9.5 contract language

burco8080

all employess will be paid at the rate of double time for all time work after 9.5 hours on any given day. Would this keep are workdays down plus bring more drivers on????

Packmule

all employess will be paid at the rate of double time for all time work after 9.5 hours on any given day. Would this keep are workdays down plus bring more drivers on????
Absolutely. Keep them from recklessly cutting routes, and even force them to let drivers keep helpers on longer during Christmas.

Indecisi0n

No. They pay 9.5 like its not even there in my center. They don't care. Now make being over 9.5 triple pay then maybe it would raise an eyebrow.

stink219

The reason for all the overtime is because it's cheaper to pay the overtime over paying for another employee plus health and welfare ect.

Notretiredyet

It wouldn't hurt, I'm getting tired of filing for my penalty pay every few weeks. Have two already for month of January to go along with the ones that were filed a week or so after my last ones were paid. Was out over 10.5 last night in the snowstorm, sending people home when heavy snow is predicted is ludicrous. AM meeting was hurry up and get in people cause there's bad weather coming later today. It was nice to see everyone from our management team had the chance to get home early though.

HULKAMANIA

What gets me is they dont care UNTIL you file. Then its OH OH can we get you to pull that grievance off the table? Lately it just keeps happening and keeps happening and keeps happening.
Heres what really burns me up about it. As drivers there are certain things we have to do and abide by, otherwise we get a piece of paper from UPS stating we are being disciplined. So why is it that management can keep 9.5 houring us with nothing done to them?

stink219

What gets me is they dont care UNTIL you file. Then its OH OH can we get you to pull that grievance off the table? Lately it just keeps happening and keeps happening and keeps happening.
Heres what really burns me up about it. As drivers there are certain things we have to do and abide by, otherwise we get a piece of paper from UPS stating we are being disciplined. So why is it that management can keep 9.5 houring us with nothing done to them?
Funny thing is, they do have the ability to pull the grievance off the table. But UPS lives in a reactive state not proactive. The answer is, If they abide by the 9.5 rules, there would be no grievance on the table. It's just another scam used by them. File file file!!!! Every chance you can.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I am all for anything that will make it more expensive for them to leave us out for 10 11 12 hours. Until that happens they are not going to stop cutting routes. This is a subject that is worth fighting for. It will do at least 2 things, improve work moral and add jobs.

barnyard

KTM rider
No. They pay 9.5 like its not even there in my center. They don't care. Now make being over 9.5 triple pay then maybe it would raise an eyebrow.

It's interesting to me that you and others have mentioned that the company has no problem paying 9.5 grievances in your center and being on the list does nothing. Every year, in my center, we have a couple more people join the 9.5 group and it drives my bosses nuts. They HATE paying the penalty and do whatever they can to avoid it.

For those that do not know..... a 9.5 day is over. To be considered under, it is a 9.49 day. Guy just wrote a grievance yesterday. Had 3 days right at 9.5, followed by a couple of 10.5. He will get penalty pay for the 3 days at .01. The bosses flipped. They thought they had dispatched him under and had the cushion to screw him. He shrugged his shoulders and said, "They are your numbers and you can read them just as well as I can."

The loop I am in now, all the drivers are on the 9.5 list. It is sweet.

barnyard

KTM rider
Actual. Where are u 9.5 language is under the national contract.

It is funny how the bosses try to work both sides of that fence. I covered a route and was generally an hour+ under-allowed. I was going out with an 11 hour plan. I grieved over 9.5 and won. The preload supe asked me how they should dispatch, since I was always an hour under. I said, "Really, it is too easy. Dispatch me for 9.5 every day and I will do the rest."

Supe says, "That would be too little work for you."

I shrugged and said, "Keep doing it your way and I will keep filing. There is an easy way and a hard way, you seem to be picking the hard way."

Since that whole conversation, my planned day is rarely over 9.5. If it is, I will gently point it out and ask them how long they want to play that game.

I have no problem giving my best effort, if they give me their best effort at keeping me under 9.5 (9.49 actually.)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Actual. Where are u 9.5 language is under the national contract.
Central States - we follow the supplemental language which does not include a 9.5 list or penalty pay. I can only file a greivance stating my displeasure.

Ok your right we have 9.5 language but we don't get the penalty pay. I'm kind of on the side of what's the point then? If anyone can give me a decent reason as to why ups would cut stops without penalty please I'm all ears.

barnyard

KTM rider
Central States - we follow the supplemental language which does not include a 9.5 list or penalty pay. I can only file a greivance stating my displeasure.

I am in Central States also. No penalty pay, but my bosses get very irritable when we file. The benefit to me has been noticeably shorter days.