8 hour day?????

barnyard

KTM rider
MPR just had a discussion on productivity and the 8 hour work day.

clicky

Managers at UPS are in denial about productivity, safety and long days. Talking to UPS managers about excessive OT is like talking to tobacco executives about the dangers of smoking.

barnyard

KTM rider
The article states that after 8 hours productivity goes down. Goes way down if a person is working more than 50 hours a week.

I wish UPS would accept the fact that they can either have a great safety picture or lots of drivers over 50 hours.

Not both.

code5

Its not just the hours or work, its how the day is structured. OT doesn't bother me if I was able to start earlier, then have some evening where I was no longer a UPSer and could have some downtime to be me. I realize UPS isn't like that but most jobs that require overtime are structured where you work earlier, not later.

Everyone is different I suppose, but my thinking is in the majority.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree I don't mind a little overtime actually prefer about 9 hours of work. What I do mind is that meaning I get home after 7 every night.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Can't start early, because pre loads get wrapped late cuz feeders come late because twi held us to put pkgs in feeders from brownies kept out late the night before !! Vicious cycle that won't end !!!

UPSGUY72

The article states that after 8 hours productivity goes down. Goes way down if a person is working more than 50 hours a week.

I wish UPS would accept the fact that they can either have a great safety picture or lots of drivers over 50 hours.

Not both.

The problem that your going to have is proving that your production went down so much after the 8 or 9 hr that it costing UPS more money than putting another driver on the road for 8 hrs and paying him benefits for those 8 hrs ups isn't paying on your benefits after 8hrs and they are saving money on the cost of having another car on the road.

Anyways if your production took such a bif decline after you 8 or 9 HR you would find yourself getting a talking to about you not meeting your SPHOR mark and being paid over. So as long as your meeting your SPHOR mark and your running scratch or close your declining productivity after the 8 hr isn't hurting the bottom line.

barnyard

KTM rider
Anyways if your production took such a bif decline after you 8 or 9 HR you would find yourself getting a talking to about you not meeting your SPHOR mark and being paid over. So as long as your meeting your SPHOR mark and your running scratch or close your declining productivity after the 8 hr isn't hurting the bottom line.

My production does not take that big a hit later in the day, but my focus and concentration does.

I would bet that most of us are safer in the 1st part of the day than we are at the last part of the day.

UPSGUY72

My production does not take that big a hit later in the day, but my focus and concentration does.

I would bet that most of us are safer in the 1st part of the day than we are at the last part of the day.

That is a good theory but I would suspect that the numbers don't back it up..

UPSGUY72

Until you do shift work and have altered circadian rhythms, you don't know tiredness! I have been doing it for 15 years straight.

estimated 25% of people who do shift work suffer from this, including myself.

Shift work sleep disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank globalization.

I did shift work for years in a paper mill 6 days a week we switch shift on Sunday the only day I had off was either Mon, Wed, or Fri depending on the crew I was on...

To top it off If your replacement called in you had to stay at least 4 more hours if they couldn't find somebody to cover the shift but you could just take the whole 8 hours before they asked anyone else. If you got stuck they would buy you lunch if you stayed 8 hours you got 2 meals tickets. I worked 48 hours a week and got paid for 60. Saturday was at time and a half and Sunday was at double time... Not counting any extra time I picked up.

The pay was great but I was never home home... The wife made me change jobs..

code5

According to researchers, you are in the minority.

No, i dont think i am. Are you saying the majority of UPS drivers like punching out at 8, 9 or even 10 p.m?

The ones around here that like it also steal time by going as slow as they can. Most (not all) drivers that want the OT eventually dont want to work for it, then feel its their right.

Like i said, most jobs that require overtime, punch in before 9am which allows for a more balanced lifestyle.