9.5 as a cover driver less than 4 years

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I’ve gotten on the list. They have already begun changing my route and renaming it some days. I still get 12 hours a day and the route still has a lot of similar stops, helping the same areas just different residentials (still in same town) and businesses(still in same town) with about 40 stops out of 130 remaining the same. Do I still have a chance to file and get my hours reduced?

Also I’ve heard UPS can’t force me to use my phone, I plan on leaving it in my car for now on. What is my responsibility when it comes to providing a mapsco or something to navigate with? I don’t plan on intentionally sabotaging my job. I just don’t plan on doing them any favors such as providing things I don’t have to free of charge. The way I’ve been treated for requesting less hours and insisting Gthey follow the contract has been disgraceful.
They should provide a map. I don't know too many drivers here using GPS. Personally, I think if they are paying you well enough, you should try to learn the area on your own. It makes things easier for you. Being surprised with a blind route is one thing, but if you live nearby or deliver in that general area, its on you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They should provide a map. I don't know too many drivers here using GPS. Personally, I think if they are paying you well enough, you should try to learn the area on your own. It makes things easier for you. Being surprised with a blind route is one thing, but if you live nearby or deliver in that general area, its on you.

Living on or near your delivery area and delivering in that are not one in the same.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are exactly the same as delivering in any other area in the county.

You may have missed my point.

I am not from here originally but was stationed here (1982-83) and came back when I left the military in 1989, which was the same year I started w/UPS. I was a casual for 11 months and ran several bid routes begin bidding on my current one. Although I knew all of the streets I did not know all of the delivery points and other nuances unique to that route.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
You do know that we can print the map with all the dispatched stops on it right? We usually print 2-3 pages for the route and most of the drivers seem to work with it just fine.

Ask the PDS or a ORS, its not perfect like the (ADC Map) but it works.

TIP: Buy an ADC from Barnes and Noble and write it off on your taxes. Make your job easier...

and quit being a D##k about the phone...

You do know that we can print the map with all the dispatched stops on it right? We usually print 2-3 pages for the route and most of the drivers seem to work with it just fine.

TIP: Buy an ADC from Barnes and Noble and write it off on your taxes. Make your job easier...

Is ADC an atlas? If so, it don’t work.

IIIIII

I’ll quit being a dick about the phone when they quit going out of their way not to honor the contract. Seriously renaming the route? How petty can you get.

I only wanted two businesses taken off the route that get about 1 to rarely 6 packages a day. The route I wanted them to be moved to delivers the entire section besides these two businesses even has a pick up there before 5, the other driver agrees with me. It’s a 10 - 15 mile round trip for me about 2 minutes for him.

I’m running close to 200 miles a day on a route I could do in 140 with dramatically less hours because of spread out businesses and next day airs.

IIIIII

Also I’ve asked my ORS for a print out map before Incase my phone died while learning a new route, he laughed and said Ups hasnt and never will provide maps.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Also I’ve asked my ORS for a print out map before Incase my phone died while learning a new route, he laughed and said Ups hasnt and never will provide maps.

Damn, we must have the same boss

Mine said the exact same words

Must be what they teach’em at SBTS

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Aren't all of those things you are suggesting considered to be an "in-cab distraction", Dick?

Tip: Writing off a map book from Barnes and Noble doesn't make it free, only discounted, while costing me money twice....

....once when I buy it and secondly when it saves time on route.

Btw, this job is always easy, when you know how to flip the script on arrogant, lazy, conniving, and unethical supervisors.

Last edited:

Dr.Brownz

You don’t have a route of your own yet correct? Your bid is cover? So are you also still in progression? Have you had the opportunity to bid a route of your own? How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own. That may not be the same everywhere but my recommendation to get better protection under the 9.5 language is to bid a route. They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works. You seem like you’re basically trying to argue that you’re on the same route under a different name. Why not just follow the contract better from a past practice perspective and bid a route? Path of least resistance my friend.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.

Uh nope. Just because dispatching 9.5 for a cover driver is tough for management doesn't mean anything. If the cover drivers in your center had any balls they would be filing for 9.5

You are what is wrong with this company. Management who will take advantage and twist the contract in anyway they can to make their lives easier. Meanwhile good employees are becoming bitter from being screwed over. Get the big picture :censored2: