8 hr requests.

BlackCat

I am curious as how this is handled in other locals.

Scenario:

You are over dispatched on a 8 hr request (we do not have the option to bring stuff back like other locals) and file a grievance the next day.

The companies stance is that you can either

A. Pick another day
B. File a grievance in exchange for your 8 hr request.

I think that option "B" is complete bullshyte and I have argued until I was blue in the face (I am not a steward) that a grievance payout is not a replacement for my contractual 8 hr requests.

How have some you guys handled this and how can I break this vicious cycle?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Scenario:

You are over dispatched on a 8 hr request (we do not have the option to bring stuff back like other locals) and file a grievance the next day.

A. Pick another day

I think that option "B" is complete bullshyte and I have argued until I was blue in the face (I am not a steward) that a grievance payout is not a replacement for my contractual 8 hr requests.

I go with C.
Get paid the violation and get to pick another day.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I like my option better. Park my package car at my satellite location at 8 hours and inform management that there are stops left in it.
More often than not those pieces are gone when I report to work the next day.

ManInBrown

Scenario:

A. Pick another day

I file every time. I’m not interested in another day. Grievances do not work, if you don’t file on every single thing. Eventually they take notice and realize you’re not the one. Plenty of drivers I work with get violated on everything. 9.5 and 8hr requests, but they don’t file grievances. Might as well not even be on the 9.5 or request 8 hour days of you are not going to file. They take notice, and know who they can walk all over.

Would I rather have my 8 hour day instead of 2 hours penalty pay? Of course. But it’s their game and I’m just a chess piece. But I make them pay. My last seven 8hr requests have all been honored. Before that I was violated every time, and I filed every time. I’ve been sent out with a 7-7.5 hour dispatch on every one. Eventually it does work.