705 strike poll!

Waht do you want to happen if 705 strikes?

• I want the International to order a company-wide strike.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I want my local to strike.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I want to work and not be involved in this.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • If the Union orders a strike, I will work anyway.

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • I want to work, but will not cross any picket lines.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I will work AND cross any picket lines.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Good luck 705, hope it doesn't affect me.

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters

This not a time for separation. we all better stick together and back them. This what the company wants to see. Im not sure what brown cafe member says divided we beg, think about it.

Then don't isolate yourselves, ask to be part of the master.

over9five

Staff member
This not a time for separation. we all better stick together and back them. This what the company wants to see. Im not sure what brown cafe member says divided we beg, think about it.

But we are seperated. The 705 members negotiate their own contract, and seem pretty darn proud of it. Are you saying that UPS planned to divide us by having 705 have their own contract? That IS planning ahead!

I think if unity was the goal, 705 would have joined the rest of us in the national contract years ago. But unity is NOT the goal. I think the goal of 705 was always to negotiate after the rest of us for a better deal than the rest of us. And I'm NOT saying that's a bad thing. Good for them if they can do better, but they gave up the "unity" part for the "better deal" part. I don't think you can ask people to stand with you when you don't stand with them.

If they were to strike, I'll wish them the best, I won't cross their picket lines, but I'll be working as usual.

As we used to say "That's why you make the big bucks".

How many bucks does it take to buy you?

What are they taking away from YOU that YOU are currently entitled to? I'm seriously asking.

One is the five day CONSECUTIVE workweek. You talk about your family,how would you like to guess from week to week what days your working and try and have a life? Two is the loss of seniority if you are on comp or fmla. The fmla part is a violation of federal law. Three is the part time starting wage remaining at $8.50. I started at $8 23 years ago. Those are the top three,the list is long. One thing I know from experience is once you let them take something you will never get it back.

Things change. People change. Interest rates fluctuate. (Bonus points for who can tell me what movie that came from)

You like movie quotes here`s one for you.
"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant,that few stood against many"

But we are seperated. The 705 members negotiate their own contract, and seem pretty darn proud of it. Are you saying that UPS planned to divide us by having 705 have their own contract? That IS planning ahead!

I think if unity was the goal, 705 would have joined the rest of us in the national contract years ago. But unity is NOT the goal. I think the goal of 705 was always to negotiate after the rest of us for a better deal than the rest of us. And I'm NOT saying that's a bad thing. Good for them if they can do better, but they gave up the "unity" part for the "better deal" part. I don't think you can ask people to stand with you when you don't stand with them.

If they were to strike, I'll wish them the best, I won't cross their picket lines, but I'll be working as usual.

Do a little research. Many a contract year we settled at the same time,some years before. Don`t assume because....well you know the rest.

helenofcalifornia

Without the Teamsters as our Union, we would be another Fedex. We all know that Fedex drivers envy our wages and our benefits. And we would not have these benefits without the Teamsters. Yeah, the Teamsters aren't all they could be, but we would not have our benefit package without them.

I don't know how many times I have had to defend my Union job to others. Are you kidding me??? Who in their right mind would not want to earn what we do?? And part timers should go work for Fedex if they want to earn $10.50?? Well, yeah, if when they drive they want to top out at $22 after 10 years.

Nobody likes a strike. But didn't UPS just NET 13.5 billion last quarter in a down economy?

I will step back and let the arrows come my way. Remember, don't aim for the knees. My excellent benefit package just paid 100% for a new one.

moreluck

golden ticket member
'Nobody likes a strike. But didn't UPS just NET 13.5 billion last quarter in a down economy?'

UPS didn't hit even 1 billion last quarter!!! $800 + some million

705red

Browncafe Steward
Labor fights are, for lack of a better term, stupid. Don't like what you are paid? Then quit & see who else pays you the same amount for the same work. When there is a 5 year waiting list for your job, you have it good. I don't give a damn what company you work for.

As we used to say "That's why you make the big bucks". What are they taking away from YOU that YOU are currently entitled to? I'm seriously asking.

Things change. People change. Interest rates fluctuate. (Bonus points for who can tell me what movie that came from)
Any 5 days of work in a 7 day period
All ptimers will receive a different insurance
All new ptimers will not get benefits for 1 year 3 for family
4 year progression to top out
New top out for package is $24 an hour
On call feeder drivers
Subcontracting
Seniority will now be broken by workers comp, fmla, or disability
Fmla will not protect your job, but ups will give a job
no holidays for new employees for 1 year
Eliminating 22.3 jobs that we struck for in 97
8 hour work days 2xs a month

These are serious issues to all involved, if we take this contract ptimers will never be able to go ftime and then they would make less than the guy next to him doing the ame job. We take pride in doing our jobs and we expect the company to take pride in its employees.

Can you put in article numbers so us uninformed people can confirm all this please. Because without us able to confirm what you say it's all rhetoric.

Much like when the company side posts. It`s been discussed in numerous posts now. Its posted on the union website. Put as much effort into looking it up as you did in thinking up that comment even though it`s already Tieguys comment.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
How many bucks does it take to buy you?

Well, I'm working for $8.50/hour now plus benefits, so ....

One is the five day CONSECUTIVE workweek.

I COMPLETELY agree that this is a reasonable request.

Two is the loss of seniority if you are on comp or fmla.

fmla would be against federal law, so it would not survive the contract. comp goes under "things change, people change, interest rates fluctuate"

Three is the part time starting wage remaining at $8.50.

