70 hours is now the new 60

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We were informed at 5:00 on Friday that the entire building was being required to come in and work today (Christmas Eve) and that UPS was utilizing some sort of loophole in the DOT rules that allows us to work 70 hours in a week, not 60. So work we did...I clocked out with 59 hours and 55 minutes on Friday night, only to work another 6.5 hours today. I had never heard of this loophole before. Is this a new thing?

Discussed in another thread:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/dot-70-hour-rule.371978/

Last edited by a moderator:

40 and out

We were informed at 5:00 on Friday that the entire building was being required to come in and work today (Christmas Eve) and that UPS was utilizing some sort of loophole in the DOT rules that allows us to work 70 hours in a week, not 60. So work we did...I clocked out with 59 hours and 55 minutes on Friday night, only to work another 6.5 hours today. I had never heard of this loophole before. Is this a new thing?
Rumor was they were going to try that crap here. Glad they didn't cause I sure as hell didn't want to work today. 4 weeks of 60 to 65 hrs. Never in 28 peaks of driving has that happened.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There was another thread discussing this.
It is a provision in the DOT Regulations and it is happening in various places across the US.
You are a great American.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Safety my ass. Run everyone into the ground until they have no gas left then run them some more. Then have a PCM about how important adequate rest and stress reduction are. They can go fxxk themselves and die.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Safety my ass. Run everyone into the ground until they have no gas left then run them some more. Then have a PCM about how important adequate rest and stress reduction are. They can go fxxk themselves and die.
They being UPS?
An inanimate legal entity.
Ain't gonna happen! Wouldn't be prudent.

Bad Gas!

Hey?...So you saying there is a chance...No. I didn't go in Christmas Eve.. Sure enjoyed chasing
g the grandkids. Ignored supervisor calls. I told em all week I wasn't working and saw lower senorita people were off..

P

pickup

Discussed in another thread:
DOT 70 hour rule??

I can't find my contract book and I don't know if what I am about to talk about is in the master contract or my supplement but aren't the schedule and assigned bids supposed to be posted by Thurs afternoon? And if that is the case, the company can't force anybody to work on Saturday by changing that schedule on a Friday afternoon.

I also believe, SoberUPs, that if the company had disclosed at the beginning of the work week what they already were planning to do to have drivers available on Saturday that many drivers would have worked close to 14 hour days which would have been 13 hour on duty hours per day which would have given said drivers 65 hours by the end of Friday thus not giving the required 8 hours for duty on Saturday.

P

pickup

I can't find my contract book and I don't know if what I am about to talk about is in the master contract or my supplement but aren't the schedule and assigned bids supposed to be posted by Thurs afternoon? And if that is the case, the company can't force anybody to work on Saturday by changing that schedule on a Friday afternoon.

I also believe, SoberUPs, that if the company had disclosed at the beginning of the work week what they already were planning to do to have drivers available on Saturday that many drivers would have worked close to 14 hour days which would have been 13 hour on duty hours per day which would have given said drivers 65 hours by the end of Friday thus not giving the required 8 hours for duty on Saturday.

Any driver pursuing the above mentioned strategy just needs to work a click above 62 hours to not have 8 hours available for Saturday.

soberups

In this case, we were technically under no obligation to report for duty on a Saturday morning since we were not told until Friday night that we were working.
Almost 200 drivers showed up anyway, in order to make sure all our customers got their Christmas gifts.
I wasn't thrilled about having to come in, and the company really mis-handled the dispatch and violated the contract...but I was also really proud to be a part of that display of teamwork, professionalism, and dedication to our customers. I made $50 an hour to drive 100 miles and hand out 40 Christmas gifts and half a box of dog biscuits. So I'm certainly not feeling like a victim.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
It's still voluntary, l didn't work. A Saturday Christmas Eve is a rare occurrence, people can go without dogfood and paper towels for one day. I fully expect lose the no forced sixth punch language in the next contract.

over9five

Staff member
Any driver pursuing the above mentioned strategy just needs to work a click above 62 hours to not have 8 hours available for Saturday.
DOT hours and your paid hours for UPS are different. Breaks don't count toward your DOT hours.
IE, I often work over 71 hours, but I am still in compliance. (Two 10 minute breaks/day).
Just an FYI, you may need more than a click...

soberups

We had several drivers with more than 62 hours who showed up anyway and got their 8 hour gurantee.
Our BA was at the building reminding drivers that (a) they were under no obligation to work and (b) they were entitled to 8 hours pay regardless of their remaining DOT hours.
Our frustration was not that we had to work on Christmas Eve or on a Saturday, it was that our District Operations Manager told us a bald-faced lie at Wednesdays PCM. He said we would be caught up and that only air drivers would be needed on Saturday, when he should have been honest and followed the contract by posting a sign-up list for the work and then forcing from the bottom up rather than allowing people to make holiday plans and then informing us at 5:00 on Friday night that we all had to work the next day.

Last edited:
P

pickup

DOT hours and your paid hours for UPS are different. Breaks don't count toward your DOT hours.
IE, I often work over 71 hours, but I am still in compliance. (Two 10 minute breaks/day).
Just an FYI, you may need more than a click...

Okay , I didn't consider the breaks as many feeder driver jobs technically don't have them.