9.5 as a cover driver less than 4 years

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure what you are saying here. Are you saying me not bringing my phone to use or refusing to use my phone will be malicious compliance or will the company be thrown on their ass for saying my phone is an in cab distraction?

He is talking about the DIAD giving turn by turn directions.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
There's no need to work hard to get off early. You get paid days off/personal days. If you have a legitimate reason to get off early you should make it known as soon as possible and management should try to accommodate you. Just as there's no reason to not take an hour paid lunch break.
“Management should try to accommodate you”

LMAO!! What Planet are you from

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
“Management should try to accommodate you”

LMAO!! What Planet are you from
If management can cut 400 packages and add two trucks 30 minutes before driver start time, they should be able to relieve a driver of 10-15 stops so he can visit his dying father in the hospital.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
You can run around fighting on this hill if you want, but your DIAD will give you directions soon enough. No, Billy Bob in Testicles, TN might not have GPS but 90%+ of the routes will.

Complaints about "Distractions in the cab for safety" will be perceived as what they really are - malicious compliance to safety rules - by any arbitrator or judge who probably has navigation of some form in his or her own personal vehicle.
Testicles, Tennessee sounds like a nice place

MC0493

If management can cut 400 packages and add two trucks 30 minutes before driver start time, they should be able to relieve a driver of 10-15 stops so he can visit his dying father in the hospital.
Only if it's convenient for them otherwise "there's nothing we can do" Or "i got nothing" When you ask for help or less work.

Dr.Brownz

What are you talking about? No reason to want to visit your dying father, packages need to be delivered.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’ve gotten on the list. They have already begun changing my route and renaming it some days. I still get 12 hours a day and the route still has a lot of similar stops, helping the same areas just different residentials (still in same town) and businesses(still in same town) with about 40 stops out of 130 remaining the same. Do I still have a chance to file and get my hours reduced?

Also I’ve heard UPS can’t force me to use my phone, I plan on leaving it in my car for now on. What is my responsibility when it comes to providing a mapsco or something to navigate with? I don’t plan on intentionally sabotaging my job. I just don’t plan on doing them any favors such as providing things I don’t have to free of charge. The way I’ve been treated for requesting less hours and insisting they follow the contract has been disgraceful.
I don't get the issues here.

You're already on the list. File every week you go over 3 times. Pretty simple.

35years

Gravy route
mvol50, post:
How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

WRONG!
If he continues to file 9.5s the labor manager will instruct, yes INSTRUCT an on-car like you, and your boss the Center Manager, to cut the dispatch.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own.
WRONG!
National master language makes you either a liar or ignorant.

They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.
WRONG!
No such thing as a "lock in".
As long as he is not intentionally dogging it to an extreme, he will win at panel. Been there, done that.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works.
WRONG!
The OP has stated that he is doing the same area with a different name. Easy to prove. It is not like he is delivering a different area each day. This is the exact situation where a cover driver will win his 9.5 grievance.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.
Ignorant... or manipulative, disrespectful on-car.

35years

Gravy route
Also I’ve heard UPS can’t force me to use my phone, I plan on leaving it in my car for now on.

With a steward present, tell your center manager (in writing) that UPS is not to call your cell phone. Also they are to destroy any record of your cell phone number they have, and contact you via home phone or DIAD text only. Any attempt to do so will result in a grievance...Problem solved.

35years

Gravy route
Lock-in ride?

Before the ride:
-
Did he have the loader give you a perfect load?
- Were any bad stops (or areas) taken off your load before you came in,or during the day?
- Did you ask the loader and other drivers?

During breaks (which you will take during the most inconvenient times) and after your day, stay away from the sup and write down every time the sup helped you while still fresh in your mind, such as...

-Did he open and close doors, including the pkg car side door?
-Did he touch any pkgs? Did he straighten the load?
- Did he visually scan the load and tell you where one is that was missorted?
-Was he in the back of the truck sorting/straitening?
- Did he call out to you when a customer came out of a house to save you steps?
-Did he assign your on call p/u to a different driver?
- Did he encourage you to leave any in-sight or in weather DRs?
-Did you make attempts at 2 neighbors for each send-again, did he tell you not to... or point out who he saw was home?
-Did he handle customer questions you would normally have to answer?
-Did he handle DIAD texts instead of you?
-Did the center contact him on his cell for situations you would normally handle?
-Did he instruct you to write up off areas as missed or difficult stops as emerg. cond. rather than doing them?
-Did he encourage you to do unsafe acts, or acts violating the methods or service commitments to save time?
-Did he call ahead to p/us to see if they had anything?

