9.5 contract language

oldngray

nowhere special
Would it be fair to make it a requirement that a driver filing for 9.5 penalty be no more than .5 hour overallowed?

That assumes a fair time allowance. At one time it was done that way but in my center they messed with the numbers so almost everyone was overallowed. If the drivers are under they had no excuse to pressure them to work harder like they do if the numbers say they are over. I went from being 1/2 hour under to 1/2 hour over on same route I had been on for years. And also the issue of constant pocket dispatch with drivers crossing each other to do each others work instead of loop dispatch as its supposed to be done.

AKCoverMan

Would it be fair to make it a requirement that a driver filing for 9.5 penalty be no more than .5 hour overallowed?

The problem is the "planned day" number is not always accurate. And the "planned day" assumes that you are operating in perfect conditions with a perfect load that runs in perfect trace. Sometimes that works out but usually not so much.

The driver cannot control the "planned day" number only the actual. I get it.. people can sandbag it then file for extra penalty pay, and I don't know how you prevent that.

What I do know is I give the same effort on every route I run. I am not a "runner" but I do want to get done, I am not dragging my butt just to milk the clock. Some routes I consistently come in scratch or within an hour. Others, even when I feel I had a good, smooth day; stops falling off the car almost on there own..and I look at the WR next day and I am two hours over. Huh??

Mostly I use the over/under as a gauge only within the context of that route.. if I run it all week I like to see the over shrink during the week. Otherwise, to borrow a line from corporate speak: "It is what it is!"

iruhnman630

Double-time for anything over 10 hours across the board, 9.5er or not. Go after the financial advantage of cutting routes.

Funny thing this week, every stop I EC'd on Monday night due to the snow was off the route that got cut.

barnyard

KTM rider
So if you run an 8.8 dispatch and it takes you 9.8 you can't file?

So if you run a 9.8 dispatch and it takes you 8.8 you also can't file?

I do not think about those kinds of things. Seriously. I could never be a criminal, my mind is not wired that way. When I have filed, I was always under-allowed and it was always very, very consistent. Another driver that filed, was also very, very consistently 1 hour over. His grievance resulted in a 1-week performance ride. His numbers stayed the same.

It is really, really important during a performance ride not to let the supe do ANYTHING. If a stop takes 2 trips to the truck, that is what it takes. Don't let the supe hold doors open or any of it. If you save 10-15 seconds a stop because the supe helps 'just a little,' you are screwing yourself.

Notretiredyet

This has been the subject of weeks of negotiations, the company denies its an issue. Everyone complains about the hours, few are willing to write a grievance. The applies to SVD, 8hr req and option days that are denied also. So many are afraid to rock the boat, then complain when someone on a neighboring route files and they get more work. JMO

slantnosechevy

No. They pay 9.5 like its not even there in my center. They don't care. Now make being over 9.5 triple pay then maybe it would raise an eyebrow.

We have triple time and they pay it. Here it's based on hours worked not the planned day. A stop is a stop to them so we pushed for hours worked and got it. Their bitch has always been the cost of adding drivers, but when bottom 10% or non-bid drivers are working 2 or 3 days a week the company is still paying benies. The only savings is fuel. They get some of that back by reducing overtime.

This company will not reverse the current trend of high dispatch. They spent millions on the technology they have to find out what the human body can do. This is why they push the safety down our throats. They know the end result of tired employees and have tried to cover all possible situations to make every injury and accident our fault. The problem for them is there are hungry lawyers out there well versed in workplace violations. The Republitards are trying to circumvent all OSHA and DOT laws as we speak. UPS has donated monetarily to the cause.

stink219

This is the biggest problem with 9.5. Some want less dispatch and run it 2 hours early and some try to make any dispatch last over 9.5.

Wrong wrong wrong. We went to great lengths to prove inaccuracies in the "time studies". So it should be based on numerous factors. I personally think they should look at historical data. Which they do have.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Central States - we follow the supplemental language which does not include a 9.5 list or penalty pay. I can only file a greivance stating my displeasure.

It's the Central Region Supplement, (Central States is the name of the health and welfare fund) and we have curfews instead of penalty pay! If a driver is continually over 9.5 the panel will force the company to have that driver off the clock by a certain time no matter what!! If you ask me that's better than penalty pay! The down side is it will usually take at least 3 times of filling a grievance before you get to this point. The up side is the center manager usually will fix it before that point.

grgrcr88

It should be based on planned, not actual.

We get payed by the hour, over and under is simply a fictitious set of arbitrary numbers the company applies to people to try to get them to work unsafely. There is no planned day when it comes to anything contractual and never will be. 9.5 id based on time worked from punch to punch!!

stink219

Central States - we follow the supplemental language which does not include a 9.5 list or penalty pay. I can only file a greivance stating my displeasure.

It's the Central Region Supplement, (Central States is the name of the health and welfare fund) and we have curfews instead of penalty pay! If a driver is continually over 9.5 the panel will force the company to have that driver off the clock by a certain time no matter what!! If you ask me that's better than penalty pay! The down side is it will usually take at least 3 times of filling a grievance before you get to this point. The up side is the center manager usually will fix it before that point.
What is the remedy if UPS doesn't adhere to the curfew? Can the driver just bring it in at that time?

Ms.PacMan

Is that written somewhere? Because I'm not seeing it under Sec.12 Hours of Work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I filed ever week for almost 3 months last year. Nothing ever changed. Penalty pay is the only thing they notice.

upsset

It should be based on planned, not actual.

Once again I find it amazing that you are not in management......did they turn you down? Have you ever noticed that your planned dispatch seems to change with the number of routes that IE allows for that day? If you based the ability to grieve excessive over time on what management says is a reasonable day no one would be able to file.

grgrcr88

It is the panel decisions that have come down here that the curfew is used under the central region language. Our B/A has gotten several drivers curfewed. The company was at one point paying the penalty as in the National Master, but that language is not used in the central.