74 lb basic pkg

25yrvet

I delivered a 74 lb 'basic' pkg to one of the small POs on my route today. The pkg was from Brylane. No matter what your opinion of 'basic' pkgs, you have to giggle at the thought of me doing my best to put on happy face while carrying it in the back door. I have a pretty good relationship with the skinny (and cute) postmaster, but giggled all day long at the thought of her and her long nails, tight pants and tight white shirt trying to give the pkg to the ultimate addressee--an elderly lady.

wornoutupser

Since when is a basic pkg allowed to be over 5 lbs? That is the limit here and I have filed for it and won after i grabbed the tracking number. Over 5 lbs to the PO is not allowed in Florida!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since when is a basic pkg allowed to be over 5 lbs? That is the limit here and I have filed for it and won after i grabbed the tracking number. Over 5 lbs to the PO is not allowed in Florida!

Does the pkg then get RTSed or does your center change the service level and then bill the shipper for the difference, to include the Over 70 surcharge?

barnyard

KTM rider
I wondered about that at Christmas last year. I talked to our shop steward and he said, "I'll look into it." Nothing came of it.

That's good to know that there is a limit.

On another note, I have a shipper that ships out 70+ lb shopper release packages regularly. I explained the service and he said that he was not worried about a signature because he only ships to businesses.

TB