OVERALL
-Was the ride on 3 random days, or were they only during nice weather, or never on Tuesday or any other particular day?
-Were they scheduled ahead of time so he would not exclude a difficult or inclement weather day, if it turned out that way?
-Did he reschedule your ride because of weather or high/low volume?
-Did he manipulate your day in any way including more stops in easy areas, or more/less stops than what is typical?

AFTER THE RIDE
-Ask the other drivers in your area if they did any of your work.
-Make contact with the loaders to make sure he was not in your truck before the day, or manipulate your dispatch.
-Ask your customers if they were serviced by any other UPSer.
-Get all documentation in order asap.
-Keep a daily log

Don't alert him that you are aware of his manipulations until they present their case at the hearing. Then bring out your documentation. Everything in writing, with times/locations.

Last edited:

IIIIII

I don't get the issues here.

You're already on the list. File every week you go over 3 times. Pretty simple.
When you are under 4 years and not on a bid route you have to be on the same route for five consecutive days.
The problem is them renaming the route I run and taking replacing bulk stops with a business heavy street. They also change my residentials up, make it look like a new route even though it’s still pulling work on the same areas.

IIIIII

Lock-in ride?

Before the ride:
-
Did he have the loader give you a perfect load?
- Were any bad stops (or areas) taken off your load before you came in,or during the day?
- Did you ask the loader and other drivers?

During breaks (which you will take during the most inconvenient times) and after your day, stay away from the sup and write down every time the sup helped you while still fresh in your mind, such as...

-Did he open and close doors, including the pkg car side door?
-Did he touch any pkgs? Did he straighten the load?
- Did he visually scan the load and tell you where one is that was missorted?
-Was he in the back of the truck sorting/straitening?
- Did he call out to you when a customer came out of a house to save you steps?
-Did he assign your on call p/u to a different driver?
- Did he encourage you to leave any in-sight or in weather DRs?
-Did you make attempts at 2 neighbors for each send-again, did he tell you not to... or point out who he saw was home?
-Did he handle customer questions you would normally have to answer?
-Did he handle DIAD texts instead of you?
-Did the center contact him on his cell for situations you would normally handle?
-Did he instruct you to write up off areas as missed or difficult stops as emerg. cond. rather than doing them?
-Did he encourage you to do unsafe acts, or acts violating the methods or service commitments to save time?
-Did he call ahead to p/us to see if they had anything?

OVERALL
-Was the ride on 3 random days, or were they only during nice weather, or never on Tuesday or any other particular day?
-Were they scheduled ahead of time so he would not exclude a difficult or inclement weather day, if it turned out that way?
-Did he reschedule your ride because of weather or high/low volume?
-Did he manipulate your day in any way including more stops in easy areas, or more/less stops than what is typical?

AFTER THE RIDE
-Ask the other drivers in your area if they did any of your work.
-Make contact with the loaders to make sure he was not in your truck before the day, or manipulate your dispatch.
-Ask your customers if they were serviced by any other UPSer.
-Get all documentation in order asap.
-Keep a daily log

Don't alert him that you are aware of his manipulations until they present their case at the hearing. Then bring out your documentation. Everything in writing, with times/locations.
Yeah I went through a lot of lock in rides my first year driving. That was when I started taking my full hour lunch after qualifying. My manager is a petty excuse for a human being, I remember those dispatches I couldn’t even do them today with a full hour lunch, let alone a couple months into the job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When you are under 4 years and not on a bid route you have to be on the same route for five consecutive days.
The problem is them renaming the route I run and taking replacing bulk stops with a business heavy street. They also change my residentials up, make it look like a new route even though it’s still pulling work on the same areas.
If you're already on the list you don't have to be on squat 5 days.

