8 months into PDS

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's already possible. Our sups have dispatched other centers from ours and have done ours from other buildings too. It's been a long time since that has happened though. I liked to watch the cursor move around on the computer screen and try and figure out what they hell they were thinking on the other end. Some of us would "accidentally" touch the mouse and that would cause the PDS to lose their connection on the other end. The phone at our center would usually ring within seconds and that PDS would give whoever answered an earful.
I picture a bunch of cubicles in China with people making $2 an hour.

the start of this job was pretty rough, I'm now getting the hang of things and getting better at it, but I must ask. Why is the PDS job so under appreciated? I come in every day and do my absolute best to plan the drivers at the best day possible. While some are cool with what I've given them I've still got a few that just give me heck everyday and tell me that I'm stupid or just complain like there is no tomorrow. Why do they do this to me? why are my efforts going un-noticed?
Some peoe are cool and some aren't. Don't let the ones that aren't get under your skin. They just aren't cool.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Good because I can tell that you're a driver that complains and nothing is ever good enough for you.

"That would be nice" was a joke
Wrong again. I have a great relationship with my pds and only bring stuff to him that is broken or a mistake. He's an experienced, good guy who gets it right way more than he gets it wrong. When i rarely bring something to him he takes care if it promptly and usually apologizes if he dropped the ball.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

While some are cool with what I've given them I've still got a few that just give me heck everyday and tell me that I'm stupid or just complain like there is no tomorrow. Why do they do this to me? why are my efforts going un-noticed?
They call you stupid and you just take it? Push a little. If they think you are a pushover they are going to keep doing it until they get what they want.
I know that. I've become friends with a lot of the drivers. There's some everyday that are just picky and want to stir up crap
That's how it's always going to be. There will always be people unhappy with how you dispatch them. We have guys in my center who rave about how great their dispatch is and others who call the guy some terrible names. Just the name of the game.
Before I leave I fully expect dispatch to be done from a remote location.
It will get to that point I'm sure. But depending on how many years you have left, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all done by a computer.

Dispatch, in my opinion, is the most thankless job at UPS. No matter what you do someone is going to be unhappy. I feel bad for the dispatch sup in my center. Our FT on car does an overwhelming majority of the dispatch and the guy catches crap for it every single day.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I was told when a section is empty those pal numbers can't be regenerated after they've been cut so when they add they just add to the end. The system is flawed for everyone. Maybe try spa'ing the add to an open floor spot and the loader can figure it out easier? That's how my Pds roles anyway

wayfair

swollen member
I got to defend loaders here. How is a loader supposed to know he has 40 stops for 7900?

here, they tape a load diagram of each shelf to the back of the car..

yesterday I had over 80 pieces(resi's) that were supposed to be loaded in section 7 and 0 pieces to be loaded in section 8.
those 80 pieces were 3 different neighborhoods that are not connected at all. needless to say at 2 pm I had to spend 20 minutes to sort and load section 7..... again

letticesandwich

You are correct Dr.Brown. An empty shelf when others are overflowing is not too smart. When I loaded I found that diagram useful, if it was an accurate and displayed the bulk stops.

I should have elaborated, I meant an add cut all pal'd withing a few digits of each other. But then again, when those happen, usually it gets moved in a bulk fashion. All the add cuts come at once and its easy to get stacked out.

Overpaid Union Thug

Another thing that throws a wrench into the whole dispatching process is the current, corporate mandated, practice of having the preloaders write the SPA on the box with a crayon and facing it outward instead of the PAL. Whoever came up with that idea needs to be taken out to the front lawn of UPS headquarters and should be publicly quartered by the slowest moving horses that can be found. We are already dealing with piss poor dispatches that are compounded by the foolishness that is ORION. We don't also need to be looking for one box among many that all have the same number that, at best, is scribbled on the sides. At least with PALs we can see the addresses.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Another thing that throws a wrench into the whole dispatching process is the current, corporate mandated, practice of having the preloaders write the SPA on the box with a crayon and facing it outward instead of the PAL. Whoever came up with that idea needs to be taken out to the front lawn of UPS headquarters and should be publicly quartered by the slowest moving horses that can be found. We are already dealing with piss poor dispatches that are compounded by the foolishness that is ORION. We don't also need to be looking for one box among many that all have the same number that, at best, is scribbled on the sides. At least with PALs we can see the addresses.

Especially in areas that have a lot of send-agains. Having like 3 different numbers scribbled all over a box, plus the route number where applicable plus the service crosses...huge mess.

Overpaid Union Thug

Especially in areas that have a lot of send-agains. Having like 3 different numbers scribbled all over a box, plus the route number where applicable plus the service crosses...huge mess.

I have to spend anywhere from 10-20 minutes "facing" packages on some routes. I'd rather do it all at once while I'm parked out of the way of traffic than having to deal with that mess at every stop and possibly while blocking traffic.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
the start of this job was pretty rough, I'm now getting the hang of things and getting better at it, but I must ask. Why is the PDS job so under appreciated? I come in every day and do my absolute best to plan the drivers at the best day possible. While some are cool with what I've given them I've still got a few that just give me heck everyday and tell me that I'm stupid or just complain like there is no tomorrow. Why do they do this to me? why are my efforts going un-noticed?

