8hr Day memo?

Oceanview

I’m 28 years old 6 year former 113 Laborer former scaffold builder. I’ve been driving package cars for ups for a solid 11.5 months. In which I’ve never been given an 8 hr day due to my low seniority. Now being a strong union guy that I am, I can’t believe how much UPS get away with. What would be the apporiate way to ask all my center union brothers who drive to ask for a 8hr day everyday?? Im aware that we only get these 2x’s a month and isexcluded during peak.. and the delivering of Furniture is insane. I was Unaware that we were low key 2 men in a truck “minus the other man.” And this whole buying a flashlight to see at night is a set up. Meanwhile drinking my water while driving is frowned upon but us holding a flashlight while driving is acceptable?? Why not add a spotlight? Imo we shouldn’t have to buy a flashlight just so we can all do our jobs. Btw I don’t use a flashlight, if it takes me longer to complete the job so be it. When it gets dark and I have 62-70 stops left I smile. But if we all ask for our 8hr day everyday and when we don’t receive them ups will have to pay so much in grievances. What I’m asking instead of ranting really is, can I print out a bunch of memos on my own time asking fellow drivers to exercise their 8hr work day everyday and place them in every package car. I don’t care about becoming a target I do everything by the book and all I’m asking is for ups to do the same.

El Correcto

god is dead
Are you full time or what? Need to know what region you’re in as well. Also cut all the extra out, UPS don’t care about your feelings, I doubt browncafe will have much to offer in that area as well. Union activity on the clock isn’t what they are paying you for, be careful and address problems with your ba or union steward.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I’m 28 years old 6 year former 113 Laborer former scaffold builder. I’ve been driving package cars for ups for a solid 11.5 months. In which I’ve never been given an 8 hr day due to my low seniority. Now being a strong union guy that I am, I can’t believe how much UPS get away with. What would be the apporiate way to ask all my center union brothers who drive to ask for a 8hr day everyday?? Im aware that we only get these 2x’s a month and isexcluded during peak.. and the delivering of Furniture is insane. I was Unaware that we were low key 2 men in a truck “minus the other man.” And this whole buying a flashlight to see at night is a set up. Meanwhile drinking my water while driving is frowned upon but us holding a flashlight while driving is acceptable?? Why not add a spotlight? Imo we shouldn’t have to buy a flashlight just so we can all do our jobs. Btw I don’t use a flashlight, if it takes me longer to complete the job so be it. When it gets dark and I have 62-70 stops left I smile. But if we all ask for our 8hr day everyday and when we don’t receive them ups will have to pay so much in grievances. What I’m asking instead of ranting really is, can I print out a bunch of memos on my own time asking fellow drivers to exercise their 8hr work day everyday and place them in every package car. I don’t care about becoming a target I do everything by the book and all I’m asking is for ups to do the same.
Bring it up at a union meeting, don't do it on company property or time. All it will take is for a few of the drivers to throw your memos on the floor and Ups will make a big deal about it.

Oceanview

Are you full time or what? Need to know what region you’re in as well. Also cut all the extra out, UPS don’t care about your feelings, I doubt browncafe will have much to offer in that area as well. Union activity on the clock isn’t what they are paying you for, be careful and address problems with your ba or union steward.

Yea I’m a full timer in the midwest region. It’s not about my feelings it’s about all of us being able to get that pension after 30 years. And with all bulk :censored2: on our trucks it’s not going to happen. But your right I don’t get paid for union :censored2:. Then how do I reach the people who don’t go to union meetings?

El Correcto

god is dead
Yea I’m a full timer in the midwest region. It’s not about my feelings it’s about all of us being able to get that pension after 30 years. And with all bulk :censored2: on our trucks it’s not going to happen. But your right I don’t get paid for union :censored2:. Then how do I reach the people who don’t go to union meetings?
You can’t. People are going to make their own choices. Best you can do is keep filling, take advantage of all benefits and work by the book. You are understandably upset, but in time you’ll just see those miserable :censored2:s for the kiss asses they are, always fearing management retaliation and killing themselves to make the numbers.

542thruNthru

Ok wait... I'm confused. You say you can't get a 8 hr day because of low seniority but you want to ask all the drivers to request a 8hr day. Why and what do you think this will accomplish?

Oceanview

Ok wait... I'm confused. You say you can't get a 8 hr day because of low seniority but you want to ask all the drivers to request a 8hr day. Why and what do you think this will accomplish?

So everyone can collect grievances.. I don’t care for an 8hr day I just want to get pad. plus it will keep the sups a little busy trying to figure out a schedule instead of driving around spying on us

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

File for penalties immediately and continue filing more 8 hour requests. Talk to your brothers who are having the same issues. After enough penalty pay there will be extra routes.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
File for penalties immediately and continue filing more 8 hour requests. Talk to your brothers who are having the same issues. After enough penalty pay there will be extra routes.
I wouldn’t count on it. My center was paid 30grand in 9.5 money last August. There were no extra routes, and still aren’t.

5408039.gif

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I request 8 hour days 2-3 days each week every month. The first three are automatically granted as I am at the top of the totem pole on the seniority list.
Many others are granted if the center has not received the maximum number of requests on any given day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
10 hour is our 8 hour day. Always been that way, always will...