You can file if you run 5 completely different routes.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Either way you should have above average knowledge of the area. You are hired to deliver things. Your employer having expectations if perfectly reasonable.
Just because you live nearby does not mean you know the area well enough to run that route. There are house number breaks to learn, culdasucs that you learn to turn around in. When it is the best time to start your pick ups and many other streets that you can't get through to make your next delivery. The only way to have an advantage in a route is to go out a couple of times and run it yourself and learn how to do it yourself. I lived in my delivery area and sure you know the main roads but residential streets are taught by running the route along with all the other tricks you pick up along the way.

dudebro

This is correct. No one goes around learning what house numbers are at each corner of their neighborhood, but the UPS driver learns that.

IIIIII

If you're already on the list you don't have to be on squat 5 days.

You can file if you run 5 completely different routes.
Hmmm I’ll see if that’s how it works in my local. BA acted like my situation would have to require documentation on how they change the route and if it was in or not. Cover drivers with less than 4 years on the 9.5 list seem to be a unicorn around this place. Feel like a walking bullseye, with everyone telling me different things on how it works.

RolloTony Brown Town

mvol50, post:
How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

WRONG!
If he continues to file 9.5s the labor manager will instruct, yes INSTRUCT an on-car like you, and your boss the Center Manager, to cut the dispatch.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own.
WRONG!
National master language makes you either a liar or ignorant.

They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.
WRONG!
No such thing as a "lock in".
As long as he is not intentionally dogging it to an extreme, he will win at panel. Been there, done that.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works.
WRONG!
The OP has stated that he is doing the same area with a different name. Easy to prove. It is not like he is delivering a different area each day. This is the exact situation where a cover driver will win his 9.5 grievance.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.
Ignorant... or manipulative, disrespectful on-car.

I’m not saying you can’t make a case.

Typical teamster: I’m right no matter what you say.

My point is based on past practice in MY center and what I have witnessed. Unlike the rank and file that complain on these types of threads, I only speak on what I see.

Drivers that don’t have a bid route or long term cover rarely win those grievances. File? You can file on anything. Actually get something from it? Doubtful.

Proof that they’re moving the work and changing the route? Also difficult to prove. Even if you filed weekly and followed up, odds are it ends up being a wash.

Any on car worth a salt will OJS his 9.5 opt-ins if he isn’t giving a decent performance. You can argue no such thing as a lock in, but notice I quoted it... but I haven’t had a paying 9.5 grievance in 3 years. Why is that? Because if they fail to maintain they don’t get their penalty pay either.

35 years... calling a person ignorant for stating what they’ve been through in their center is ignorance on your part. I’m a fair supervisor. I enjoy what I do and work well with my group. With so much hate, maybe you should look for employment elsewhere. Teamsters like you are the problem.

No labor manager will tell any center manager how to dispatch if they feel performance is an issue. Stating things like that is how you create hate within the company.

Want to file? You can file as much as you please son. Just like a supervisor can hand out warning letters without following progressive discipline. The CBA is argumentative for a reason and this message thread is a good example. You think you’re right because you read it one way. I’ve read it and in my experience, what I said is true and DOES happen.

If you want to file 9.5 then bid a route. Otherwise, use your 8 hour requests and make it painful that your sup won’t cooperate.

When you guys start acting like adults you may get somewhere. Anyone can file a grievance. The key is will you get paid for it. Probably not.

RolloTony Brown Town

Uh nope. Just because dispatching 9.5 for a cover driver is tough for management doesn't mean anything. If the cover drivers in your center had any balls they would be filing for 9.5

You are what is wrong with this company. Management who will take advantage and twist the contract in anyway they can to make their lives easier. Meanwhile good employees are becoming bitter from being screwed over. Get the big picture :censored2:

You aren’t reading. I’m trying to teach the lad to take the path of least resistance. Bid a freaking route! Why are you trying to help a cover driver reinvent the wheel?

I warned him of potential repercussions for his filing because they are a reality to the job.

I’m the problem? The problem is you’re telling him that he’ll succeed. I’m at least being a realist and honest about it. Wake up and smell the coffee

File if you want and push the issuse. Good luck in your quest but if you bid a route of your own you won’t have to reinvent the wheel. You’ll be covered. Mind you, most of these clowns didn’t file as covers anyhow.