9.5 Extended Routes

During this year's (2011) route bidding, UPS designated over 20% of our bid areas as "extended area, no 9.5 protection" without negotiating with the local. I, and the local's president, believe it's in direct response to the number of 9.5 grievances filed by our satellite drivers, of course, the company denies it. Grievances went to Panel, which the company deadlocked. Do any other centers have the same issue, and if so, what are the guidelines in place that make an area "extended"?

Omega man

In many cases it is the additional work added to your route that increases your miles and puts routes in this category. What qualifies as extended area routes anyway? How is it defined? Is it in excess of a certain number of miles driven? The 9 5 committee is a joke. They keep changing the rules and have never defined them well from the start. File your grievances and let your Local take them to the panel.

over9five

Staff member
New rules for "Extended Routes":

Any route that leaves the parking lot can now be classified as "Extended".

Thank you,
Your Management Team

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
In my center, ALL satellites are excluded from the 9.5 rule. Which sucks for them because they are dispatched with a 12 hour plan everyday.

outta hours

I double checked the language. No mention of rural routes being excluded. File under article 6. They can "try" all kinds of things. Call them out on it. Or live with it forever.

M

MenInBrown

I will def. look in to that...I have been a sat driver for 4 years...the OT is ridiculous. I have found it strange that I hear nothing about how many hours I get and being the highest paid driver in our center.

CustomerConcern

We got hit with the "Extended" BS as well. Even though there is no language to support it the union has rolled over on it an just let the company rape us. Should have been a good contract had they decided to defend whats in it.