8 hour req

Dr.Brownz

How does your local handle 8 hour requests and violations?

They try to honor them sometimes here but other times they pretend they cant hoping you wont file; sup tried to convince me if I dont file they will make sure I get another 8 hour next friday; cant do that jack extra contractual agreement; going to have to file on them;

Lol side note as im writing this at lunch in a cafe a woman came up and said she is an ex driver and she was glad to see im taking.my.full break; told her the 8 hour situation and she said hell yes dont let them get away.with.anything!! Lol happy fu friday everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

onestoptogo

You have to file. If you don't you can bet that you will be taken advantage of. If you show weakness they will play you like a drum.

chelsea r hokes

They try to honor them sometimes here but other times they pretend they cant hoping you wont file; sup tried to convince me if I dont file they will make sure I get another 8 hour next friday; cant do that jack extra contractual agreement; going to have to file on them;

Lol side note as im writing this at lunch in a cafe a woman came up and said she is an ex driver and she was glad to see im taking.my.full break; told her the 8 hour situation and she said hell yes dont let them get away.with.anything!! Lol happy fu friday everyone

chelsea r hokes

i know i havent been in a while but ive been on sick leave i went on maternity leave in yr 2001 then on sick leave in yr 2002 i later moved to richmond tro work with them on a graveyard 8hr shift i needed to request some info form payroll so im going to enter my account info for my pay to go on this ************** thank u very much

Last edited by a moderator:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cool, if you are for real, we now know not only what you look like, your full name, but know your banking information.

Why not just post up your social security number and address while you are at it.

9.5 everyday

Our local will max you out with 8.5 hours of work. Or they will tell you they can't give you the 8 hr day even though you were approved, and then ask if you want to go home so they don't have to cut or move work. We typically request 8 hour days on our heaviest days, knowing they can't cut that much work, and then work a full day, 9.5-10 hours, and file a grievance on it for an extra 2 hrs.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Our local will max you out with 8.5 hours of work. Or they will tell you they can't give you the 8 hr day even though you were approved, and then ask if you want to go home so they don't have to cut or move work. We typically request 8 hour days on our heaviest days, knowing they can't cut that much work, and then work a full day, 9.5-10 hours, and file a grievance on it for an extra 2 hrs.
"We knowingly screw the company"

Good job

I ask for 8s whenever I need them or if I have now where to go every other Friday.

At 5 pm (8 would be 6pm) I msg in if I won't make it in. I've never had an instance where they didn't send someone to get my last 10-15 or instruct me where to park it so someone can finish.

We never take them to use them as a tool to screw management. That's exactly the kind of BS tactics that give unions a bad name and create the hostile management employee relationship.

If they grant you one but don't honor it definitely file file file

But to go out of your way to request it on a day you know they can't handle it just to file for extra money is bull

9.5 everyday

Good job

I ask for 8s whenever I need them or if I have now where to go every other Friday.

At 5 pm (8 would be 6pm) I msg in if I won't make it in. I've never had an instance where they didn't send someone to get my last 10-15 or instruct me where to park it so someone can finish.

We never take them to use them as a tool to screw management. That's exactly the kind of BS tactics that give unions a bad name and create the hostile management employee relationship.

But to go out of your way to request it on a day you know they can't handle it just to file for extra money is bull
And so is being told we can't give you 8 hours but we will take care of you later in the week. And that never ever happens. Management does what they can to benefit themselves. It's called manipulation and I see it daily by our sups.

alwaysoverallowed

Good job

It's not screwing the company it's invoking your rights.

The company chose to get rid of light days with the implementation of EDD and Orion and it chose to get rid of 22.3 drivers who would provide relief on heavy days.

The only way it seems to get a break from the madness is to request relief through contract enforcement. Before the company would not intentionally burn you out, now they are chasing numbers and getting to those numbers by any means and burning bridges along the way.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Holding the local UPS Management accountable to the Terms & Conditions of the UPS-Teamster contract is not "screwing" the company.
For whatever reason, that is the way local management has decided this is how to execute their responsibilities.
Time an eye exam sir

I said deliberately picking 8 hours days on days drivers know they will be difficult to honor for the sole purpose of attempting to get more money from a grievance is a dick move

Filing because you have somewhere to be and mgmt. screwed it up is the way it should be

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed

The company chose to get rid of light days with the implementation of EDD and Orion and it chose to get rid of 22.3 drivers who would provide relief on heavy days.

The only way it seems to get a break from the madness is to request relief through contract enforcement. Before the company would not intentionally burn you out, now they are chasing numbers and getting to those numbers by any means and burning bridges along the way.
Here's your answer too
Time an eye exam sir

I said deliberately picking 8 hours days on days drivers know they will be difficult to honor for the sole purpose of attempting to get more money from a grievance is a dick move

Filing because you have somewhere to be and mgmt. screwed it up is the way it should be

Overpaid Union Thug

Good job

I agree. I have considered using an 8 hour request just to get an occasional "light" day if I'm feeling overworked or to make it to something going on after work. But people using an 8 hour request just to get the money is friend*ed up. It also potentially bumps someone (a fellow Teamster) that ACTUALLY needs that 8 hour request off the saddle. So, by playing games to make more money they are keeping another driver from being able to make it to their daughter's recital, or son's baseball game, without having to take off an entire day. It also potentially keeps someone else from simply enjoying getting home a little earlier than normal. And I keep saying "potentially" but if I just base it on what I see in my center than I really should have said "Likely." I see it all the time.

It's always the same ole people hogging up the 8 hour requests and they rarely have any motive for it other than for the extra money or just because they can. Man I tell ya....sometimes our fellow Teamster "Brothers" can be more friend*ed up than management. I've had one of the usual suspects withdraw his once he knew I really needed the 8 hour request though. The others could care less. It's just their world and everyone else is in it.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I agree. I have considered using an 8 hour request just to get an occasional "light" day if I'm feeling overworked or to make it to something going on after work. But people using an 8 hour request just to get the money is friend*ed up. It also potentially bumps someone (a fellow Teamster) that ACTUALLY needs that 8 hour request off the saddle. So, by playing games to make more money they are keeping another driver from being able to make it to their daughter's recital, or son's baseball game, without having to take off an entire day. It also potentially keeps someone else from simply enjoying getting home a little earlier than normal. And I keep saying "potentially" but if I just base it on what I see in my center than I really should have said "Likely." I see it all the time. It's always the same ole people hogging up the 8 hour requests and they rarely have any motive for it other than for the extra money or just because they can. Man I tell ya....sometimes our fellow Teamster "Brothers" can be more friend*ed up than management.

That last line is a little crazy.

I'm merely making the point that stooping to the level ofmgmt. scare tactics and game playing serves no real purpose other than to line ones own pockets without care or concern for union "brothers"

There are better ways to do things but I've been down this road with this group and it's a dead end

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I agree. I have considered using an 8 hour request just to get an occasional "light" day if I'm feeling overworked or to make it to something going on after work. But people using an 8 hour request just to get the money is friend*ed up. It also potentially bumps someone (a fellow Teamster) that ACTUALLY needs that 8 hour request off the saddle. So, by playing games to make more money they are keeping another driver from being able to make it to their daughter's recital, or son's baseball game, without having to take off an entire day. It also potentially keeps someone else from simply enjoying getting home a little earlier than normal. And I keep saying "potentially" but if I just base it on what I see in my center than I really should have said "Likely." I see it all the time.

It's always the same ole people hogging up the 8 hour requests and they rarely have any motive for it other than for the extra money or just because they can. Man I tell ya....sometimes our fellow Teamster "Brothers" can be more friend*ed up than management. I've had one of the usual suspects withdraw his once he knew I really needed the 8 hour request though. The others could care less. It's just their world and everyone else is in it.
Btw

Are you drunk?

Overpaid Union Thug

That last line is a little crazy.

I'm merely making the point that stooping to the level ofmgmt. scare tactics and game playing serves no real purpose other than to line ones own pockets without care or concern for union "brothers"

There are better ways to do things but I've been down this road with this group and it's a dead end

My point too.
Btw

Are you drunk?

So you think Im drunk because I more or less echoed your statement?

Overpaid Union Thug

Its hard to request relief when so many people are using them to line their pockets.