The real issue here is that you have ZERO working experience to do the job effectively. Looking at mapquest and moving work around is the equivilent of you sitting there blindfolded and throwing a dart at a dartboard.

The job of the PDS should be done by a senior driver who should "BID" on the PDS job. Someone who has been on the streets for YEARS. Someone who knows and understands commit times for all aspects of the job. Schools, businesses, secondary air and pickups. Only a senior driver understands the traffic patterns of all streets and the delays on those streets in the center.

A senior driver would also understand the limitations of truck size or cube space available. A senior driver would have the knowledge base of residential deliveries, such as long walks, flights of stairs, parking access, locked gates or buzzgates condos vs apartments and simple single family homes.

This combined experience compiled over years through "hands on" reality would really make the role of the PDS more effective, yet the company, in a cost savings move, decided to put young people without a basic understanding of the job in charge of the dispatch.

No offense, but you really arent qualified for the job.

Riding along with drivers is like saying I stood beside Bill Belichick on the sidelines during a game and now I can coach a NFL football team.

The company's attempt to "dumb down" jobs has only resulted in larger service failures, rather than increasing effectiveness.

The mistakes made by the PDS around the country are endless. Some of the decisions have caused some really disastrous results.

The role of "whoever" is PDS, should be one that is based on the person with the most experience in a center who can rationalize decisions and provide the center with the most effective moves that satisfy the "customer" and not atlanta.

This is the largest disconnect between the PDS and the drivers. The PDS has no decision making authority to override Atlanta when the plan comes down the pike. If Atlanta says cut 8 cars, you have no choice but to cut 8 cars and pile work where ever you can put it regardless of the time delays or service failures it will cause.

The role of the PDS in its current form, will vary depending on size and location of the center. In a rural area, the decisions may not be so tragic, but in a metro area with large numbers of cars, it isnt uncommon for routes to be destroyed to the point where 4 drivers are splitting up work at 830pm just to get done.

Those kinds of decisions make it alot easier for drivers to become unfriendly or even hostile toward the PDS.

Lets be honest, you got the job of the PDS not because of your vast delivery experience over time, but rather, because you hold some computer skills and you can look at a map.

I can say that you dont have the experience to understand "cube space" or capacity after a driver makes pickups, and your knowledge of a pickup extends only to the number of pickups themselves. A driver may blow out after pickups and yet still have 60 stops to complete, and the strain of not having anyplace to put the deliveries other than in a pile so the pickups would fit is the biggest mistake most PDS operators make.

This not only complicates the delivery of the final stops, but it also takes away the effectiveness of the driver and delays the driver to the point where maintaining a decent sporh goes right out the window.

The company really needs to re-evaluate the role of the PDS as it moves forward. Putting in young people who never worn browns longer than a couple hours is never going to be an effective operating practice.

In no job anywhere, does a company put the least qualified person to run the most important part of an operation other than UPS.

Nothing personal, just an observation.

TOS.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I know, between the pal label and the original label there are already two addresses on each package. Now write it a third time and load an extra car!

wayfair

swollen member
You are correct Dr.Brown. An empty shelf when others are overflowing is not too smart. When I loaded I found that diagram useful, if it was an accurate and displayed the bulk stops.

I should have elaborated, I meant an add cut all pal'd withing a few digits of each other. But then again, when those happen, usually it gets moved in a bulk fashion. All the add cuts come at once and its easy to get stacked out.

I did mention to the preloader that when he sees that diagram and knows nothing is to be loaded in that empty section, that he needs to make a decision to split that section up, let's say 7000-7499 in section 7, then 7500-7999 in section 8.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have to spend anywhere from 10-20 minutes "facing" packages on some routes. I'd rather do it all at once while I'm parked out of the way of traffic than having to deal with that mess at every stop and possibly while blocking traffic.
I deliver air then bulk stops first half of the day then around lunch I fine sort my truck so I do virtually no digging.

bumped

You're not gonna like this answer but we can't see that on the computer. If your loader was smart he would've put the cut in the 4000-4999 shelf where nothing was and notified you what he did

My loader is not given the ability to make changes. When 2 of his cars are switched in the lineup the loader can't load to the car. The PT sup tells him he can't even though he knows the 400 pieces won't fit in the p7.

You as a PDS can make half the people happy. When the PDS takes off my crappy time consuming ghetto apartments and give me the nice DR neighborhood I'm ecstatic. The driver you gave those apartments to do after 6pm is not so happy.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I deliver air then bulk stops first half of the day then around lunch I fine sort my truck so I do virtually no digging.
I was a swing or cover driver and my approach was to never sort through the vehicle.
I just delivered once in trace and when I made pickups, I would deliver the missed pieces.
As long as the PC was moving, I was making planned time.
The SPH may go down but the over/under looked pretty good.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was a swing or cover driver and my approach was to never sort through the vehicle.
I just delivered once in trace and when I made pickups, I would deliver the missed pieces.
As long as the PC was moving, I was making planned time.
The SPH may go down but the over/under looked pretty good.
Yeah I encourage new drivers trying to make seniority to do that and "mini-sorts" when necessary, but I'd rather take the 10-15 minutes to be more efficient for the remainder of the day and to cut down on my frustration.