9.5 language not being honored

So I belong to a local in CT, I'm at top pay, (out of progression), however, I am a cover driver. We have all been told that cover drivers, regardless of time in the company, are not eligible to be on the 9.5 list by our Union Stewards, Union Reps, and Management team, (clear violation of the contract).
Who do I get in contact with to straighten this out? (Currently working until 10:30pm most nights) I know there is a 9.5 committee, but cant find details or contacts.

Any help appreciated

542thruNthru

So I belong to a local in CT, I'm at top pay, (out of progression), however, I am a cover driver. We have all been told that cover drivers, regardless of time in the company, are not eligible to be on the 9.5 list by our Union Stewards, Union Reps, and Management team, (clear violation of the contract).
Who do I get in contact with to straighten this out? (Currently working until 10:30pm most nights) I know there is a 9.5 committee, but cant find details or contacts.

Any help appreciated

What is their explanation for you not being allowed on the 9.5 list?

Are you a FT driver. (RPCD)
Do you have over 4 years as a FT driver. (RPCD)
Do you know what supplemental contract you are under?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Who do I get in contact with to straighten this out?

Even though it's getting a little late in the game for 9.5 (Nov 15th cutoff)

You still need to file a grievance.

I know there is a 9.5 committee, but cant find details or contacts.

The 9.5 committee is sub-panel of the National Grievance Committee. The only way

to reach that committee is through the grievance procedure. There is no direct

way to contact them.... and they wouldn't be able to to help, with out it being

docketed (for that panel) through your Local Union or grievance procedure.

-Bug-

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have a question pertaining to this. Our center is following the language in article 22.4a regarding any rpcd being able to opt in to the 9.5 list, but they are ignoring the "no outside hire" language. I will have to look a little deeper into our rider language on it, but I'm wondering if anyone has a similar situation going on.

542thruNthru

I have a question pertaining to this. Our center is following the language in article 22.4a regarding any rpcd being able to opt in to the 9.5 list, but they are ignoring the "no outside hire" language. I will have to look a little deeper into our rider language on it, but I'm wondering if anyone has a similar situation going on.

So you're saying they are hiring outside RPCDs?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So you're saying they are hiring outside RPCDs?

I meant 22.4b, sorry. They did hire one. I talked it over with the local prez, and he said he believed it was ok since we didn't have 22.4's, so the language didn't apply. But they are applying the 9.5 language from paragraph 12. I don't want to get to specific as to why I didn't push the issue, but there is a reason. But, if the next part timer in line wanted to grieve it, I would have helped him.

Looking at my local rider, the language there only pertains to centers with weekend ground delivery, so nothing in there should interfere with this situation.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I meant 22.4b, sorry. They did hire one. I talked it over with the local prez, and he said he believed it was ok since we didn't have 22.4's, so the language didn't apply. But they are applying the 9.5 language from paragraph 12. I don't want to get to specific as to why I didn't push the issue, but there is a reason. But, if the next part timer in line wanted to grieve it, I would have helped him.

Looking at my local rider, the language there only pertains to centers with weekend ground delivery, so nothing in there should interfere with this situation.

what a :censored2: show

542thruNthru

So the reason I ask is the no outside hires only applies to RPCDs when the building has 22.4s. I wanted to make sure you didn't mean they were hiring outside 22.4s.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So the reason I ask is the no outside hires only applies to RPCDs when the building has 22.4s. I wanted to make sure you didn't mean they were hiring outside 22.4s.

But then why would the 9.5 language for all rpcd's apply?

And the company could still hire 22.4 drivers off the street in the same 6 to 1 ratio. The "no outside hires" only applies to rpcds.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

But then why would the 9.5 language for all rpcd's apply? There is nothing in Article 22 saying the language only applies when the building is utilizing 22.4 combo drivers.

And the company could still hire 22.4 drivers off the street in the same 6 to 1 ratio. The "no outside hires" only applies to rpcds.

Screenshot_20191025-200022_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

542thruNthru

Crap, I missed that. Thanks.

Does that mean a center could use 22.4's even if they don't deliver ground on Saturday and Sunday? It kinda sounds like they have that option.

This was something that was brought up by many people on here. Bug said that the negotiations were taped this time. I would have to assume they meant ground delivery not just air. Though I could be wrong.

I am a full time RPCD with 5 years seniority as of now.

It's our UNION stewards and UNION representatives that are saying I do not qualify.

I fall under the New England Teamsters North Eastern Supplemental which states, "Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full time package car driver."

My argument is the use of the word "or". I fit into the third stipulation, however, all our UNION people say I need to have a route to be eligible, therefore, they will not file the grievance for me or others who are tired of being the go-to help staying out til 10-11pm
as a full-time package driver.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

It's our UNION stewards and UNION representatives that are saying I do not qualify.

I fall under the New England Teamsters North Eastern Supplemental which states, "Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employee with four (4) years of seniority as a full time package car driver."

My argument is the use of the word "or". I fit into the third stipulation, however, all our UNION people say I need to have a route to be eligible, therefore, they will not file the grievance for me or others who are tired of being the go-to help staying out til 10-11pm

You have 4 years driving and are full rate? Then you have a grievance. I don't know how you wouldn't qualify unless you are not on the 9.5 list. It doesn't matter now because we are into November but before that, you would have been qualified to be relieved from excessive ot.

542thruNthru

@Boston25 you want to answer this man?

Boston25

@Boston25 you want to answer this man?

Why wouldn’t you be eligible for 9.5? You would be eligible if you have 4 years as a package car driver.