And this I have to disagree with the union with. That wage completely blows, and everyone knows it. It is at that number, however, due to all the other benefits we DO have. When (if) the economy picks up again, UPS will have no choice to raise this, as they won't be able to get new hires at all soon without raising that number. To strike with this as a main point would be silly. Supply and demand will eventually rectify this.

You like movie quotes here`s one for you.
"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant,that few stood against many"

I don't know - something with gladiators, blood, swords, and a huge death toll I'm betting. Far from the situation we have here.

Look, I'll stop posting on this subject. I meant no offense. I just feel lucky to have a job.

Any 5 days of work in a 7 day period
All ptimers will receive a different insurance
All new ptimers will not get benefits for 1 year 3 for family
4 year progression to top out
New top out for package is $24 an hour
On call feeder drivers
Subcontracting
Seniority will now be broken by workers comp, fmla, or disability
Fmla will not protect your job, but ups will give a job
no holidays for new employees for 1 year
Eliminating 22.3 jobs that we struck for in 97
8 hour work days 2xs a month

These are serious issues to all involved, if we take this contract ptimers will never be able to go ftime and then they would make less than the guy next to him doing the ame job. We take pride in doing our jobs and we expect the company to take pride in its employees.

When you say package tops out at 24hr you mean they are trying to have a 2 tier pay system?

Also I telling you from experience you do not want to go to a on call feeder system because it will starve guys, were im at (710) some guys are lucky to make 25000-30000 there first year because they are on call and there is no garuntee for hours. I know someone will say u can work inside loading or unloading trucks for 8hrs but they pay you the top hourly wage for a loader which isnt very much, and you might loose a chance at a run that day.

Basically I think the company is asking alot for a guy to sit by the phone 24hrs a day. in our contract it says 12:01am monday to 11:59pm friday(from what i heard they are trying to change it to 7 days a week instead of 5) and not pay him anything, and a guy must be avaiable to show up within a hour usually, so that elimates a driver usually finding a 2nd job because no one wants you to just get up and leave when ups calls. In the end though you may go broke it does pay off. But some people dont survive.

To me they are asking some drivers in 705 to take a pay cut by asking you guys to go to a on call board.

comp goes under "things change, people change, interest rates fluctuate"

We`ll see how you feel about that if you ever go on comp. When you come back and junior people have passed you by on the path to advancement let me know what starts to fluctuate.

And this I have to disagree with the union with. That wage completely blows, and everyone knows it. It is at that number, however, due to all the other benefits we DO have. When (if) the economy picks up again, UPS will have no choice to raise this, as they won't be able to get new hires at all soon without raising that number.

The economy has been up and down since 1986. Why hasn`t the starting wage followed? It won`t be the $8.50 an hour that will prevent UPS from getting new hires it`ll be the health benefits. If new hires have to wait as long as the company wants to get health they won`t be working here. At that point they will go for the highest dollar where ever it may be.

To strike with this as a main point would be silly. Supply and demand will eventually rectify this.

It is one of the main points not THE main point. Every workers main point will be different based on whats the most important to them.

I don't know - something with gladiators, blood, swords, and a huge death toll I'm betting. Far from the situation we have here.

Wait till Friday.

Look, I'll stop posting on this subject. I meant no offense. I just feel lucky to have a job.

You`re more than welcome to post.

S

stan

All I can say is that this contract negotiation would have done better a couple of years ago. Right now the economy is in the tiolet and lots of people would be lining up to take your jobs even with a pay reduction. Good luck trying to squeeze out more.

You have terrible timing.

mrvngrdns

Retired 710 here, I've not posted, but have been reading with interest. I owe everything I have today to both UPS and the Teamsters, and am forever indebted to them. That being said, I had no problem backing the national in 97, and would never, repeat never, cross a picket line. And to me, somebody who does, spits in the face of the brave people who sacrificed to get us what we have today. Good luck 705, this 710er is fully behind you.

S

sceptic

driver

After watching the ridicules outing of the UPS beancounter protest here I will not allow 705's power grab to undermine my income or job security. This is a big game to some people. Not too me because I need to work.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The place to disagree with your fellow union members is at the union hall, not on the picket line.
Ask yourselves this question; do the management negotiators argue with one another at the bargaining table? No. Once they square off at the table across from the Teamster committee, they form a united front. We need to do the same.
Whether or not it is a good idea for 705 to have a seperate contract is an issue that may indeed be worth debating. It is, however, a seperate issue from whether or not we should support their strike. If they walk and we all scab out and cross their lines, what kind of negotiating power do you think we will have in 5 years? None.

Re: driver

After watching the ridicules outing of the UPS beancounter protest here I will not allow 705's power grab to undermine my income or job security. This is a big game to some people. Not too me because I need to work.

What do you mean? I think that guy was braver than anyone here.

bellesotico

BOXstar
The place to disagree with your fellow union members is at the union hall, not on the picket line.
Ask yourselves this question; do the management negotiators argue with one another at the bargaining table? No. Once they square off at the table across from the Teamster committee, they form a united front. We need to do the same.
Whether or not it is a good idea for 705 to have a seperate contract is an issue that may indeed be worth debating. It is, however, a seperate issue from whether or not we should support their strike. If they walk and we all scab out and cross their lines, what kind of negotiating power do you think we will have in 5 years? None.

THANK YOU!

10000000 rep points to you! (its the thought that counts right?)

Last edited: