8 hr guarantee

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
So to make this short & sweet
180 stops done at 4 told by supe can't guarantee me 8 hrs unless im willing to work 8 I told him "no"! His response was well then you can work hrs only I said ok. As I am walking out 2 more drivers come in, if they get paid for 8 shouldn't I?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
180 stops done at 4 told by supe can't guarantee me 8 hrs unless im willing to work 8 I told him "no"! His response was well then you can work hrs only I said ok. As I am walking out 2 more drivers come in, if they get paid for 8 shouldn't I?

Yes, you are entitled to an 8 hour guarantee just like they are. However, the company has every right to make you work the entire 8 hours that they are paying you for.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
As usual it depends on the language in your regional and local supplements.
Here, in the Central Region, the answer is you are guaranteed your 8 hrs and are not required to go back out after returning to the building having completed your assigned work.
Check with your steward or BA.
This forum is a terrible place to obtain contractual advice as we are all subject to different supplemental language.

over9five

Staff member
Here, in the Central Region, the answer is you are guaranteed your 8 hrs and are not required to go back out after returning to the building having completed your assigned work.
This forum is a terrible place to obtain contractual advice as we are all subject to different supplemental language.

Can they make you sweep floors or clean package cars up to your 8? (ie, work you, but not send you back out)

SWORDFISH

+1, unless as stated above the person is in under the same langauge as you.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
Naah wouldn't complain at all. I've been on a different rt everyday last week. However this is the best i've felt since my heart attack, and yes I might have walked really fast to a few stops but believe me it's not because I wanted to burn up the rt but its because my body COULD and it was 37.45 stops an hour and it felt great. I will probably never repeat that but my heart and body felt great and wth I still need to drop some weight! !
But the gripe still stands why was I told hours only and the next driver who came in as I was going home got their 8hr guarantee.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I wonder if the poster returned to building first or was all the talking with supervisor done via DIAD or phone...just saying.

bigblu 2 you

dude, you can lean on a broom for a few hours or stretch 180 stops out over 8 hours. i would recommend you think of your future,180 today 200 next week 300 next month,ups is never satisfied,just sayin.....and think of they guys following you.they might not want to work like a under aged aisian shoe maker,

Braveheart

I would file for the 8 hour guarantee and add indifferent treatment as others were given the exact same thing you asked for but were denied.

That is discrimination. Next time tell them who can I go help then. Sometimes they want to keep the numbers looking pretty so they will say screw it come in.

Make sure you take your full lunch too.

UPSGUY72

I wonder if the poster returned to building first or was all the talking with supervisor done via DIAD or phone...just saying.

Good question I never call when I'm done I just return to the building. I also never pick up the DIAD if the light goes off on the way back to the building untill I pull into the pump and turn off the my car after all we are not suppose to look at the DIAD while driving. Then If they want me to help someone or do a on call I send a message already back at building and the clerk sends it to someone else. I als been walking in to put my DIAD away and gotten a message I looked at the clerk and said sorry not today. I always gotten my 8 hour guaranteed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The intent of the 8 hr guarantee was to insure that anybody who came in to work would get a full day of work for a full day of pay.

It was never intended to require the company to pay employees for work that they didnt do. And I have never understood the mentality of someone who would burn through a route in 6.5 hours, go home, and expect to be paid for 8. If you want to be paid for 8 hours you should be willing to work for 8 hours.

over9five

Staff member
The intent of the 8 hr guarantee was to insure that anybody who came in to work would get a full day of work for a full day of pay.

It was never intended to require the company to pay employees for work that they didnt do. And I have never understood the mentality of someone who would burn through a route in 6.5 hours, go home, and expect to be paid for 8. If you want to be paid for 8 hours you should be willing to work for 8 hours.

+1