70 HOS exemption for vehicles under 10k LBS

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Okay , when FXG went to 7 day operation, there was an exemption when it comes to 70 HOS: if one drives a vehicle under 10,000 lbs, the HOS goes out the window.

Only the 10 hour rest period is adhered to make sure the driver had some rest between shifts.

Lately, our terminal is enforcing the 70 hour/week HOS, no matter if you're driving a rental cargo van, p500, p700, plus 1000~1200, iCs box trucks

giphy.gif

Now I'll probably see some integrity issues behind the scenes as subcontractors are being pinched to hire more drivers and rental vehicles... it's not going to get better as peak season arrives

Are other FXG terminals doing the same?

It will be fine

Okay , when FXG went to 7 day operation, there was an exemption when it comes to 70 HOS: if one drives a vehicle under 10,000 lbs, the HOS goes out the window.

Only the 10 hour rest period is adhered to make sure the driver had some rest between shifts.

Lately, our terminal is enforcing the 70 hour/week HOS, no matter if you're driving a rental cargo van, p500, p700, plus 1000~1200, iCs box trucks

giphy.gif

Now I'll probably see some integrity issues behind the scenes as subcontractors are being pinched to hire more drivers and rental vehicles... it's not going to get better as peak season arrives

Are other FXG terminals doing the same?
HOS doesn’t apply if the truck being driven isn’t governed by DOT regulations. Anything under 10k isn’t governed by HOS regulations. That’s why contractors get in trouble for not paying overtime to drivers using under 10k vehicles.

OrioN

That's what I told the BCs, that those under the 10k lb limit are free to go as many hours to get the job done...

I've done that in the previous terminal with no repercussions from management when I had my 9,000 lb box truck.

Someone did take a pic of the gvw sticker in the door jamb as proof & was never pestered about it again.

The only thing I have to watch was my on duty time the next day....

OrioN

I dunno y some drivers are working non stop on some van lines that I walk by... they don't remember wut day of the week it is; well, unless it was pay day (Friday)

With 200 to 300 stops/ day some of them has a day off & those routes gets split into two

Peak never ended

OrioN

Does anyone have to do 7 days or is that by choice? I feel like it would turn your brain to mush.
It's by choice...

Those drivers that do so seems to need to fund their expensive habits (boating, fishing, motorcycle, etc)

Others can take the abuse and is gathering the extra income for a bigger nest egg (shrugs)

I told those select few, if you can handle this workload, you're UPS quality and to check it out.

Of course, they'll have to adapt not taking run n gun shortcuts/ FXG bad habits & start learning those 5s & 10s though

A few finally cried uncle this month and started to scale back to one day off... or they'll be too burnt out by labor day.

OrioN

I can do it because I mainly clean up the line and it's less than 50 stops after I get those bulk routes out first...

weekends, however, is when I cover a route or on Sundays 2 routes

AB831

Not for me, but it’s happening with some contractors in my building. I’ve had guys ask to because they want the money, but it’s really not safe.
Yeah, I feel like you’re just setting yourself up for a momentary lapse in concentration which is all it takes for a bad accident.

bacha29

Yeah, I feel like you’re just setting yourself up for a momentary lapse in concentration which is all it takes for a bad accident.
Don't let them fool you. The reason they're out there 80-90 hours a week is because the wages are so low they need it just to economically survive along with things such as back child support, delinquent car loans and rent.

What they don't realize is that a Ground stop gap measures often become permanent solutions . And for many of them once they got themselves into that slave like environment they never get out of it with quitting altogether there only means of escape.

Furthermore, In many cases a 6/70 is now the standard work week and a condition of employment for many a contractor employed driver.

How long it will go on? Probably until the public spotlight becomes focused on it.

zeev

What is the insurance rates on the transient drivers great info for accident attorneys. Also I talked to a Ground driver no benefits paid salary looked a little drug altered.

dmac1

They would be enforcing it so when peak comes, those owners who are already going over 70 HOS will have more drivers already on hand. If you need to hire maybe 2 more drivers now to meet 70HOS, when peak comes and they stop enforcing 70 HOS, the owner will be able to have drivers go up to 98 HOS, plus have the added drivers also available to do 98 HOS. That adds 40% more hours available for each driver plus the 98 hours from each extra driver you add now that you may not 'need' It is FEDEX's way of forcing you to be ready.

AB831

They would be enforcing it so when peak comes, those owners who are already going over 70 HOS will have more drivers already on hand. If you need to hire maybe 2 more drivers now to meet 70HOS, when peak comes and they stop enforcing 70 HOS, the owner will be able to have drivers go up to 98 HOS, plus have the added drivers also available to do 98 HOS. That adds 40% more hours available for each driver plus the 98 hours from each extra driver you add now that you may not 'need' It is FEDEX's way of forcing you to be ready.
What if you don’t want to work 98 hours in a week?