hours worked on a Saturday, for a m-friend employee is time and a half. An example I had was one day I was sick during the week and worked Saturday. My check was straight time and my center manager had to go back and put in an adjustment. He told me only 6th punch, but I showed him the language. My question to you is aren't you guaranteed 8 hrs.when you punch in?
I assume you're not in the central? If you are where is the language?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your check should have been straight time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I assume you're not in the central? If you are where is the language?
Here ya go:

Article 12 Section 9-Full-Time and Part-time Employees
All work performed on the employee’s sixth (6th) day shall be paid
at time and one-half (1 1/2). All work performed on the employee’s
seventh (7th) day worked shall be paid at double time.
Prior to working any employee six (6) or seven (7) days, the
Employer shall have the right to work any qualified employee who
has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days.

If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th)
consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the
appropriate premium regardless of the established work week.

Key word is opportunity.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Here ya go:

Article 12 Section 9-Full-Time and Part-time Employees
All work performed on the employee’s sixth (6th) day shall be paid
at time and one-half (1 1/2). All work performed on the employee’s
seventh (7th) day worked shall be paid at double time.
Prior to working any employee six (6) or seven (7) days, the
Employer shall have the right to work any qualified employee who
has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days.

If an employee is required to work a sixth (6th) and seventh (7th)
consecutive day at the Employer’s request, they shall be paid the
appropriate premium regardless of the established work week.

Key word is opportunity.

The language you highlighted, allows the company the right to work

an employee at straight time.... as opposed to paying the premium

before, another employee on a 6th or 7th punch.

Thats what you meant.... right ??

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The language you highlighted, allows the company the right to work

an employee at straight time.... as opposed to paying the premium

before, another employee on a 6th or 7th punch.

Thats what you meant.... right ??

-Bug-
No, that isn't what I meant.
It is my contention that if I am scheduled to work Monday thru Friday, but I call off on a given day, that doesn't give the company the right to use me on Saturday for straight time over a senior employee who has worked all five days.
I had the opportunity to work, but did not, for whatever reason.
If it were the other way around as you suggest, wouldn't the company be rewarding the guy who called in and penalizing the senior worker who came to work all week?
If this scenario were to play out with a scheduled day off, we would have seniority issues as well if the senior employee wasn't offered the same opportunity.
Is the this employee now entitled to 8 hours on Saturday?
I think so.
Sounds like a good trade off your way, a day of hard ground work for a gravy Saturday air day?

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No, that isn't what I meant.
It is my contention that if I am scheduled to work Monday thru Friday, but I call off on a given day, that doesn't give the company the right to use me on Saturday for straight time over a senior employee who has worked all five days.

Unfortunately, that has been grieved numerous times....

The company has a right to pay straight time versus overtime.

(The state panel always shoots it down)

You see it happen, with inside employees more often.

They will sign up for a Sunday sort, come in and not work. Then....

on Friday expect time and 1/2.

The smart ones, have figured out to get on the clock for a few minutes.

-Bug-

Brownslave688

-Bug-
Yep this is how I was thinking it was and how its been done in my area. Was hopin someone would confirm or deny the way it's been done before. Thanks.

For us in feeder here that means they can work straight time Tu-Sat and/or Sun-Th drivers before they will go to the sign up sheets to fill the needs. If they pull guys in who signed up then those guys WILL get paid for their 6/7th day regardless of hours worked on days 1-5

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-
Perhaps I place too much emphasis on reading and comprehending the meaning of the phrase "who has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days"?
While I believe that the panels have ruled against it, I don't believe this is how this language should be interpreted.
In my mind, this is indicative of what is wrong with the panel system.
Why should we be bound eternally by poor decisions of the past?
What is the purpose of the phrase "who has not yet had the opportunity to work five (5) days", if not for how I interpret it?
I think the language is meant to isolate employees who were laid off during that particular work week due to seniority, not for any random slug who called off or made an extra contractual agreement outside the constraints of seniority with management.
How is it fair that I work a ball buster route M-friend, while a junior guy works 4 of 5 ground days during the same period and then rounds out his week on a gravy Saturday Air day?

I have grieved this very issue and was awarded 8 hours at time and a half at the local level, twice.
I guess the labor manager didn't know of these decisions, or thought my position was a fresh look at the issue in contrast to the previous cases argued at panel and didn't want to upset the previous precedent.
Maybe next time we'll lock it up and rewrite history.
It needs to happen more often.

Brownslave688

I kind of agree bubblehead. If what the contract actually means is only those who have actually worked 5 days well take out the word opprutunity.