8 hour guarantee?

UPSmechanicinblue

Have question on Central Region and Michigan Ryder. This is for the day we worked after Thanksgiving and the super Saturday before Xmas. Day after Thanks giving I was granted to work the 8 hours for my guarantee, but super Saturday I was told I was on call. I'm a mechanic and the only one at our Center. First I was told I could work my 8 hours then it changed to I had to be on call only if they needed me. If they needed me I could only come in and do a pay actual to fix DVIR's that where generated on that day then go home. I am only one so bottom sonority but there is a wording where any full time person put to work shall receive an 8 hour guarantee but mechanics also have a four hour when being called to work after completing there shift. Also nothing was said prior to me leaving work the week before. I always work my 8 hours, rarely cut short of 8 unless sick. So my questions is what is my guarantee if put to work like this and do I have to be on call? Also I'm a Teamster not machinist Union. Hard to make family plans for weekends when I'm put on call esp just before the weekend holiday starts and have to wait around all day and wait until 6PM if I have to work that night or not. Thanks

UPSmechanicinblue

I would like to add this went on with Drivers also being forced to work pay actual super Saturday. Please only answer if you know for sure because we want to file next time this happens and need to know what all to use when we do.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I would like to add this went on with Drivers also being forced to work pay actual super Saturday. Please only answer if you know for sure because we want to file next time this happens and need to know what all to use when we do.
UPSmechanicinblue,

What is keeping you from filing this time?

Sincerely,
I

UPSmechanicinblue

Integrity, Didn't file cause I don't know if there was a contract violation and time has also passed. This is why I asked the question incase it happens in the future. Thanks

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, Didn't file cause I don't know if there was a contract violation and time has also passed. This is why I asked the question incase it happens in the future. Thanks
UPSmechanicinblue,

I would recommended filing on the issue and sort out the contract language you would use.

Paid for time would be one that could be a fall back.

Hourly employees should be compensated for time on call.

If it were me, I would contact my steward, tell him I want to file and ask for assistance in putting together the most reasonable grievance possible all things considered. JMHO.

Sincerely,
I

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In the Central Region you have 90 days to grieve a payroll shortage and there is no such thing as "on call", except for feeder drivers.

UPSGUY72

In the Central Region you have 90 days to grieve a payroll shortage and there is no such thing as "on call", except for feeder drivers.

If my boss called me and told me I was "on call" I would take that as I have the day off if I want it and not answer the phone if UPS called back. On the other hand if he told me I was on call and I wanted to work I'd show up on time and request me 8 hrs.

UPSmechanicinblue

Thanks for the replies. I just want to be prepared for when they ask me to do this again and or put me to work to do a pay actual I will request my 8 hours-if they don't I will file on that. Also need a clear answer on what to say when they tell me I'm on call due to I have to work as directed. Also my local only has two mechanics two different building so stewards and BA are not real knowledgeable when it comes to us. They did work with me when I told them I had plans for Saturday and they allowed me to come in Sunday in need be. There where no write-ups from any drivers so I didn't work earthier day. So they are working with me. Also all new management in our department.

UPSGUY72

Thanks for the replies. I just want to be prepared for when they ask me to do this again and or put me to work to do a pay actual I will request my 8 hours-if they don't I will file on that. Also need a clear answer on what to say when they tell me I'm on call due to I have to work as directed. Also my local only has two mechanics two different building so stewards and BA are not real knowledgeable when it comes to us. They did work with me when I told them I had plans for Saturday and they allowed me to come in Sunday in need be. There where no write-ups from any drivers so I didn't work earthier day. So they are working with me. Also all new management in our department.

In my center the days they are working hrs worked sat / sun before x-mas, new years eve, My SUP and / center manager will say today is a hrs worked day if there is anyone that wants 8 hrs let me know.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
1791d1348536119-any-one-else-think-spelling_police.jpg

nicky

Not in your area, but our contract the 8 hour rule is iron clad. If you make me come in I have the right to 8 hours of pay guaranteed. The only way a pay actual ever happens is if I agree to it.

nicky

I have no idea what the language is in yours area but if its the same as mine then you would have a very valid argument.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Nicky-so why not my area? is there something in the central or Michigan rider that overrides the master?
It is in your area. The Central Region Supplement is very clear and there are no exceptions. The Michigan Rider does not address this so you fall under the Central Region Supplement.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 7

Each full-time employee put to work shall have a daily guarantee of

eight (8) hours of work. Any full-time employee reporting to work

and not put to work shall receive six (6) hours’ guarantee. The guarantee

may be broken by request of the employee using the appropriate

company code.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla, Thanks!!!!!! would there be any other article to use on grievance beside all other articles that may apply?
This is the only article that applies. but it never hurts to put on a grievance form the following 3 lines...

...and all other articles that may apply
...requesting to be made whole
...further facts to be presented at hearing